Topic ClosedHow would you improve prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 08:06
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Now I ask you ... how do you improve "Stravinsky"? Or "Beethoven"? 

Drum machines, kazoos, airplane propellers, and maybe a Minimoog.

Ohhhhh ... you have not heard PDQ Bach, yet?

The shame ... duh total shame!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 09:07
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

You brought up the idea of improving Stravinsky and Beethoven and used it to call this question inappropriate, but I find the analogy inappropriate.

Actually your comment is more of a copout than anything else.

IF you do not like something, get yourself an instrument, and do it yourself, but you have no right to pontificate that others are not correct and need to do "better". You sound like the church already ... and its "favorites", and of course, as has been the history of it, many musicians and artists died because of these ideas ... so you want to continue the evil?

Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

For one, I'm sure if you asked their contemporaries at the time they would have opinions on how they could improve, whether they would be right or not is another question but they would have their opinions.

You can not "improve" someone else ... you can give them a haircut, and a little make up ... but, normally, the same person is still there and will continue to be there ... same arms, legs, head, face ... etc ... and to suggest that you can change them is not a good thing to do.

The arts, specially, are full of histories of folks fighting for their life and their moments and a chance to be heard and seen ... and now, you stand here, like a statue, saying that they are not good enough ... and you are not even an "empresario" that makes some folks think they can get something out of life.

My comments, unlike G's thoughts, are about bringing a newer and better understanding and appreciation for the arts, not just music, and sadly, a lot of these comments become personal, rather than taken with the proper salt and sugar they deserve. 

While PA has been very good in many ways, my thoughts still are that it could improve, and the folks that are "admins" could help a lot more with the understanding and appreciation, than they do, which is to make comments that actually take away from some good points on the discussion ... but no ... many times they go supporting their top ten designs with a database ... which can be adjusted to be more flexible and valuable than just a simple number crunching exercise that is not even done by people, but by a simple script and design.

You want to improve something? A statue, a composition, a novel? 

WRITE YOUR OWN! COMPOSE YOUR OWN! CREATE YOUR OWN STATUE ... and then see if you are strong enough to stand up to all this absolutely bizarre comments ... ohhh Venus de Milo is missing a ..... and I can hear the comments on Michelangelo's men ... they should be better endowed to match the modern man!

Btw, WD is ... Walt Disney!

You are frankly starting to make me a little sick to my stomach Pedro. Every time either I of some other member points out when you are making completely false claims and analogies to support you main argument, you completely evade the subject. Now I don't give a flying feck whatever noble and interesting idea you're trying to convey, when you continue to do this.
When we then point it out to you, you shift the blame and start talking about the bigger picture and art and bla bla bla as if we're supposed to overlook the fact that a moment ago you were trashing several different nations of PA members without any points of reference or perhaps more importantly: a friendly tongue-in-cheek tone.

Why do you insist on destroying all the great posts you do with illinformed generalisations about other members (and I mean that, you have some wonderful thoughts and ideas about music and art, which I've mentioned to you several times in the past)? Make your point but please leave the rest of us out of it until you get your facts straight.

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 16 2018 at 09:08
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 11:06
Get rid of protools and all methods of avoiding having to be good enough to play the song correctly.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 11:17
Today I'd say less metal and more classical music and acoustic folk influences - today's prog suffers from way too much metal!
lostrom
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 11:21
... oh, and no refrains.
lostrom
admireArt View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 23:35

Deconstruction and restructure!

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 00:08
Prog is still way too short......Only allow prog artists to release double or triple CD's and it would be mandatory to have at least one track over an hour! - Prog band's should take past prog that was promising and extend the hell out of it! - I'd buy it - but I'm probably in a minority (even for prog)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 01:53
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Prog is still way too short......Only allow prog artists to release double or triple CD's and it would be mandatory to have at least one track over an hour! - Prog band's should take past prog that was promising and extend the hell out of it! - I'd buy it - but I'm probably in a minority (even for prog)

I assume you enjoy Tales from Topographic Oceans? I love my prog side-long as well!

awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 02:20
Create your own band and play what you want, instead of whining

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 05:14
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I assume you enjoy Tales from Topographic Oceans? I love my prog side-long as well!

Aye - Favourite Yes effort by a country mile - But ITS FAR TOO SHORT!!!
They should have reprised a lot of their back catalogue and weaved it into the tracks (as they did briefly with close to the edge theme)
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 05:16
Originally posted by awaken77 awaken77 wrote:

That ship has sailed a long time ago - I have the musical ability of a desiccated whelk....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 08:18

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Aye - Favourite Yes effort by a country mile - But ITS FAR TOO SHORT!!!
They should have reprised a lot of their back catalogue and weaved it into the tracks (as they did briefly with close to the edge theme)

You are a rare breed, sir! While not my personal favorite (it's hard to top CTTE and Relayer for me), it's definitely more seminal than the prog community gives it credit for. I somehow have that record memorized very well. I've never heard anyone complain of it being too short! I wonder what they could've done if they made each song an entire LP in itself (4 LP set instead of 2 double sided)? Tongue

Originally posted by awaken77 awaken77 wrote:

I have done and continue to do so, good sir Cool

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 00:37
^ Aye, that would have given the punks and moronic music press even more ammo in 1976! I think that I bought 3 triple disc vinyl sets - Yessongs, Welcome back my friends, and Rush Archives and these don't really count as 2 are live and the third is just a collection of the first three releases in a box.
TFK - are one of my favourite prog bands - because they do like an extended epic and even in the shorter epics - e.g. Monsters and Men - The monumental guitar solo by stolt - is nicely extended - you think it's over then - he's off again - I like that in a track.....
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 12:38
Melody you can remember
Chords (more than three!)
Ochestration so you can hear each instrument
Variety: slow/fast, loud/calm, one instrument/all instruments
Perfect sound
Something original, as an icing on the cake

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 09:39
I would tell these younger musicians to stop worrying about sounding like something from the seventies. There's nothing wrong with sounding like vintage prog if you put your own spin on it(which is more or less inevitable anyway unless you are deliberately trying to be a copycat band). They worry to much about being progressive in the most literal sense of the word and think that if they sound even a little bit like the older stuff then they aren't progressive. Prog is a genre first and foremost. It's just a name. Don't take it so damn literal. Tongue

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 07 2018 at 09:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 12:38
I'd make it more progressive Cool

ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 16:31
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I would tell these younger musicians to stop worrying about sounding like something from the seventies. There's nothing wrong with sounding like vintage prog if you put your own spin on it(which is more or less inevitable anyway unless you are deliberately trying to be a copycat band). They worry to much about being progressive in the most literal sense of the word and think that if they sound even a little bit like the older stuff then they aren't progressive. Prog is a genre first and foremost. It's just a name. Don't take it so damn literal. Tongue

I think we need to tell this to the critics more than the musicians!
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 03:19
If you all want to tell us musos what to do, learn to play an instrument and then show us. 

That'd improve prog no end. 

Not bothered ? Perhaps your opinions are like telling architects how to build buildings, with no background knowledge. Effectively worthless. 

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 03:39
^ Oh you naughty boy, speaking the truth and all.  How dare you.  You and your pompous musician's attitude, "Playing an instrument is hard, writing good music is even harder".  Grow up, you little weasel, and stop being so honest.

You rock.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 03:59
I'd buy the musicians drinks and spike the hell out of em. Ease them down to the local recording studio and effectively pull a 'Rolf Ulrich Kaiser' on their asses.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>