Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strawbs/Dave Cousins Appreciation Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strawbs/Dave Cousins Appreciation Thread!
    Posted: September 29 2023 at 05:51
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

As for albums, there may be more and who knows who will be on them
Perhaps Tony Hooper and Ron Chesterman via seance. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 09:31
They have been pretty classy about it so far.  I don't doubt Dave can be difficult and the contributions of Lambert and Cronk can't be minimized, but it's Dave's band and having Weaver, Willoughby, Craig and Ford at the final farewell means the history of the band was pretty well represented.  As for albums, there may be more and who knows who will be on them
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 06:11
Nice review on the new Strawbs Ken. I think we are both a little more receptive to the album given Dave Cousins' health issues but that didn't detract from the truth. Perhaps just the way that truth was delivered. I recall reading in a Louder Sound article, and I paraphrase, Cousins said that both Dave Lambert and Chas Cronk were invited to play on one song (Down By The Sea) at the Strawbs' farewell concert at Cropredy this year. Both declined. As for Tony Fernandez, Cousins said that he was mad about his drum tracks not being fully utilized for the Settlement album and Dave took that as quitting the band. I think that these statements from Dave add  more to the confusion than detract from it. Until we hear from Lambert, Cronk and Fernandez, I don't think that we will get the full story. But given Dave's illness they might just let it go.

Edited by SteveG - September 28 2023 at 06:13
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 06:03
Hi,

I find that some things, like good wine, get better with age. Hearing Dave speak/sing his lyrics so well and clearly, is very touching, and you know the words are strong and well meaning. I don't know what more can we ask from anyone out there in music. 

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 12:43
Thought I would bump this up and ask what is your assessment of "The Magic of it all" now that it's been out a few months and things have quieted down amongst the fan base about how certain long time recent members were excluded from the album and the farewell concert.  But any discussion is fair game.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 14:41
The Strawbs have always been a second tier prog group, similar to groups like Camel and even Marillion in it's present form. But all have a very dedicated core following that wouldn't trade them for all KC and Rush albums in China. Viva la difference!

Edited by SteveG - December 28 2021 at 08:58
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 14:25
I am going to add something possibly a bit controversial to this thread.  In this same section of the forum, there is a discussion about Procol Harum, with the OP concerned that they are undervalued as a prog group.  From the responses you can see that many do value them and their contributions.  I think what is postulated there could easily be applied to Strawbs in this age of prog overload.  Many newer prog fans and older ones always thirsting for the more esoteric no longer or have never had much time for Strawbs, since one could argue they are not big P progressive.  Some of these people no doubt respect their contributions, but I think some really uhdervalue them.  Luckily they have many fans outside of the prog spectrum which has helped keep them going to this day
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 14:19
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Hi Steve.  Hope you are well in the holiday season

Strawbsweb is not always up to date these days.  The link I posted is only a week old and indicates that he has had other issues since the knee replacement.  Fingers crossed that his recovery goes well

Same to you Ken. This is bad news. Hopefully he can recover his health and put out another album like Settlement. It's too difficult with someone who is ailing to tour with this Virus' variations anyway. And it's just gone ballistic again in the UK.

Edited by SteveG - December 26 2021 at 14:20
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 14:13
Hi Steve.  Hope you are well in the holiday season

Strawbsweb is not always up to date these days.  The link I posted is only a week old and indicates that he has had other issues since the knee replacement.  Fingers crossed that his recovery goes well

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 14:06
Hello fellow Settlement fans. According to the Strawbs web, Dave had a knee replacement and is doing well. Damn old age and it's effects.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 13:41
Thanks Edouardo and Nickie.  I agree with your insights.  All the songs up to and including "Chorale" form a unit like no album since Ghosts IMO.  While I think Ferryman's Curse had a few songs that are better than anything on Settlement, it has a few that mess up the momentum a bit, especially Dave Lambert's contribution.  While the title track to that album is a riveting story, I don't care for it musically apart from the creepy intro piece.

I'm not really a fan of the bonus material om Settlement.  "Champion Jack" has a great outtro but I don't find it shows Dave in good voice
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 13:05
Just had a chance to listen through to the Testament recording.  I have to say, I, too, think it's the strongest in a VERY long time.  It felt as though it gained momentum throughout and Dave's voice, although obviously aged, wasn't coming across as strained.  Truly some stellar moments, also saddened to hear that Dave is ailing so.  

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 08:10
Jumping on the bump, I have to say that Settlement in its basic form, without any bonuses, seems to me as brief & juicy as their old LPs used to be. Sad to hear about Dave's illness.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 21:25
strange how this thread never got a bump when Strawbs issued "Settlement" earlier this year.

What are all your impressions of that album?  I think the download/LP version is as consistent as any Strawbs album since the 1970s, yet more stylistically diverse. 

I thought I would post this update from Dave Cousins on his health.  Sad but not unexpected as far as the likely end of touring for this band.  Let's hope he recovers fully, which is by far the most important thing

Edited by kenethlevine - December 23 2021 at 21:26
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 09:37
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Played the 'Full Bloom' CD (2004) the other day. A gift sent to me from a fellow Strawbs/BBT fan last year when I saw Acoustic Strawbs near Newcastle. Great sound production and a quality selection as well.
You lucky SOB! That CD is their best acoustic set and went out of print a few weeks after it was released. Hard to find, it lists for about 150 pounds used on various seller sites.

The CD was only a copy - but if you haven't got an MP3 version I'd see if I can pass the music files onto you (I imagine you probably have, Steve)
Yes, I do but thanks. I saw the word CD in your post and saw $$$ signs. Sorry mate. Embarrassed

Edited by SteveG - February 22 2020 at 09:38
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 16:27

Played the 'Full Bloom' CD (2004) the other day. A gift sent to me from a fellow Strawbs/BBT fan last year when I saw Acoustic Strawbs near Newcastle. Great sound production and a quality selection as well.
You lucky SOB! That CD is their best acoustic set and went out of print a few weeks after it was released. Hard to find, it lists for about 150 pounds used on various seller sites.

The CD was only a copy - but if you haven't got an MP3 version I'd see if I can pass the music files onto you (I imagine you probably have, Steve)

Edited by Squonk19 - February 21 2020 at 16:28
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 16:07
Another thing I love about the Strawbs is the lyric writing!!  

"I hope your dreams are not like mine" 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 11:15

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

My American friends and I always thought that Cousin's voice and singing style was reminiscent of the great American folk artist, Burl Ives, who was also a banjo player.  Very interesting vocalization for prog, which always seemed to depend upon high-range tenor/contra-tenor vocalists.  RIP Burl.

Loved the way he used banjo on "Witchwood."  
The weird thing about Cousins was that he was a phenomenal banjo player that was often used for session work and could play circles around any bluegrass banjo picker. Strangely, he kept it on the down low his whole time in the Strawbs after Sandy Denny left the group and only played low key accompaniment on songs like Witchwood and Cold Steel.

Yes, Strawbs actually began as The Strawberry Hill Boys, a bluegrass band....Pretty sure you knew that, Steve, more for other folks who might not.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 10:29
Luv en! Great folk band. I've got 4 or 5 albums on vinyl and realise that I don't listen to them half as much as I would like to.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 09:48
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

My American friends and I always thought that Cousin's voice and singing style was reminiscent of the great American folk artist, Burl Ives, who was also a banjo player.  Very interesting vocalization for prog, which always seemed to depend upon high-range tenor/contra-tenor vocalists.  RIP Burl.

Loved the way he used banjo on "Witchwood."  
The weird thing about Cousins was that he was a phenomenal banjo player that was often used for session work and could play circles around any bluegrass banjo picker. Strangely, he kept it on the down low his whole time in the Strawbs after Sandy Denny left the group and only played low key accompaniment on songs like Witchwood and Cold Steel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>