Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric Light Orchestra or Kansas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Electric Light Orchestra or Kansas?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [34.62%]
34 [65.38%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 04:55
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

^So if the sounds are too modern for you, then that is a problem... because every modern band is going to sound modern.

If you like 70s prog, I recommend you keep listening to music that you like. However, I am getting very into a lot of modern music, and I think that a lot of it is really good, honestly.
No, it´s not that simple. Every modern band doesn´t sound modern (you know there are bands who made in their albums still with the old equipments, also you can made a good organic sound with digi equipments). I don´t say Knifeworld is sounding just seventies, but anyway I think their sound is much more sharper & greater than most of today´s. Jambinai recorded their last album with old equipments, really like their sound too (acoustic Korean instruments are of course part of it). The real problem of today´s music (IMO) is much more in my previous comment of Ga'an-album. If you don´t understand it, then this all has been useless.

Anyway, you´re right. I think our music tastes are very different. Just keep on enjoying yours, I keep on mine. The greatest thing is that we both find lots of great music to ourselves.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 13:38
This may be the only poll Kansas ever wins on this site (other than Kansas vs Kansas)!  Wacko

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 13:43
I wouldn't be too sure of that. We could try Kansas vs Pallas!
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 13:54
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^So if the sounds are too modern for you, then that is a problem... because every modern band is going to sound modern.

If you like 70s prog, I recommend you keep listening to music that you like. However, I am getting very into a lot of modern music, and I think that a lot of it is really good, honestly.
No, it´s not that simple. Every modern band doesn´t sound modern (you know there are bands who made in their albums still with the old equipments, also you can made a good organic sound with digi equipments). I don´t say Knifeworld is sounding just seventies, but anyway I think their sound is much more sharper & greater than most of today´s. Jambinai recorded their last album with old equipments, really like their sound too (acoustic Korean instruments are of course part of it). The real problem of today´s music (IMO) is much more in my previous comment of Ga'an-album. If you don´t understand it, then this all has been useless.

Anyway, you´re right. I think our music tastes are very different. Just keep on enjoying yours, I keep on mine. The greatest thing is that we both find lots of great music to ourselves.

What I like about my taste in music is that I will enjoy everything that you enjoy with the addition of more of my own music. I will check out Knifeworld and Jambinai; thanks for the recommendations.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 14:02
Also Martti, can I recommend you Deluge Grander?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 22:40

Thanx for the recommendation! A little what I just heard sounded the great seventies style production, I will listen the whole album! Really interested is that they´ve made those 205 covers of Heliotians-album themself. You may know Wigwam also made 400 covers themselves into their first album "Hard n Horny" until their record company has money to make "real" covers. But they made them just the reason they wanted to put their album out before Christmas. Love Records haven´t got any money to the covers so they made those 400, when they`ve sold, they used those money to the real covers.

To me it´s also just the same when music is made. It´s just happens to be that many albums I love has made in the sixties or seventies.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 23:30

What I like about my taste in music is that I will enjoy everything that you enjoy with the addition of more of my own music. I will check out Knifeworld and Jambinai; thanks for the recommendations.
Listen "a Hermitage" from Jambinai. Their first album is good too, but the second one is just so much better! "the Unraveling" & "Bottled out of Eden" are my favourites from Knifeworld.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 00:28

I really liked Deluge Grander! Not saying Heliotians is the greatest album of 2000, but anyway really good! I think there are some old KC and Genesis there, but not too much, they have a personal style which is most important to me when listening some new artist to me. A bit they have a same problem as many new artists, I would have needed more dynamic changes specially into "Reverse Solarity" which now a little bit too long. Also I really would have liked vocals risen, I really like both vocalists voices, but now they´re too low. Anyway going to listen them more!

Some parts of the album reminds me Finnish band called "Absoluuttinen Nollapiste" and specially their two latest albums Pisara & Lammas 1 & 2. If Finnish-language singing is not too much for you (also lead vocalist Tommi has a little monotonius voice, gladly there are lots of quest vocalists in those albums) I think you would like those albums. They´re concept albums with a great story, I have made a review from them to PA, there I roughly tell the story of the albums. BTW music is sounding more eighties than seventies specially in the first album, but I like those sounds too! Sadly those albums are not in spotify or youtube, there are few songs in youtube. I think Pisara & Lammas 1&2 are the greatest Finnish progalbums of 2000!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 07:24
Kansas for me (Song For America is one of my favorite prog tracks from any band).......I like the first 4 ELO (wish Wood had stayed around) but after that Lynne turned it into a pop fest doing his version of the BEATLES.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 13:07

Listen "a Hermitage" from Jambinai. Their first album is good too, but the second one is just so much better! "the Unraveling" & "Bottled out of Eden" are my favourites from Knifeworld.

Really liked "a Hermitage", it reminded me of Russian Circles. Over the next few days, I will try out your recommendations, I am sure I will find them somewhere.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 21:22
^Knifeworld is also pretty good; today's best discography for me was miRthkon.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 22:40
^Great to hear you like them!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 02:45
Kansas . They were a prog band while ELO were a clever pop group. Admittedly the end bit of Mr Blue Sky is beyond genius and better than anything Kansas did but hey ho.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 03:44
ELO were Prog up until Face The Music.
KANSAS were Prog up until Monolith.
What does that give us - 5 albums each ??
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 21:52
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

ELO were Prog up until Face The Music.
KANSAS were Prog up until Monolith.
What does that give us - 5 albums each ??

Funny because I think Face The Music is their best album because it's more consistent all the way through, whereas a lot of ELO albums are spoiled by some ordinary rock n'roll songs. What Lynne does is write some of the most beautiful ballads I've heard, but it's not prog, not that it matters one way or the other, as long as it's good music.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 10:51
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

ELO - Kansas is OK but nothing special.

ELO were the epitome of perfect prog pop. Time, in particular, is an album of exceptional skill.
Agreed. Although a lot of the ELO songs I love are just perfectly crafted pop songs. But what songs! Being able to create timeless pocket symphonies such Livin' Thing impresses me way more than anything I've ever heard by Kansas. 

Time was actually my first ever favorite album - and I still love it.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 10:54
ELO has never appealed to me.

Kansas once did.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 19:12
its official Kansas kicked ELO's butt in this poll ...  but us fans aren't happy with that small victory we want to see some of those English prog bands this site just loves so much taken to the cleaners in future polls to do with Kansas, then we will see the glass as measured ..no longer guessing or basing the opinion of a prog band on just their hits ... its the prog the fans seem to love about Kansas .. the hits are great hits though. 

Edited by Enchant X - January 17 2018 at 19:25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123