FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow would you improve prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 17:00
Drop the song length down to 2:30 and make it danceable. Some good looking singers and musicians might help as well.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 18:35
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

Don't think Prog needs to be improved.  Many bands throughout the world are experimenting with music and making great sounds with it!...Smile

It's up to the listener to choose his/her preference of music and genre within the Prog family.  Big smile

Exactly.
PROGMATIC
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 18:37
Would love to know why I can make several posts and then suddenly I'm asked to click to prove I'm a person, and then it still doesn't let me post. Then I repeat the whole process exactly the same way and WOW! It posted. This site does that to me, usually when it's a long post. I've learned to copy my longer posts so when the site makes them vanish I don't have to try to rewrite the whole thing.

PROGMATIC
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 22:00
I'd put together a supergroup with Steve Hackett and Steve Howe!! Oh, wait---never mind.LOL
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 02:08
less w**king
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=musical+masturbation

and please stop this habit making double and extended albums.  
40-50 minutes of good music is enough. its hard to make it longer without being repetitive 

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 02:57
Listen to songs in reverse and come up with "new" riffs! WinkTongueLOL

Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Would love to know why I can make several posts and then suddenly I'm asked to click to prove I'm a person, and then it still doesn't let me post. Then I repeat the whole process exactly the same way and WOW! It posted. This site does that to me, usually when it's a long post. I've learned to copy my longer posts so when the site makes them vanish I don't have to try to rewrite the whole thing.

This site is infamous for it's broken CAPTCHA process. Copy + Paste your posts, ALWAYS.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 07:19
Hi,

It's just weird that no one knows or understands the term that is being used as a "definition", and then start adding/subtracting instruments ... so they can hear their favorites.

If you want favorites, go do the top ten ... forget "prog" or "poorrog", or anything related to the term, that has nothing to do with it.

When all this came up, what became "prog" and "progressive" did not even have a definition, because no one knew what to call it ... and it even got something like "art rock" attached to it.

Sadly, 40 years later, we're not smart, and can only think in terms of "definitions", even though they are NOT, and NEVER WERE, proper and concise to the music itself that got that "title.

It's always weird to me ... Robert Fripp saying he is not "progressive", and neither is KC, and yet we call them that. I guess the artist is an idiot and would not know anything about his music, and besides, knowing music is ... hmmmmm .... making sure you are stuck to the staff and add the oddities that supposedly make it "prog" or "progressive"?

Here's my take!

1. The addition of any instrument, is accidental, not incidental.

2. It can not be a "song" format, or any known format in music, because otherwise, it wouldn't be "progressive", unless it were doing just scales ... in which case, THAT IS NOT, progressive at all ... that's just a hand study to improve your playing! In fact, those scales are mostly mechanical and mathematical ... and that is not known as "progressive" or "prog". UNFORTUNATELY that is all you hear?

3. Subject matter is not limited to fantasies about dragons and metaphysics!

4. The "meaning" of the pieces should be completely abstract, so the audience is considered not intelligent enough to just enjoy the listen, which a "prog" audience" can not do!

5. A new century and time would help, so that all these old ideas and thoughts are long gone, and we can finally hear something different ... instead of the awesomely tired and boring ... smae thing all over again, but this time with a violin, or a cowbell ... folks, that is not even original anymore and has not been for 50 years!

6. How can it be "progressive" or "prog" when it is not either of those by pure definition? It's just an idea by pop-fan=crazed folks that love their top ten because they have nothing else to enjoy with their friends?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 07:34
I would make it so every time a prog album is purchased, millions of dollars disappear from wealthy individuals' secret bank accounts and placed into the hands of the artists of the albums sold. Hey, i might as well dream big!

Edited by siLLy puPPy - January 12 2018 at 07:35

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 07:55
I'm one of those guys who strongly advocates for improved and better audio quality for which the newer that I end up hearing here in the 21st century.
I think Prog is in great shape on a creative level, but unfortunately a lot of newer Prog is weakly recorded (audio engineering wise) and it drives me nuts.
So that is where improvements must be made to enjoy the music...for me.
This is just my opinion.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 08:59
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I'm one of those guys who strongly advocates for improved and better audio quality for which the newer that I end up hearing here in the 21st century.
I think Prog is in great shape on a creative level, but unfortunately a lot of newer Prog is weakly recorded (audio engineering wise) and it drives me nuts.
So that is where improvements must be made to enjoy the music...for me.
This is just my opinion.

The only good post in this silly thread.

Listen to what you like or make up your own music if you don't like what it out there, but don't generalize all of prog into a few words. Basically everything that was stated here exists, so what is the problem?
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 09:46
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I wish modern bands would get rid of the gated drums effect and get rid of all early generation cheap keyboards from the late 1980s and 1990s (their poorly imitative sounds drive me crazy!)

I'm all for incorporation of old ideas and old sounds but I'd like to see less emulation, replication, and imitation. 

This is actually articulated very well, and something I think about a lot. The top-tier bands had "the sound", because that's all that technology allowed at the time. It's funny to think bands take gear that's 3-4x as expensive, then try to make it emulate older stuff LOL.

Well, classic prog bands used a lot of Hammond organs, which were made to emulate church organs, Mellotrons, which were made to emulate orchestral instruments, electric pianos, which were made to emulate acoustic pianos, etc...

Then again, they barely sounded anything like they were supposed to, so we got a whole new sound rather than something that's obviously supposed to be something else, but isn't quite there.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 10:56
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Well, classic prog bands used a lot of Hammond organs, which were made to emulate church organs, Mellotrons, which were made to emulate orchestral instruments, electric pianos, which were made to emulate acoustic pianos, etc...

Then again, they barely sounded anything like they were supposed to, so we got a whole new sound rather than something that's obviously supposed to be something else, but isn't quite there.
Well said. That, dear friends, is the essence of classic prog.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 13:10
Bring back the "progressive spirit" of classical prog within a modern sound. I am writing songs about the transition towards a more sustainable social reality for my band.

Edited by WeepingElf - January 12 2018 at 13:11
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 17:21
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Drop the song length down to 2:30 and make it danceable. Some good looking singers and musicians might help as well.

Also, music videos with lots of nudity.....cause advertisement 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 17:25
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I wish modern bands would get rid of the gated drums effect and get rid of all early generation cheap keyboards from the late 1980s and 1990s (their poorly imitative sounds drive me crazy!)

I'm all for incorporation of old ideas and old sounds but I'd like to see less emulation, replication, and imitation. 

This is actually articulated very well, and something I think about a lot. The top-tier bands had "the sound", because that's all that technology allowed at the time. It's funny to think bands take gear that's 3-4x as expensive, then try to make it emulate older stuff LOL.

Right! I suppose that was ultimately my point. Those synth sounds were very unique, even if they were intended emulation for that period. So we basically have bands trying to emulate an emulation. It's like tape trading; each copy is worse and worse. Almost like progressive rock telephone! LOL

Bigbobby10 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 17:28
I want to have a band that only uses Mellotrons (must have at least 5 members)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 17:33
I've wanted to get a band going with a second bass player (including myself).

I've got a tight drummer who's into prog (fantastic taste, honestly). Two guitars has been done to death.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 18:10
Originally posted by Bigbobby10 Bigbobby10 wrote:

I want to have a band that only uses Mellotrons (must have at least 5 members)

In Morte Macabre all four members played Mellotron. Though some also played guitars/bass/drums, so not the purist article you describe.

Edited by Mascodagama - January 12 2018 at 18:10
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
trippinhippy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 18:36
dfdff
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 20:36
Fewer songs about elves and dragons.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>