Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strawbs/Dave Cousins Appreciation Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 17:02
Steve, Just read about Chris's passing in the new Classic Rock magazine edition. RIP. Didn't realise how many albums I have in my possession with his involvement over the years - amazing! Very good work on the Strawbs albums too.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 04:13
I have to say that I was not a fan of Tsangarides' album EQing, especially for "The Broken Hearted Bride", and "Dancing To The Devil's Beat", but he was not as shrill on "The Ferryman's Curse", which really helped to give that album more of an "old school" sound. But yeah, RIP to Chris! You were a staple of British heavy metal and hard rock.

Edited by SteveG - February 07 2018 at 04:14
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 08:42
Strawbs acoustic tour in UK has been cancelled due to illness, and there is no further word, so it could be that Dave Cousins is ill.  He has had some pretty serious health issues lately
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 09:46
Yikes! I hope that this will pass quickly.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 12:21
Oh dear.... That is a real shame....and actually a worry
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 16:19
in case you don't know, the 50th anniversary celebration is next April 26-28 in Lakewood, NJ, USA.  Two days of concerts, including some with an orchestra!

Dave Cousins' health problems seem to be primarily kidney stone relatwed...ouch!  He is supposed to be having a procedure to deal with this soon if no already

And here is an impressive cover version of Strawbs' classic by John Wesley Harding

Edited by kenethlevine - July 14 2018 at 16:28
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 16:29
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

in case you don't know, the 50th anniversary celebration is next April 26-28 in Lakewood, NJ, USA.  Two days of concerts, including some with an orchestra!

Dave Cousins' health problems seem to be primarily kidney stone related...ouch!  He is supposed to be having a procedure to deal with this soon if no already

And here is an impressive cover version of a Strawbs' classic by John Wesley Harding

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 17:23
Acoustic Strawbs coming to my home town of Darlington on Friday (last day of the school year too!) Hope Dave is okay. Can't promise a full house, but the grey-haired idiot singing along to all the songs at the front, will try his best to make up for it!
Around the Sun View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Around the Sun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 14:56
Hello. I'm new on Prog Archives, but thought I should join in on this thread. Strawbs is a very interesting band that I've long planned to check out further. I like their diversity in styles and the very haunting quality in many of their songs. Even the lyrics are highly intriguing, and I normally don't care much for lyrics in prog (or in music in general...).
'Hero and Heroine' is one of my favourite albums from the 70's, and I also have 'Grave New World' (great album as well). Wonderfully epic gatefold cover on the latter LP! What should I check out next? As I also love folk/folkrock, maybe I should buy some of their early stuff too?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 16:19
Originally posted by Around the Sun Around the Sun wrote:

Hello. I'm new on Prog Archives, but thought I should join in on this thread. Strawbs is a very interesting band that I've long planned to check out further. I like their diversity in styles and the very haunting quality in many of their songs. Even the lyrics are highly intriguing, and I normally don't care much for lyrics in prog (or in music in general...).
'Hero and Heroine' is one of my favourite albums from the 70's, and I also have 'Grave New World' (great album as well). Wonderfully epic gatefold cover on the latter LP! What should I check out next? As I also love folk/folkrock, maybe I should buy some of their early stuff too?

Welcome and thanks for participating!

I'd recommend "Ghosts" next, withe same lineup as Hero and Heroine but more melodic and lyrical.  It has a pleasant juxtaposition of dark and light.  Next I recommend "Bursting at the Seams", the most successful album in the UK, which includes hit singles, pop, folk and prog all together.  Then listen to their 2017 release, "The Ferryman's Curse", which has a lot of the old magic.  After that, give the folkier early albums "Dragonfly" and "From the Witchwood"  a try.  
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 22:20
I really love also their early live "Just a Collection Of Antiques and Curios". And first album is not bad too.
Around the Sun View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Around the Sun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 16:05
Thanks man! I guess I have to spend some hard earned cash on this band, then. I'll chech out "Ghosts" first! Smile
So they are still going strong and released a quality album last year? Impressive. I love when bands manage to capture the magic several decades after their 'heyday'. Last week, for instance, I went to see King Crimson - and that was without a doubt one of the very best concerts I've ever experienced! Tears running when they played several songs from '69-74...
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 17:04
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Acoustic Strawbs coming to my home town of Darlington on Friday (last day of the school year too!) Hope Dave is okay. Can't promise a full house, but the grey-haired idiot singing along to all the songs at the front, will try his best to make up for it!

Unfortunately Dave is having an operation and the local concert has been cancelled. Disappointed, obviously - but hopefully things have gone well and he'll be fighting fit for the months to come.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 10:08

Unfortunately Dave is having an operation and the local concert has been cancelled. Disappointed, obviously - but hopefully things have gone well and he'll be fighting fit for the months to come.

yes this will hopefully deal with his persistent kidney stone issues once and for all
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 10:14
Originally posted by Around the Sun Around the Sun wrote:

Thanks man! I guess I have to spend some hard earned cash on this band, then. I'll chech out "Ghosts" first! Smile
So they are still going strong and released a quality album last year? Impressive. I love when bands manage to capture the magic several decades after their 'heyday'. Last week, for instance, I went to see King Crimson - and that was without a doubt one of the very best concerts I've ever experienced! Tears running when they played several songs from '69-74...

please do give us your impressions as you listen to the recommended albums
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 11:31
I also hope to see Dave recover from this long running health problem. I was starting to think that there was more to it.
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 00:49
I have been listening to the Strawbs for almost 25 years now. The first album I even bought was Hero and Heroine ans I was blown away! Now, I have a rather good collection of their albums, but not all of them. There is no reason for that actually... (I think I got 12 albums).
Last year, I had the chance to meet Dave Cousins, and had a couple of beers with him in N.Wales, during HRH Prog V festival. Very cool person, very "down the Earth". We were chating for anything you can imagine, from the Prog scene of the 70's up to Donald Trump and Brexit. The next day I met with Barcaly James Harvest, and I went backstage with them, but that's another story :)
Hero & Heroine, Bursting at the Seams, From the Witchwood, Grave New world and Just a collection... are my favourite albums...
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 04:07

^ You told me this in a PM awhile back and I'm still jealous! I did chat up John Hawken and Chas Cronk on  one of the Caribbean prog cruises a few years back, but I never hooked up with ol' Dave. Rats!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 11:01
just giving this a bump.  Apparently among the excitement of Strawbs 50th anniversary celebrations in New Jersey, USA April 26-28, their will be one show with a symphony orchestra and another where they play the entirety of "Grave New World".

Edited by kenethlevine - October 01 2018 at 11:02
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 07:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>