Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Disco Appreciation Thread!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 03:51
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

No lovin' on the Bee Gees? RIP Robin and Maurice.

I never liked (in fact, usually mocked) their disco stuff, though I enjoy some earlier tracks. I was just too much of a rocker then, and almost never danced during the disco era. I despised acts like the Brothers Gibb, the Village People, Donna Summer). I found disco uncool, predictable, repetitive, lame, and thought "ANYONE can dance to that." (Much rock, with its changes in beat, was much more demanding to dance to).

All that being said, I have to admit to the talent and infectious (in every sense!    ) quality of that "Staying Alive" stuff.
Nights on Broadway, I might stomach, and secretly dig--if no one who knows me is watching.
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 03:54
I have little liking for the genre, if anything at all.

However, this one remains an exception. I cannot imagine any proghead who does not fall for the section between 2:16 and 2:43:

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 04:03
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

No lovin' on the Bee Gees? RIP Robin and Maurice.

I never liked (in fact, usually mocked) their disco stuff, though I enjoy some earlier tracks. I was just too much of a rocker then, and almost never danced during the disco era. I despised acts like the Brothers Gibb, the Village People, Donna Summer). I found disco uncool, predictable, repetitive, lame, and thought "ANYONE can dance to that." (Much rock, with its changes in beat, was much more demanding to dance to).

All that being said, I have to admit to the talent and infectious (in every sense!    ) quality of that "Staying Alive" stuff.
Nights on Broadway, I might stomach, and secretly dig--if no one who knows me is watching.
Tbh, I'm easier on artists that have passed on. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 04:26
I like first Bee Gees album (the international one) not so much their disco-albums.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 04:31
Chic is a classic, Some Steve Wonder is wonderfull disco, and Lionell Richie.

I also like more modern Disco like Jamiroquai and No Doubtm ska/disco
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 04:38
This thread needs some Runddans: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gHE1NCx36ew
Best thing Todd Rundgren has done in years.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 07:52
^ Very cool, David.

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I have little liking for the genre, if anything at all.

However, this one remains an exception. I cannot imagine any proghead who does not fall for the section between 2:16 and 2:43:

I wouldn't call myself a disco aficionado, despite liking plenty of Eurodisco, discofunk and disco inspired music -- plenty of music I like that has a disco element/ influence and plenty of disco is just such cheesy fun.

I only vaguely recognised the music until, well, a little bit before that section, then I knew what was coming. I've loved that since before I knew what Prog was. It's great. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and to mention, while not purely disco a couple of tracks I like which have a disco influence. I Robot may have been my first rock music loved as child listening to my brother's records, and I still feel it.

And of course, since I do go on and on about Cos around these parts, there's Babel which has a disco element.

And Goblin:

I once found this really great Italo Disco song, I think by someone associated with Fabio Frizzi, I'll have to search for it.

Not to mention some of Moroder's, which I mention for fans of the original Battlestar Galactica https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOW4v-oGokU
Trip down memory lane, I watched Buck Rogers in the 25th Century as a kid and foundnd it funny how they used ridiculous disco for futuristic music (what I might call retro futuro).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 08:13

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ Keishiro, so many people here focus on KC (King Crimson) that they forget about KC and the Sunshine Band. I sympathise with that elderly comment, but I like to think, even if I don't really, that age is just a state of mind to complement a saggy behind. ;) Certainly the older I get, the more nostalgic I feel.

Peter, while outside of my usual musical purview, I enjoyed Tinseltown in the Rain, and it definitely has a disco groove. I like lots of funky music, by the way, and I'd say pretty much anything counts that has some discoesque relation. Herbie Hancock is one of my favourite artists, though particularly for his earlier Mwandishi trilogy, not that I'd count that as disco (Mwandishi, Crossings and Sextant), but he was solid up to and including 1975. His Death Wish OST is something of an underrated (as in not many ratings) gem in PA per my tastes.

I am very gratified that you took the time to listen, Logan. I first heard that track on late night FM back in 84, and it hooked me immediately (love the bass, impassioned vocals, the strings, and immaculate production & arrangement), so I bought their first, A Walk Across the Rooftops, most of which is more subdued than that track. The title track is quite progressive. When I read about the Blue Nile, I see they were highly regarded. Great singer Annie Lennox (a lot of her Diva album is good for dancing - Precious, Little Bird) did a lovely, stirring cover of their Downton Lights (from their second album, Hats) on her fine cover album Medusa, and it's as good as the already powerful original. I recommend both (not so much as disco flavoured, just as great, moving music).

Thanks also for the feedback on Herbie Hancock-- his funk stuff (Thrust, Headhunters, Manchild, Secrets, the one funk side on the double VSOP Live) led me to backtrack into his earlier work, and more straight jazz in general.
I will check out the Deathwish album. I did not know it. Thanks!
Good thread that I originally came to be flippant about, BTW--the title worked! And I AM listening to all that is posted here. None of if "sucks."

It's a very good song, thanks, and I like Annie Lennox a lot (side note and really off-topic, but I love the Diva soundtrack by Valdimir Cosma and that Diva album was mentioned that to me recently at the forum -- nothing to do with the Diva album you're talking about, ahem.... I digress).

I love Hancock's Thrust, and Manchild and Headhunters are very good too. I only really got into Hancock when he was being proposed for the site. A similar thing happened to me with Miles Davis. Although I've long liked jazz, especially John Coltrane, Hancock and Davis opened aural doors for me that had a profound effect on my listening. I started with the "Fusion" albums, then went back and got into the the earlier jazz. Then it was Sun-Ra, Charles Mingus, and all sort of good for my ears stuff. Getting into Canterbury Scene music also got me into listening to jazz more. I love how one musical discovery leads to more musical discoveries, and the "ears" adjust as neural pathways are developed, and one becomes attuned to new-to-you styles, or styles that once lacked appeal. Music is a wonderful journey, and I never know where it is going to take me. But I digress... again.

I will look for Medusa.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 10:18
My love of progressive rock actually stemmed from my love of funk/R&B, it was easy for me to jump into prog rock due to the artistry of funk/R&B, the musicianship and production. These groups were very good at writing long passages in songs as well as instrumentals.
This disco era also produced a lot of excellent production, and musicians that understood their craft, bands had 5-6-7 members or more, computers and synths were not as prevalent yet it was all instruments. These songs were recorded live in studio with tape deck rolling.....

The extended play songs were cool, unless you went to a club in most cases you did not know these songs even existed because the FM radio only played the short versions. DJs needed the 8-9 min songs.

Peter Brown was an early version of Prince, he played a lot of instruments on his initial album A Fantasy Lova Affair (1977), spawned a great disco/funk fusion song "Do Ya Wanna Get Funky With Me/Burning Love Breakdown" which was a 9+min epic.
The production of these songs and this era was excellent, Ted Jensen from Sterling Sound mastered this album, I have the original album from 1977, it is ear candy for sure and should only be played on a turntable to get the full force of the experience.

Not everything should be about dungeons and dragons and guys playing pan flutes in the forests...lol

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 13:25
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 03:36
I recently fell in love with Chris Bennett's voice on Munich Machine's cover of "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" that the BBC refused to play!

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 04:07
While disco was the crippled idiot b*****d son of Killer Funk (listen to Chic that managed both on the same album without any trouble), and the fact that I hated it back then, I can say in retrospect that I appreciate it better nowadays, especially in the light of the dance music that came afterwards....
While I really dislike some of those Moroder disco veins (Donna's I Feel Love), I do appreciate some of those European fun synth disco tracks (for ex: the late 70's French JM Jarre's cover of Popcorn was fantastic, born on the wings of  Oxygene IV), but it was mostly because it was fun, a bit like Devo or B-52 were fun a couple of years later.

Indeed, I hated the 80's funk (Grandmaster Flash and Chaka Kahn were survivors of the 70's, but they did worse than Genesis and Yes in turning away from their 70's aesthetics), house/techno, "dance", and whatever BS mass dance movements coming from South Korea (I just hope North K invades them if only to kill that nonsenseTongue)

BTW, I never thought of APP's I Robot as anywhere close to disco.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 06:51
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I agree that the title cut is not disco, but I think there's no denying that this single is:I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 08:21
Russian disco please

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 08:33
Some of my favorite high arts euro-disco

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 08:40
If you're going for traditional 70s disco, how can you not just love the heck outa this one?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 08:50
Can't live without some metal in your disco? Pain Of Salvation will take care of that

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 08:54
Even the punk scene got in on the action!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 09:02
All in all, i think i love space disco the best. This one came from France in 1978

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 09:04

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I agree that the title cut is not disco, but I think there's no denying that this single is:I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You

Sounds a bit more like it, but even then, I never heard it in disco. Mostly probably, because the message and title didn't suit the nightclub athmosphere

I mean, it's definitely funky (excellent bass line), but it's anything but binary in terms of drumming

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

If you're going for traditional 70s disco, how can you not just love the heck outa this one?

This is really disco: the binary beat stuff that even the lousiest white dude could dance to.

I mean we also heard that kind of stuff (below) in discotheques, but it's not like it was actually disco either
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyIZ3pYKOQM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Z-DQGqM90

I mean, just the song titles are right on the disco marketting science

Edited by Sean Trane - January 06 2018 at 09:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>