FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow would you improve prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 04:35
^ sounds a little like the 'Kareem Loophole'. 

We'll talk later.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 04:39

I haven't got a clue but it sounds funny.

Could be my life slogan.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 09:06
Gentlemen, I do apologise for actually saying the truth before. ;-)

The reason why prog was so good, back in the 1970's, was that normal people actually were so fired with enthusiasm that they actually stopped watching Netflix, amusing kittens on YouTube et al and actually *picked up instruments and learnt to play*. 

The alternative, for the couch potato, is to sit there saying "I'd do this, I'd do that". Er. You wouldn't. You didn't. It doesn't count.

Without people actually learning an instrument or learning the genre of music, that musical genre is in trouble. 

This also happens when the "fans" also don't actively buy the music and support the musicians. 

Sorry to have to say it, but if you really do want to improve prog rock, your contribution will be much more real world if you start playing it.

Otherwise. It's like improving a football team by shouting at the television from an armchair. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 09:08
Here's a perhaps less contentious way of doing it. 

There are lots of disused bingo halls and old cinemas in the UK. Get some musicians together, hire the venue out long term and turn it into a practice area. Encourage a sort of "Zodiak Free Arts Lab"/ musical collective. You'd possibly be surprised what comes out of it. ;-)

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 09:17
I think it is a big fallacy to think that musicians back then were "better" or more trained than today's musicians. The music is different, sure, but just because they make different sounding music doesn't somehow erase their skills.
Seeing a guy doing trap vids on PA does not speak for all up and coming musicians on PA....not even close.
I know A LOT of musicians, in and outside of prog, and they rehearse and jam every chance they get. They can play the oldies, solo away on their own accord and so forth...yet chose to make music that sounds different.

Then again that is today's internet mantra:
If you don't like something it is bad. It is not because of personal tastes but a matter of fact that preferably should be transferred onto every other living musician. There is only one way to do things...and that is the RIGHT way y'know.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 09:17
Another way ?

Fans. Club together. Support a band by letting them stream live music to you. Fans club together, fund a concert played live over the internet. The ticket money pays for a small venue and a video camera. Free private live gig.

This gives bands a worldwide audience without the need to travel, you get something spontaneous and interesting, it gets recorded, uploaded, band makes something from it, guaranteed gig with more than four people showing up (or it doesn't happen) - fans get something for it, everyone goes home with a balloon. 

You might say "but I like going to live gigs". Without revenue, bands won't exist to do live gigs any more. This is the easy way for a band to build a fanbase, and as more fans sign up, the bigger the online gig and more chance of a real life gig. No massive venue and PA fees. 

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 18:06
I do wonder about guitar, bass, and drum sales currently.   GuitarCenter still exists but I imagine their turnover is not stellar.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456