Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acid, freak, wyrd folk and related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acid, freak, wyrd folk and related
    Posted: January 03 2018 at 12:37
Acid folk and various folk music styles have long been a big part of my musical diet. What are some of your favourites? Feel free to mention anything folky that you like, but I'm hoping to be turned on to some lesser-known stuff.

In PA, I love Comus, Perry Leopold, Spirogra, Catherine Ribeiro + 2 Bis, Vashti Bunyan, Linda Perhacs, Jan Dukes de Grey, Tim Buckley, The Incredible String Band, Pearls Before Swine, The Pentangle, Trees, Forest, I like, but don't love Broselmaschine, and like various music in Indo Prog/ Raga Rock (and psych) that would also count such as Malachi's Holy Music and Third Ear Band. Also Syd Barrett for his psych folk and It's a Beautiful Day.... And Griffin was one of my early musical loves (I think the first album has music that fits such an aesthetic well). You get the idea.

Outside of music in PA, one of my very favourite albums is The Wicker Man soundtrack. I love Exuma and Mark Fry's Dreaming with Alice I like a lot, especially for the song The Witch. I like Hölderlins Traum. And I like Matt Berry's folky music a lot. Charlie Cawood has some nice modern folky music. Lots of stuff I can't remember. I also found myself liking NeoFolk, but not its ideological associations. I also like fairly mainstream folk such as Joan Baez.

So what do you like, and while I've covered quite a bit of ground and perhaps should have tried to be more narrow-focused, what would you recommend for someone into such music?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 13:35
Never was a huge acid/psych folk fan, I'm more of the conventional type: Harmonium, Strawbs, Harper, Tull, Steeleye.

Barrett or Spirogyra are always good listens every now and then, par contre.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 13:45
^ I like those ones I hadn't mentioned too, especially Roy Harper's Stormcock.

{And I don't feel like editing my OP, but I meant to say Gryphon (as in the Midnight Mushrumps one). Think I mixed it up in my head with a psych band called Griffin (and there's a heavy metal one of the same name)}
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 14:17
Medieval/Baroque is really my kind of stuff (Gryphon, Renbourn, Malicorne, Motis)

Have you heard 'Conventum' from Québec, Logan?

Style: Hilarious-Folk
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 14:53
Comus.. goes without saying.

Mr Fox, Mellow Candle, Lal and Mike Waterson ('Bright Phoebus') come rapidly to mind; Its not Acid or Wyrd but Ashley Hutchings' 'Morris On' lps, the Albion country band, Steeleye Span's 'Hark the village waites' and of course Fairport's 'Liege & Lief'

Of a more contemporary nature, Circulus (Michael Tyack) are pretty zany!

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 15:29
I have a plan to get more familiar with Roy Harper.

I am grown up with Cat Steves whom have some folk influence, Tillerman and Teaser are folk rock masterpieces
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 15:55
For a modern band you could check out The Hare and The Moon:

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 15:58
^ Edit, thanks. I was originally planning to ask for some modern recommendations since I don't know that large an amount of modern folk stuff. That said, I have come across some Hare and the Moon before (in youtube searches), listening now and enjoying it.

Yep, love Conventum, Barbu. Malicorne is another I like. I also like the Medieval/Baroque kind of stuff, and was into those and Gryphon before I got into the acid folk. In high school, my Creative Writing/ English teacher kept a record collection, and I regularly put on Gryphon. Maybe that's why he gave me A pluses in his classes.

As for some others mentioned that I hadn't mentioned in my first post, I'm also big on Mellow Candle, and I really like Cat Stevens Harold and Maude soundtrack (but then I love the film). "Trouble" from it, which is on the album Mona Bone Jakon, is one of my all-time favourite songs, partially because I found it so poignantly used in the film..

Edited by Logan - January 03 2018 at 16:03
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:03

"I was never really a bone fide member of the folk scene," says Harper, whose 1960s and 1970s albums, including Stormcock, Sophisticated Beggar and Flat Baroque and Berserk are now considered classics -- and precursors to today's alternative folk genre. "I was too much of a modernist, really. Just too modern for what was going on in the folk clubs. I wanted to modernize music, but more than that to completely modernize people's attitudes towards life in general. I was involved in trying to bring meat to the folk music, which is a big mistake anyway." Roy Harper
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:08
This may be on the twee side for you, but I also quite like The Moon and The Nightspirit from Hungary:

Edited by Mascodagama - January 03 2018 at 16:08
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:36
Not too twee for me, though I don't really like it TBH. For a "Moon", I like TwinSisterMoon:

Edited by Logan - January 03 2018 at 16:40
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:38
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 11:23
^ That's a good song. I had really liked Jefferson Airplane, and this Kantner album with Grace Slick, David Crosby, Graham Nash, and Jerry Garcia album is something of an ending of an era album. Must say, I hadn't heard any of this album in years.

I hope discussion doesn't die out quickly in this thread. Condor, for instance, is very good at asking questions that make threads take off with spirited discussion, but I'm not so adept at setting things off.

I'd like to turn this into a general folk appreciation thread where hopefully many people can banter and discover music that might appeal to their tastes. Maybe I should rename the topic. I'll do a disco one, that might lead to some spirited debate -- although I much prefer dialectic.

I'll do a clip of one of my favourite folk songs (so simple and beautiful to me):

And a different version by Bunyan:

I should keep the embeds down despite my desires since that can cause some people problems accessing the topic.

Cosmic: by the way, I checked out Michael Tyack and enjoyed the music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asaY5Lx0eQk Circulus is wonderful -- I'm on youtube autoplay (fun way to listen to music, I find).

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 11:52
Nice idea for a thread Greg. Also happens to be a style of music I highly appreciate.

One of the first albums I thought of was Povl Dissing's Nøgne Øjne. I am not sure whether one needs to be Danish in order to appreciate Dissing's vocals, but it seems to help. The folks who reviewed Burning Red Ivanhoe's 6 Elefantskovcikadeviser (their best album imo and at times does show a lot of the attributes connected to the freak/psych folk scene) certainly didn't care for dear ol Povl. Personally I think he is the danish embodiement of freak folk...often suggested entirely through his mad vocals. I think they are rather beautiful myself.

Also Exuma's selftitled is another winner...even if it does sound like it was recorded inside a tinfoil skip. Caribbean coconut oil smooth like a cactus - or maybe chillax folk cacophony fits better? Brilliant little album though.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 12:33
Thanks, David. I love that Exuma album, and I like the second a lot too. It's one that everybody into freak folk, and into certainly into Caribbean junkanoo freak folk, should know. ;) One might glibly, and not I'd say accurately, describe Exuma as Comus on coconuts (I've heard that rancid coconuts can cause visions).

My memory is not what it once was, but I seem to recall you mentioning Povl Dissing before. I listened to a track off the album you mentioned on youtube and liked it. I can hear where the vocals in part might be an acquired taste to some, but I acquired the requisite tastes long ago (even if some think my tastes show a lack of taste).
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 14:59
Tyranosaurus Rex is also a important act in the development of folk. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tU9AbpBc2fA

Edited by Icarium - January 04 2018 at 15:03
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 15:18
A couple of years ago I saw a duo called 'Arch Garrison' in a very small gig; they are Craig Fortnam and James Larcombe both who play in North sea radio orchestra. It wasn't folk exactly but had a very English acoustic vibe with songs about Roman roads, Hill forts and ancient straight tracks across the chalk hills of southern England.

Talking of 'old straight tracks', the Ex Lindisfarne members who formed a band of that name, I fully recommend their first lp..

Not really folk but very folk influenced, 'Sume' from Greenland; their first lp 'Sumut' was released about 73 predominantly Inuit and sung in Greenlandic and definitely worth a listen.

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 13:55
For some lesser-known but great music check out Faun Fables, Carol of Harvest, Rabbit Rabbit.  

Two of my favorite obscure acid folk albums are both self-titled, Justine who were made up of Americans and Brits, and String Cheese which had connections to It's a Beautiful Day. 

And while I wouldn't consider them acid, freak or wyrd Errobi's 'Ametsaren Bidea' is a pretty killer Basque folk album with some funky sounds.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 18:40
I knew Carol of Harvest; like it.

Right now I'm on a major Robbie Basho kick.

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/robbie_basho

Edited by Logan - February 10 2018 at 18:40
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 20:00
Although i consider myself a metalhead, i am quite the folk adventurist as well. Most of the bands you cite as your favorites are high in my world as well. A recent interest in the indo-raga category here has expanded that world exponentially. In regard to the TwinSisterMoon suggested, they are a relativce of Natural Snow Buildings which i recently suggested to prog folk but actually feel they are more post-rock.

Outside of what has already been suggested, i'm a huge Buffy Saint-Marie fan. She was wyrd when Simon & Garfunkel were hip. Her lyrical screams of pain affect me deeply every time i dare play her albums. 

I find the French band Ripaille's "La Vielle Que L'on Brûla" to be somewhat freaky folky as well although it is uneven, it still has an overall vibe.

Personally i feel nobody did it better than Comus on "First Utterance." It simply doesn't get any better for freak folk. That was downloaded from the god-force, whatever that may be.

Exuma's first album is really pretty excellent as well.

If you extend the "folk" term globally then there are many excellent folk musicians. Some of my favorite comes from the Slavic countiries with Gypsy influence but i'm game for any style really no matter where. It's just that most of the time it's not weird enough for me to be OMG excellent! 

A quick question. Why did Catherine Ribeiro move to psychedelic rock from prog folk? I think she belongs where she was myself.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>