Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acid, freak, wyrd folk and related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 16:40
I've been meaning to drop this on the thread for a while:

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 22:42
From here mentioned I really like Comus, Pearls Before Swine, Incredible String Band, Tim Buckley and Roy Harper. Have to mention here UK Kaleidoscope, although it might be more fairytale psych pop, really great anyway. Also Finnish band Pihasoittajat has made really great album "Kontaten Kotia" which has also some prog mystic sounds.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 02:28
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

For some lesser-known but great music check out Faun Fables, Carol of Harvest, Rabbit Rabbit.  

Two of my favorite obscure acid folk albums are both self-titled, Justine who were made up of Americans and Brits, and String Cheese which had connections to It's a Beautiful Day. 

And while I wouldn't consider them acid, freak or wyrd Errobi's 'Ametsaren Bidea' is a pretty killer Basque folk album with some funky sounds.

Wheeeewwwww... thanks for saving our collective arses Clem, for neither Ken and I had spotted this thread...EmbarrassedOuchLOL

well, I guess we educated them enough that such a thread can happen without us, now Approve

I'll counter Clem's Justine with another UK/US duo called Subway

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

From here mentioned I really like Comus, Pearls Before Swine, Incredible String Band, Tim Buckley and Roy Harper.

Just so you know, Tom Rapp : RIP three weeks ago Cry

=======================

In terms of modern acid/psych/prog folk(-rock) (the wave that was called Wyrd folk), I can suggest the first two albums of PG Six (PG is for Pat Gubler), the whole of Espers (prefer Espers I and II, though) and a couple of early Tunng. I think only the latter is still active/touring as an act, though (fun concerts too). The Espers members are involved in their solo projects.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 07:01
Another one i really love that isn't on PA is Grizzly Bear. It was an acquired taste but they have some really bizarre compisitional styles.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 15:56
wow. Thanks for this thread. I have a lot to catch up on. The only Acid Folk I really know is Comus and I love them. Looking forward to checking out some others listed here.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 01:08
Have to recommend the self-titled EP by Księżyc - it's a Polish freak-folk cult classic. 

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 01:57
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Have to recommend the self-titled EP by Księżyc - it's a Polish freak-folk cult classic. 

A fantastic album (which has had a fairly recent CD reissue). A reformed Księżyc put out a second album, Rabbit Eclipse, in 2015 that is just as good IMO.

Edited by Mascodagama - April 09 2018 at 01:57
Bandcamp Profile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 08:30
Been listening to this a lot lately.....very atmospheric.....well known here I'm sure.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 08:32
Thanks for posting the Ksiezyc......new for me and definitely strange and wonderful wyrd folk.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 20:59
Here's another an RYM buddy turned me onto.

Bruce Palmer of Buffalo Springfield released this one psychedelic folk ablum in 1971. Pretty cool!

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 07:19
Thanks for posting that Palmer lp.....never knew it existed and I'm a fan of Buffalo Springfield and their offshoots.
:)
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 07:24
didn't either Doc..  and yeah huge fan of Stills, to a lesser extent Young, even am of  Ritchies and Messiana's later stuff.. but lost Palmer and that album. I'll have to take a listen to that clip later.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 07:48
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

"I was never really a bone fide member of the folk scene," says Harper, whose 1960s and 1970s albums, including Stormcock, Sophisticated Beggar and Flat Baroque and Berserk are now considered classics -- and precursors to today's alternative folk genre. "I was too much of a modernist, really. Just too modern for what was going on in the folk clubs. I wanted to modernize music, but more than that to completely modernize people's attitudes towards life in general. I was involved in trying to bring meat to the folk music, which is a big mistake anyway." Roy Harper

Hi,

To me, this is the biggest issue with some folk clubs around here. It is ALL about kissing as* to a bunch of traditional songs, and you will be damned if you don't have a Farina, or some other oddball song in there. You CAN NOT, in America, create an original song, because no one will listen to it, and will instead go play "Annie got My Gun" ... totally ignoring the work of someone like Roy Harper, and many others along the way.

These days, trying to keep track of some big names in the old days, like Baez, Dylan, and so many others, it's hard to believe that the only one not doing a traditional song is actually Bob Dylan, and he was deep fried for taking things electric, which is where it went, but in a club or two around here or up and down the coast, it is ELECTRIC, but it is not loud ... it has to be soft, so it stays with the theme/idea of "FOLK". But here, the applause is only for a "known" song ... so you trying to bring something else to the table, you will be lucky to have your groupie applauding your effort and everyone else leaving the room!

It is just a sad thing to see, how commercialized and totally brainwashed by the media so many of these clubs are, and I get scared every time I visit many of these clubs around here. And FOLK music is not the only one with the problem ... rock'n'roll's thing is even worse!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 08:17
Not as weird as other stuff i've posted but FAUN FABLES has had some really good stuff. Albums are usually uneven but great tracks contained. Generally they utillize catchy folk songs with touches of psychedelia. They are on PA

mahargznaj View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahargznaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 14:17
I'm trying to find an audience for an album I recently finished. A ProgArchives member suggested in another forum that it belongs to the neo-folk/wyrd folk genre. Maybe some of you would like to give it a listen. You might hear influences coming from Leonard Cohen, Peter Hammill, A Silver Mount Zion, among others. I hope you like it!

https://grahamjanz.bandcamp.com/album/we-might-look-like-people-for-now

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 09:31
^ Nice music -- I'd just call it folk. Not sure why it's being pigeonholed as of the Neofolk or Wyrd Folk genres (that said, I haven't listened to the whole thing yet).

I've been listening to These Trails quite a bit of late:

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 11:17
A favourite of mine.

Nick Drake's "Riverman":

Edited by Logan - August 14 2018 at 11:18
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 11:58
Been meaning to post here several times but every time I try my head either explodes with too much at once... or its just empty. Ok I love love

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 12:15
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

A favourite of mine.

Nick Drake's "Riverman":

A perfect song IMO. The combination of Drake's guitar and voice, the brilliant Robert Kirby string arrangement and that unfathomable lyric...true greatness.

I was pretty much obsessed with Nick Drake for a couple of years in my late teens.
Bandcamp Profile
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 12:26
Starts a little amateurish but charming I think but the full album is a dreamlike fairytale-trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>