Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why are Rush songs Madrigal and Rivendell hated?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why are Rush songs Madrigal and Rivendell hated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 19:38
Madrigal is the perfect set up for what's to come(Cygnus X) and so is Rivendell(In the End). As far as them being hated?? I never thought that they were hated. Rush fans generally love their favorite band 😂😂

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - January 13 2018 at 19:38
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 19:50
Originally posted by LastSonOfGallifrey LastSonOfGallifrey wrote:

I've never liked 'Rivendell', but I think 'Madrigal' fits in very nicely on AFTK.

For my money, 'Red Lenses' is the worst song Rush ever recorded.

No way, I love the bass line. As for Rivendell I get why people don't like it. However, it's just a very relaxing tune. I think it might be good for insomniacs.LOL I actually posted on a Rush fan site a poll where I asked which of a few Rush tunes was the "sleepiest" and Rivendell was the run away winner unsurprisingly. I had Madrigal on there too which got a few votes also.
LastSonOfGallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LastSonOfGallifrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 20:12
Alex Lifeson recently stated in an interview that he hates 'Panacea' and 'Tai Shan', but I think that's crazy because I love both songs.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 22:23
Originally posted by LastSonOfGallifrey LastSonOfGallifrey wrote:

Alex Lifeson recently stated in an interview that he hates 'Panacea' and 'Tai Shan', but I think that's crazy because I love both songs.
Well, you’re not Alex Lifeson
Red Lenses is my fave song from Grace.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 00:04
"Red Lenses" is a GREAT song. There are no bad songs on Grace Under Pressure. None. It kicks a$$ from beginning to end!

I like "Madrigal." My HS buddy who turned me on to Rush was never too keen on it, nor "Tai Shan." And the worst Rush songs are found on Snakes & Arrows and Side B of Roll The Bones.
Crimsonsnowdog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crimsonsnowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 14:04
I think both songs are good yet unspectacular. Both songs tend to be overlooked, because Rush played a loud hard rock style in the 70's and these songs are quiet and mellow, and Rush fans who like the 80 's style, most likely started with Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures, didn't go back to listen to the previous albums too often. Plus the fact that I don't think either song was ever played live, didn't help popularize either song.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 14:52
While I certainly don't hate those songs, they're both fairly low in my Rush rankings.

Here is why I think that is.

Maintaining control on a slow, quiet song is actually more challenging for most vocalists than ripping a real screamer.  

These songs  are from Geddy's early scream period.  While I have no problem with hard rockers doing ballads, my impression is that this was before Geddy had developed the vocal control to convincingly deliver a ballad like he can on his most recent albums.  
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 16:42
I'm surprised this thread got resurrected after 6 months when a general consensus seemed to have been reached. Not particularly regarded as top notch Rush, but either tolerated, ignored or liked for their change of tempo, within the context of the albums - but never really 'hated' as implied initially. I'm sure there are more interesting posts in the deep archives of PA for those with the time to look and then to comment upon.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 16:49
People have a different taste. Next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123