Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why are Rush songs Madrigal and Rivendell hated?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why are Rush songs Madrigal and Rivendell hated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 04:20
I've always loved Madrigal. It fits really well on Kings

The quote below sums up pretty well why I don't like Rivendell. It's just a snoozer. It's not quite as bad as Tears though. 
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I've never noticed a lot of hate directed towards Madrigal, although I can see where the criticism for Rivendell comes from. At 5 minutes long, it's longer than most of the songs on the album, and nothing really happens. It feels like it could have ended about halfway through, and then they repeat the same 3 musical ideas again with very little change in intensity. It's not bad music, but it's pretty boring in my opinion. 

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 04:48
The comments made me curious, and so I listened to the track. I can hear why many Rush fans won't like it, but I don't think it's that bad because it captures the spirit of what the song is about - Rivendell, the place where Elves dwell, as any reader of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy should know. Lots of changes in the song (that's what some commenters were missing) would not have fitted this tranquil place.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 06:11
I don't hate them, but regard them as weak in relation to other tracks on their respective albums. Probably not so weak, that I would go to the effort of skipping them. I wasn't aware they were 'hated' by fans...
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 12:59
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Hey !! Settle down Mart

Nothing wrong with disliking Rush, Tom. Nothing wrong with being a snob either.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 13:13
^ ‘Snob’ sounds harsh, man. The Baldies are anything but
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 13:16
Yes but if you don't know the songs, why post anything about them Tom, especially something so negative.......?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 13:45
If you had read my comment correctly you would have noticed I did not say anything about the songs; I explicitly said I don't know them. My comment was solely about the band itself. But perhaps you were too snobby to notice.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 15:06
So it is understood that you know nothing about any of their songs since you dislike the band, I am fine with that. But my post is not about that, it is about why post something so negative about something you don't know about, supposedly?

So based on your explanation above, your original post makes no sense other than to try and start a flame war in this thread, which is not about the band but about 2 songs.

I never called you snobs.......I'm fine with other people calling you snobs.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 18:37
I don't know songs in specific. I listened to ALL records of this band, and the music just did not touch me. But I don't remember any specific songs. Got it now?

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 19:31
Too mellow. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 22:02
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I don't know songs in specific. I listened to ALL records of this band, and the music just did not touch me. But I don't remember any specific songs. Got it now?

Sure, would be nice if people explained themselves clearly on their first attempt..You get that?

I'll never get that time I wasted in my posts back into my life.....damn....lesson learned.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 23:29
......sheezus, let’s all kiss and make up. It’s Rush, dammit, not Slayer
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 04:43

Well, given the choice I'd rather kiss Rush than Slayer. However, I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than kiss any of them.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 04:52
What's wrong with Slayer? I used to like them in the early eighties - must have some vinyl by them somewhere in the loft, in a really stomping angry mood I reckon I would still appreciate some of their material.
Madrigal and Rivendel - wonder if it's got anything to do,with the fact that both titles have three syllables?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 10:52

I can agree, but when there are polarizing members that litter a simple thread like this one where no meaningful discussion can be had, it ain't worth it brother......it ain't worth it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 10:58
These songs are ok but not worth fighting over. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 11:05
Hi Steve
The issue is nobody was fighting about it, there were some meaningful initial posts. It could have grown into a nice discussion about the two songs.........but it got littered with trash.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 03:16
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

What's wrong with Slayer? I used to like them in the early eighties - must have some vinyl by them somewhere in the loft, in a really stomping angry mood I reckon I would still appreciate some of their material.
Madrigal and Rivendel - wonder if it's got anything to do,with the fact that both titles have three syllables?
Slayer are awesome !! Much more exciting than Metallica. You don’t need to be angry to dig Slayer these days. Back in the day - I think - listening to Slayer, Venom and whatever, was like shooting smack...........
Not like that in this day and age.
The Analog Man View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Analog Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 07:37
One of the first songs I learned on guitar was "Rivendell" Beautiful song.
LastSonOfGallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LastSonOfGallifrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 17:11
I've never liked 'Rivendell', but I think 'Madrigal' fits in very nicely on AFTK.

For my money, 'Red Lenses' is the worst song Rush ever recorded.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>