Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric Light Orchestra or Kansas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Electric Light Orchestra or Kansas?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [34.62%]
34 [65.38%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 03:50
Two of my favorite rock masterminds (Livgren and Lynne) - the second one takes the price, but it is a close call. ELO albums have more consistent quality, more interesting evolution and more excellent/around 4-star albums (ELO II, On the Third Day, Face the Music, A New World Record, Time...) compared to Kansas (debut, Leftoverture, Point of Know Return, Somewhere to Elsewhere). Livgren has still Proto-Kaw and some impressive solo work in his sleeve. Lynne on the other hand produced some great side projects (Traveling Wilburys).

Edited by stewe - January 09 2018 at 03:55

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 06:29
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

not a big fan of either, while enjoying quite a few songs by both.  But Kansas never irritated me the way ELO did in almost everything post 1975.  I just couldn't stand the recycled violin sound bites.  So Kansas gets the vote.

Exactly my feelings on this one.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 08:56
love both but

Kansas
Prog On!
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 10:45
I can't vote but ELO. Time is a minor prog masterpiece and I love everything Jeff Lynne brings to the table. As for Kansas... not really a big fan. I listen to the album Power sometimes, which is AOR.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 11:06
I'm not very big on either, but I'll spin a little Kansas once in a while, so there's where my vote goes.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 16:58
Kansas are easily my favorite band , not for the hits but for their progressive masterpieces  , oh you dont think they are masterpieces  simply because Kansas are not from the UK ?  its a joke that kind of thinking is very REGRESSIVE... history will tell, masterpieces to me anyway, BTW Kansas is one of the only Titan prog bands Kicking ass these days I'd get on board if you like music as much as you all claim on this site, or you will end up looking  less than awake, just like a prog archives informed guy ... not like a real prog fan always testing boundaries and doesn't give a crap what other people are thinking, music is dead bands like Kansas are bringing it back to life again  Clap   check out the new kansas live album Leftoverture live and beyond before you answer this poll ... or you are less than awake and dont know anything. 

Edited by Enchant X - January 09 2018 at 17:12
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 17:12
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Music is dead.

Music is not dead. LOL.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 17:14
In the last 20 years music has really lost its spark  ... I hear bands like Rush, Yes, King Crimson etc keep on trying ... but no spark  Kansas are alive and everything is well .. I expect complete progressive music Domination from them with how good they are sounding these days , better than all the other 'titans' are sounding , I apologize if I sound a little bitter, for decades ive known Kansas is very underrated ... Ive been waiting a long time for this , Being a Kansas fan is often so frustrating in how they are received by the prog public and the level of ignorance that seems to go along with that.  

Edited by Enchant X - January 09 2018 at 17:42
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 03:36
ELO is one of those bands where you play it once - you think this is fantastic. After the fifth time you wonder what the fuss was about. Having said that they do have a few classic songs to their credit - which goes to show they are a songs based band rather than an albums band. With Kansas I can never get over how they never improved their sound after the first album, which is easily their best and better than most ELO albums.

Edited by iluvmarillion - January 10 2018 at 03:36
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 05:03
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

In the last 20 years music has really lost its spark  ... I hear bands like Rush, Yes, King Crimson etc keep on trying ... but no spark  Kansas are alive and everything is well .. I expect complete progressive music Domination from them with how good they are sounding these days , better than all the other 'titans' are sounding , I apologize if I sound a little bitter, for decades ive known Kansas is very underrated ... Ive been waiting a long time for this , Being a Kansas fan is often so frustrating in how they are received by the prog public and the level of ignorance that seems to go along with that.  

I have nothing against Kansas, but there is so much modern music out there... it's absolutely hilarious when people say that prog is dead.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 15:59
Listening to Leftoverture live and beyond ... it really is a game changer such a great live album. I believe the standards are higher now and the bar is set for other prog bands to find that spark I`m saying has been missing . 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 22:21
Well, I am not saying prog is dead, but havenīt heard lots of great prog last years. The latest Kansas studio album is also ok, but not really even near of greatness of Leftoverture.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 05:09
^^ + ^

Prog is not anywhere near dead. In fact, it is very much alive and thriving. http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111205&PN=1
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112628&PID=5522000#5522000
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 05:54
^if you want to recommend me something great new prog, recommend me something like Faust. Really donīt want to hear any updated Yes or Genesis. I donīt also like at all neoprog or progmetal.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 16:44
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^if you want to recommend me something great new prog, recommend me something like Faust. Really donīt want to hear any updated Yes or Genesis. I donīt also like at all neoprog or progmetal.

You should really look into neo-prog just for the band IQ and Airbag, and prog metal for Dream Theater, Between The Buried And Me, Haken, Riverside, Gojira, Opeth, TesseracT, Adagio... well, I will stop now, as you said that you don't like it, and I can go on for a long time. However, one my favorite records released in 2017 is Psychotic Symphony, by Sons of Apollo.

Here are some recent bands that are not neo-prog or prog metal:

Ga'an (zeuhl):
For the first time today I am listening to them, and I cannot get enough of their music! It's just so good!

PoiL (zeuhl):
They have a solid discography, but my favorite album by them is Brossaklitt. Very obscure; growers.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (avant-prog):
Just an awesome band! They are known for using different homemade instruments on all their albums, and are like this generation's King Crimson. Best album is Of Natural History.

Toby Driver (avant-prog):
Toby Driver is an awesome musician, in both maudlin of the Well and Kayo Dot. New album by Kayo Dot, Plastic House on Base of Sky, is simply brilliant.

Steven Wilson (prog):
An all-around musician who has participated in bands like Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion, Storm Corrosion, and I.E.M. His solo input is also very large; Grace For Drowning is a good place to start, but chances are you have heard of him before.

Big Big Train (prog):
Another very popular band around here. Their recent release, Folklore, is one of my favorites.

Neal Morse (prog):
Participated in Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, The Neal Morse Band, Morse Portnoy George, and Flying Colors. Borders on prog metal, but overall a versatile musician.

Lunatic Soul (progressive electronic):
Side project of Riverside, which started out in prog metal and shifted to broad soundscapes. Polish. Gutters is an awesome song.

Mike Patton (everything):
I am sure he has participated in some type of prog in his huge career. He is my favorite artist to date, and just a very impressive and creative vocalist. Projects include Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, Fantomas, Tomahawk, General Patton, Peeping Tom, Dead Cross, Homophiliac, Moonchild Trio, Lovage, The Dillinger Escape Plan, solo... He has a lot! Technical, and very wacky!

I also love post-rock, which borrows a lot of elements from prog. bands include Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Talk Talk, Bark Psychosis, Explosions In The Sky, Russian Circles, Maybeshewill, MONO, Tortoise, and more... You can hear post-rock in a lot of soundtracks to movies and video games, and it ranges from very classical-sounding to more metal-sounding or complicated and avant-garde. Can make a very good argument that it has produced many of the best musicians that are performing right now.

I am not going to reread this for mistakes, and I hope that you can open up to a whole world full of discography. With time, music gets better and better... you just have to know how to navigate the underground. But I'm not even that far in; I started like two years ago, and built from Pink Floyd (whom I can't stand now; on the other hand, Genesis and Van Der Graaf Generator are my two favorite bands from way back when).

Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 21:01
I really like the first ELO album - it is very different from the rest, largely due to Roy Wood's presence. While later ELO albums are just pop, the first ELO album contains some really unique and original music. Wood's pieces here are the best ones, but most of Lynne's best ELO songs are found on this album too. Quite different from the rest of their catalogue.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 23:09
I have listened those all a little(well I know Mike Patton, donīt like him at all) and the only I am going to listen more is Ga`an. Others are just not for me, too modern sounds, repeating the old prog with modern sounds etc. I have to say Dream Theater is a band I have listened one album through and never want to listen again. I like Opeth, but that band got all the prog metal I need in my life. I donīt like post rock, but Jambinai is really great! If you havenīt heard it, really recommend it it to you, seen it once live and they are just really great live band too! Only modern prog band from the recent years that I really love is Knifeworld. I think they have really personal sound.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 23:10
Sorry mlkpad, I accidentally pushed reply button instead of Quote.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 00:41
Just listened Gaīan first album. Yes, they have quite personal style, really like their drum sounds. First I like it a little, but after whole album listening this band is not for me. Itīs like many new bands, when you heard the first song, you have heard the whole album. Are the musicians of today said by somebody, that when you started a band, you have to had a "brand" and then you donīt make no exceptions of that "brand"? What was in the fifties-seventies albums is suprises. Todayīs albums just bores me, just because theyīre same from the begin to end, same elements, same sounds. I think that is that consistency what we talked about some other thread. Really hope there will born new generation who will throw consistency away and do just what come in their creative mind!
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 04:42
^So if the sounds are too modern for you, then that is a problem... because every modern band is going to sound modern.

If you like 70s prog, I recommend you keep listening to music that you like. However, I am getting very into a lot of modern music, and I think that a lot of it is really good, honestly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>