Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Pink Floyd Album (really again)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Choose yr favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [4.40%]
2 [2.20%]
2 [2.20%]
6 [6.59%]
12 [13.19%]
6 [6.59%]
3 [3.30%]
15 [16.48%]
18 [19.78%]
14 [15.38%]
2 [2.20%]
2 [2.20%]
2 [2.20%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.10%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.20%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 23:24
I know the Wall is not respected in the general music world, but not even here? To me itīs after Tommy and Lamb one of the greatest double concept-albums.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 23:25
Just noticed some clown has voted Endless River.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 23:35
Ummagumma 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 06:22
Dark Side for me
Prog On!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 08:32
i said i voted Meddle but i selected Atom Heart Mother
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 11:14
I love bits and pieces off all the albums but for ones I love all the way through, it's a tough choice between Piper & The Final Cut...since no one else will likely do it I'll vote for The Final Cut Wink
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 11:32
Wish you were here is probably my favorite followed by AHM then Meddle. After that probably Animals. Most of the others are a bit too played out for me. Even much of WYWH is played out  but I really like the shine on stuff on there. Whether you want to call them prog or not PF was a band that at one point really wasn't afraid to stretch out and do longer pieces of music. You would think more kiddies would catch on and get into Yes and maybe early Genesis as a result but no instead their record collections consist of PF and all the other stuff being alternative and growling death metal. LOL
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 14:28
Ummagumma
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 19:03
Dark Side and Meddle are my two favourites in that order.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 21:28
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^Not Now John is nearest of the old Floyd (I think itīs the only one where Gilmour is singing). But I think the Final Cut is just not for David.

Actually, Not Now John is another of the stand-out tracks for me (just as Two Suns in the Sunset), but I thought the other two ones were just a step ahead. And I do love Gilmour's guitars on the title track... it just shows how important he was to help Waters songs to stand out, as compared to songs from Amused to Death where at many points it shows how a bit of Gilmour could have improved them a lot, even if there was an outstanding guitar player on the album (I particularly remember the song Amused to Death part 3, that really screams for a David Gilmour solo).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 21:30

I know the Wall is not respected in the general music world, but not even here? To me itīs after Tommy and Lamb one of the greatest double concept-albums.

I do like The Wall a lot, and it is my favourite Dobule concept album (much better than The Lamb for me, though I don't know Tommy). And I think the lyrics and concept are brilliant. It's just that what the band and done before is notably better. Actually I have a list on my IPod with my favourite tracks from The Wall, plus including the better ones from The Final Cut, and even the solo albums at the time from Gilmour and Wright, putting all the songs in the order that I thought might keep the concept and music flowing the right way (the solo albums because one of the complaints of Waters, as far as I remember, with the band at the time was that Gilmour and Wright were not contributing music, and instead used their ideas for the solo albums). For me it sounds so much better that way.

Edited by Dellinger - January 12 2018 at 21:34
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 22:59
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I do like The Wall a lot, and it is my favourite Dobule concept album (much better than The Lamb for me, though I don't know Tommy). And I think the lyrics and concept are brilliant. It's just that what the band and done before is notably better. Actually I have a list on my IPod with my favourite tracks from The Wall, plus including the better ones from The Final Cut, and even the solo albums at the time from Gilmour and Wright, putting all the songs in the order that I thought might keep the concept and music flowing the right way (the solo albums because one of the complaints of Waters, as far as I remember, with the band at the time was that Gilmour and Wright were not contributing music, and instead used their ideas for the solo albums). For me it sounds so much better that way.
Of course I wouldnīt not ever vote the Wall, because there are so many better albums. I am just wondering why it still gets any votes, because even Momentary Lapse has got and Endless already two. Well I quess there are those who donīt like Floyd at all and they want to add some humour here. Itīs ok to me, this is not absolutely serious.

Watched yesterday Fletcher memorial Home and Final Cut-vids and they looked and specially sounded so great! Gilmour solos are really great in those, there any even near in Waters solo albums. I really think now Final Cut is really underrated Floyd album, to me itīs far better than those rest non-Waters albums at the moment.

I think Gilmour did something to the Wall, Wright was only a hired musician in the Wall tour.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 21:58

Of course I wouldnīt not ever vote the Wall, because there are so many better albums. I am just wondering why it still gets any votes, because even Momentary Lapse has got and Endless already two. Well I quess there are those who donīt like Floyd at all and they want to add some humour here. Itīs ok to me, this is not absolutely serious.

Watched yesterday Fletcher memorial Home and Final Cut-vids and they looked and specially sounded so great! Gilmour solos are really great in those, there any even near in Waters solo albums. I really think now Final Cut is really underrated Floyd album, to me itīs far better than those rest non-Waters albums at the moment.

I think Gilmour did something to the Wall, Wright was only a hired musician in the Wall tour.

I am actually fond of the Gilmour led Floyd too. Actually, Division Bell is my third favourite Floyd album, and it would have been even better if they had mixed in some of the music that was left for what became Endless River (even if that meant leaving out a few songs that did make it into Division Bell).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 22:45

I am actually fond of the Gilmour led Floyd too. Actually, Division Bell is my third favourite Floyd album, and it would have been even better if they had mixed in some of the music that was left for what became Endless River (even if that meant leaving out a few songs that did make it into Division Bell).
Well, I think after Barrett Waters was the greatest creative force of Floydīs, and how great albums the Wall and the Final Cut are comparing to Momentary & Division proofs that. But I have become in my older age mercyful to those two albums, I think they have enough Floyd magic to like them.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 00:47
The Wall isn't necessarily reviled around here, but I figure that as with many or most concept albums, the narrative starts to dominate the music. The need for plentiful lyrics overwhelms and disintegrates musical inspiration. I do enjoy The Wall from start to finish, but there isn't a single track, in and of itself, that rivals the groups earlier offerings (the same is true of Lamb and Tommy, incidentally). So while many of us may enjoy the album, I can understand it being difficult for any one person to consider it their absolute favorite; it simply isn't distinctive and singular enough. Even The Final Cut, for all its problems, is genuinely daring in how incredibly (and perhaps ill-advisedly) tortured and misanthropic it is. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 01:42
Still I donīt understand why the Wall hasnīt got at least a single vote. All the other studio albums have got (well who knows are those Endless River voters serious). I think there are also great tracks that are better than most of the tracks in Wish You Were Here. All the parts of Another Brick, Goodbye Blue Sky, Hey You, Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell for example. Also even I started to like the Final Cut much more than before, the Wall is far superior to me.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 02:47
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Wish You Were Here (again).
ditto
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 18:28
Meddle is the one that resonated with me for personal reasons when I was in college but I think Dark Side is their best.....for me the songwriting is excellent on that one....while their playing reached a peak on Wish and Animals.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 21:04

Well, I think after Barrett Waters was the greatest creative force of Floydīs, and how great albums the Wall and the Final Cut are comparing to Momentary & Division proofs that. But I have become in my older age mercyful to those two albums, I think they have enough Floyd magic to like them.

As far as I understand it, it was not until Dark Side that Waters became the band's greatest creative force, and then it was mostly for the development of concepts, for the music was still more evenly created between the band. But Waters indeed appears in all the credits because of the lyrics, even if he didn't really contribute that much to the writing of the music. It was not until The Wall (and The Final Cut, of course) that he really took control of the music and concept... and that's how I can compare how much I think he wasn't enough to make the band so great... and then his solo albums confirm it.   Once again, as far as Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are concerned, at least I like DB more than The Wall, and I guess MLoR takes the edge over TFC (at least slightly, though I think both are somewhat tied). Still, those two (or 3?) Gilmour led albums did loose something with the loss of Waters... but at the same time they gained a new sound that I am fond of indeed... they seem to have taken the blueprint of Comfortably Numb, actually, the greatest song on The Wall, and many of the songs on those two albums are, for me, at least as great as CN, so that is enough to make them a great addition to Floyd's discography.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 22:50

As far as I understand it, it was not until Dark Side that Waters became the band's greatest creative force, and then it was mostly for the development of concepts, for the music was still more evenly created between the band. But Waters indeed appears in all the credits because of the lyrics, even if he didn't really contribute that much to the writing of the music. It was not until The Wall (and The Final Cut, of course) that he really took control of the music and concept... and that's how I can compare how much I think he wasn't enough to make the band so great... and then his solo albums confirm it.   Once again, as far as Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are concerned, at least I like DB more than The Wall, and I guess MLoR takes the edge over TFC (at least slightly, though I think both are somewhat tied). Still, those two (or 3?) Gilmour led albums did loose something with the loss of Waters... but at the same time they gained a new sound that I am fond of indeed... they seem to have taken the blueprint of Comfortably Numb, actually, the greatest song on The Wall, and many of the songs on those two albums are, for me, at least as great as CN, so that is enough to make them a great addition to Floyd's discography.
I just read Pink Floyd book, there is said that after Barrett Waters took the lead of Pink Floyd (also I have read that same thing before somewhere else). I donīt believe Pink Floyd would have continued after Barrett without Waters. It took a while when Gilmour started composing. In Saucerful Of Secrets there are three Waters-songs, two Wrightīs (I really liked all Wright songs), one Barrett and one whole band composition. In More there are five Waters compositions, 6 whole group compositions, one Mason/Wright composition and one Gilmour piece, which really shows his compositions talents of that time. After those albums band started equally compose, although I think Masonīs part has never been big.

I think if Waters hadnīt take the lead in Animals, Floyd albums would have sounded like Wish You Were Here. To me Momentary Lapse & Division Bell are continuation of Wish You Were Here, I donīt think there are much of new (well they modernize their sound, but still those albums are Wish You Were Here of eighties and nineties). Theyīre ok albums to me, but nothing more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>