Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Pink Floyd Album (really again)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Choose yr favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [4.40%]
2 [2.20%]
2 [2.20%]
6 [6.59%]
12 [13.19%]
6 [6.59%]
3 [3.30%]
15 [16.48%]
18 [19.78%]
14 [15.38%]
2 [2.20%]
2 [2.20%]
2 [2.20%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.10%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.20%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 07:10
If you're looking for an 'objective' votng process then I think you will need a time machine and fly back to whenever the internet was still fresh and people were more...erm...honest??...yeah that is the wrong word surely, but when the same people have talked about the same subject for about 10 years they tend to veer off in directions that appear more 'individual'. 'I am unique and wholly myself'. It is the modern mantra and it manifeste itself wherever you look. Whether it's fashion, tattoos, music, movies or mere communication it is apparently imperative to be 'original'.

Then there are folks who like to be contrarians meaning whatever you say, mean or do they'll automatically take the opposite stance. I do this quite a lot in real life conversations, but that is more because I love showcasing when people are using phony political correctness in order to masque their real intentions.

There are also just members who've done this poll so many times before that it is nice with a little change. I'd peobably say that Atom Heart Mother usually is the one I consider their best...but today my favourite is More.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 07:13
Choose yr favorite and Best are two entirely different polls...just saying.

For me, the best would have to be Dark Side of the Moon, in songwriting, production, presentation, longevity, concept, etc...but it's far from my own favorite.

That would be Piper (thank you, Syd), or Saucerful of Secrets...or the live Ummagumma disc. The earliest stuff just has a more compelling aura...
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 07:27
Ummagumma is my favorite, followed by Piper, Atom Heat Mother and Dark Side. 
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 08:04
I was tempted to vote for Meddle (as no one else has yet) but Animals is just too damned good.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 08:11
votes Meddle
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 08:36
WYWH.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 08:47
Fav? Piper. Best? Animals.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 08:52
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

If you're looking for an 'objective' votng process then I think you will need a time machine and fly back to whenever the internet was still fresh and people were more...erm...honest??...yeah that is the wrong word surely, but when the same people have talked about the same subject for about 10 years they tend to veer off in directions that appear more 'individual'. 'I am unique and wholly myself'. It is the modern mantra and it manifeste itself wherever you look. Whether it's fashion, tattoos, music, movies or mere communication it is apparently imperative to be 'original'.

Then there are folks who like to be contrarians meaning whatever you say, mean or do they'll automatically take the opposite stance. I do this quite a lot in real life conversations, but that is more because I love showcasing when people are using phony political correctness in order to masque their real intentions.

There are also just members who've done this poll so many times before that it is nice with a little change. I'd peobably say that Atom Heart Mother usually is the one I consider their best...but today my favourite is More.
I understand what youīre talking about, seen also lot of that. But anyway I say I think itīs stupid to like some album just the reason most fans donīt like it, just to become original. I like what I like, doesnīt matter to me is something very popular or not. I donīt think somebody is a person if he chooses always something no-one else doesnīt choose, I think then the one is a same kind of robot as the people who choose everything according to fashion or salesmen etc. 

And I am not meaning all who thinks Obscured is Floydīs best album, donīt choose it for honest opinion. I just donīt understand it. Even we all have original tastes, I still believe there is some kind of objectivity in music hearing. I really understand people are not choosing Dark Side the best, also I really understand why you like much More, because itīs very near of Piper or saucerful. But does anyone seriously claim, the Beatles For Sale is Beatles best album?

Anyway there seem to be love almost all Pink Floyd albums which I think is a great thing.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 08:55
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

Choose yr favorite and Best are two entirely different polls...just saying.

For me, the best would have to be Dark Side of the Moon, in songwriting, production, presentation, longevity, concept, etc...but it's far from my own favorite.

That would be Piper (thank you, Syd), or Saucerful of Secrets...or the live Ummagumma disc. The earliest stuff just has a more compelling aura...
Sorry, I didnīt understand favourite and best are different things, because to me theyīre same. My favourite in every band is that album which I think has the best music IMO. But donīt make that mistake ever again.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 09:48
Ummagumma's live album is the best; the studio/solo album is still fine but nowhere near Pink Floyd's best.
Animals is most consistent and I love it.
Meddle has, in Echoes, probably the best half album of all time.

Vote Ummagumma considering that if I could pick just one out of these to have, Ummagumma would be it, although there's the somewhat unfair situation that Ummagumma gives me twice as many minutes of music as most of the competitors, even though I wouldn't rate half of these minutes that high.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 10:08
wish you were here (again)
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 10:23
Animals.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 12:15
Atom Heart Mother (again and again)

My fav always will be Pompeii, indeed.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 16:19
Hard to vote against Meddle because Echoes is Floyd's greatest song, but Dark Side of the Moon is a masterpiece and how I voted. But I do have a special place in my heart for Wish You Were Here as it literally saved my life at college. I was in my dorm (had the room to myself, but that's another story) and was listening to WYWH with the lights out, only a candle burning. If the music hadn't been incredible, I most likely would have fallen asleep and would't have known when my girlfriend's stalker came into the room with a knife to remove his rival (me). Yes, I was stupid and didn't lock the door but it was 1975 and didn't worry about such things then. This guy came in; I pretended to be asleep and when he got close to my bed I punched him in the throat with all my might and he dropped the knife. I kicked it under the bed and jumped at him. He was crazy, I was taller, bigger, stronger and he nearly beat the crap out of me until others in the hall came to my aid. If the music hadn't been so enthralling I would most likely have been stabbed to death in my bed. (Hard to believe I didn't vote WYWH! But Dark Side of Moon is one of greatest albums EVER.
PROGMATIC
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 16:49
Meddle>Wish You Are Here>Dark Side of the Moon
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 18:29
Floyd was the band that got me into all forms of progressive music. I agree there really is not a bad Floyd album. I have real soft spots for Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma, Meddle (even More and Obscured)...but... I really think The Wall is a singular achievement. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 18:41
A few years back, I voted for WYWH every time.

Now, I vote for Meddle
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 21:41
Indeed for me Pink Floyd did no bad album, and the triad of Dakr Side to Animals (perhaps including the song Echoes, if I may chat a bit) is the run of albums for me (actually, I would also include The Division Bell, but it breaks the continuity, and the feel of the album is different... and perhaps also "Live in Pompeii, but that one being a video sort of doesn't fit either). However, my favourite one is and always will be Wish you were Here (though, actually, Animals is almost tied in my preference). Oh, and for the time, you will have to eat something un-healty, since The Endless River had more votes than The Wall (even if it's only one vote against zero).

Edited by Dellinger - January 11 2018 at 21:48
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 21:47

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Today More. Tomorrow Ummagumma...and the day after Atom Heart Mother......but never ever The Final Cut. Why is that? Because it is rubbish.
Noooo! Maybe you should give it a one more try? I listened it few days ago, havenīt before that listened it many years and it was a lot better than I remembered. Hundred times better than any solo album of Floyd members!

I took your advice and put it on. Sorry but I couldn't make it past the 15 minute mark before I had to turn it off. To me it genuinely sounds like outtakes from The Wall served up without the 'magic' that is Floyd when they are at their absolute best: together cooperating as a team.

Btw I completely understand how some would consider Obscured by Clouds their best album. Maybe it was their first Floyd album. Maybe it was the one that finally spoke to them. Maybe they heard it while drunk/happy/drugged out their minds and it made sense.
The more I learn about other people and their listening habits the more I believe in subjectivity and how nothing is worth measuring without a set of tastebuds...individual as they may be.

Perhaps 15 min is just not enough to get to the better stuff from The Final Cut. Yeah, it's not one of their greater albums, but it is still good. And the best songs are nearer the end. Mostly "The Fletcher Memorial Home" and the title track are just as good as anything on The Wall (actually, the Hero's Return too, but I have heard the single version that includes parts 1 & 2, and while the version on the album is too short to really enjoy it, this other version is really great). I guess the most important thing missing on this album is Wright... the album just misses his atmosphere (even though The Wall itself doesn't have enough Wright... and I guess that's the reason that won't let me put the album at the same level as it's predecesors).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 23:22
^Not Now John is nearest of the old Floyd (I think itīs the only one where Gilmour is singing). But I think the Final Cut is just not for David.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>