Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Pink Floyd Album (really again)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Choose yr favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [4.40%]
2 [2.20%]
2 [2.20%]
6 [6.59%]
12 [13.19%]
6 [6.59%]
3 [3.30%]
15 [16.48%]
18 [19.78%]
14 [15.38%]
2 [2.20%]
2 [2.20%]
2 [2.20%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.10%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.20%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 10:17
Atom Heart Mother, as ever.

Interesting to see that even after 68 votes, The Wall has yet to receive any votes at all.

If included, I would have voted for Cre/Ation, which is mostly unreleased material.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 13:33
Piper isn't the "best" PF album, it's the "only" PF album (aside from bits of Saucerful).  Without Syd, they were a different band, and one that I'm not particularly fond of.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 21:29
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

As far as I understand it, it was not until Dark Side that Waters became the band's greatest creative force, and then it was mostly for the development of concepts, for the music was still more evenly created between the band. But Waters indeed appears in all the credits because of the lyrics, even if he didn't really contribute that much to the writing of the music. It was not until The Wall (and The Final Cut, of course) that he really took control of the music and concept... and that's how I can compare how much I think he wasn't enough to make the band so great... and then his solo albums confirm it.   Once again, as far as Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are concerned, at least I like DB more than The Wall, and I guess MLoR takes the edge over TFC (at least slightly, though I think both are somewhat tied). Still, those two (or 3?) Gilmour led albums did loose something with the loss of Waters... but at the same time they gained a new sound that I am fond of indeed... they seem to have taken the blueprint of Comfortably Numb, actually, the greatest song on The Wall, and many of the songs on those two albums are, for me, at least as great as CN, so that is enough to make them a great addition to Floyd's discography.
I just read Pink Floyd book, there is said that after Barrett Waters took the lead of Pink Floyd (also I have read that same thing before somewhere else). I donīt believe Pink Floyd would have continued after Barrett without Waters. It took a while when Gilmour started composing. In Saucerful Of Secrets there are three Waters-songs, two Wrightīs (I really liked all Wright songs), one Barrett and one whole band composition. In More there are five Waters compositions, 6 whole group compositions, one Mason/Wright composition and one Gilmour piece, which really shows his compositions talents of that time. After those albums band started equally compose, although I think Masonīs part has never been big.

I think if Waters hadnīt take the lead in Animals, Floyd albums would have sounded like Wish You Were Here. To me Momentary Lapse & Division Bell are continuation of Wish You Were Here, I donīt think there are much of new (well they modernize their sound, but still those albums are Wish You Were Here of eighties and nineties). Theyīre ok albums to me, but nothing more.

I guess it's safe to believe Waters was mostly the leader since Barrett "left" the band, perhaps the one that pushed on. But as you say, even in Saucerful Wright was still writing songs, and it's only 3 against 2. More is indeed dominated by Waters, though. And after that it's pretty even indeed. Still, I guess it does show more input from Waters since Dark Side in the concept part, and I still don't buy that Waters had the lead on Animals, at least not in the writing department. Yeah, it's only one song co-written with Gilmour, but once again, credits to Waters are because of the lyrics, but as far as I understand, it is mostly a Gilmour song, and that one takes almost half the album, and it is for me the best song on the album (though of course I do love it all). I don't think the Gilmour led albums are so similar to Wish you were Here, for the format of that album is very different... much more atmospheric and less song-oriented (mostly because of Shine On), but I guess great part of what I do love from them is indeed whatever similarities they might have had with Wish you were Here indeed. Though I insist they are more of a continuation of Comfrotably Numb.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 22:42

As far as I understand it, it was not until Dark Side that Waters became the band's greatest creative force, and then it was mostly for the development of concepts, for the music was still more evenly created between the band. But Waters indeed appears in all the credits because of the lyrics, even if he didn't really contribute that much to the writing of the music. It was not until The Wall (and The Final Cut, of course) that he really took control of the music and concept... and that's how I can compare how much I think he wasn't enough to make the band so great... and then his solo albums confirm it.   Once again, as far as Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are concerned, at least I like DB more than The Wall, and I guess MLoR takes the edge over TFC (at least slightly, though I think both are somewhat tied). Still, those two (or 3?) Gilmour led albums did loose something with the loss of Waters... but at the same time they gained a new sound that I am fond of indeed... they seem to have taken the blueprint of Comfortably Numb, actually, the greatest song on The Wall, and many of the songs on those two albums are, for me, at least as great as CN, so that is enough to make them a great addition to Floyd's discography.
I just read Pink Floyd book, there is said that after Barrett Waters took the lead of Pink Floyd (also I have read that same thing before somewhere else). I donīt believe Pink Floyd would have continued after Barrett without Waters. It took a while when Gilmour started composing. In Saucerful Of Secrets there are three Waters-songs, two Wrightīs (I really liked all Wright songs), one Barrett and one whole band composition. In More there are five Waters compositions, 6 whole group compositions, one Mason/Wright composition and one Gilmour piece, which really shows his compositions talents of that time. After those albums band started equally compose, although I think Masonīs part has never been big.

I think if Waters hadnīt take the lead in Animals, Floyd albums would have sounded like Wish You Were Here. To me Momentary Lapse & Division Bell are continuation of Wish You Were Here, I donīt think there are much of new (well they modernize their sound, but still those albums are Wish You Were Here of eighties and nineties). Theyīre ok albums to me, but nothing more.

I guess it's safe to believe Waters was mostly the leader since Barrett "left" the band, perhaps the one that pushed on. But as you say, even in Saucerful Wright was still writing songs, and it's only 3 against 2. More is indeed dominated by Waters, though. And after that it's pretty even indeed. Still, I guess it does show more input from Waters since Dark Side in the concept part, and I still don't buy that Waters had the lead on Animals, at least not in the writing department. Yeah, it's only one song co-written with Gilmour, but once again, credits to Waters are because of the lyrics, but as far as I understand, it is mostly a Gilmour song, and that one takes almost half the album, and it is for me the best song on the album (though of course I do love it all). I don't think the Gilmour led albums are so similar to Wish you were Here, for the format of that album is very different... much more atmospheric and less song-oriented (mostly because of Shine On), but I guess great part of what I do love from them is indeed whatever similarities they might have had with Wish you were Here indeed. Though I insist they are more of a continuation of Comfrotably Numb.
Well, itīs not belief, itīs something that I read from the Pink Floyd book Smile. Of course itīs hard to know what truly happend those days when Barrett got sick, but I understood Mason & Wright were quite hopeless for the future of Pink Floyd, Gilmour has just become to the band, so Waters decided to take a lead. Although he didnīt wrote all the songs, he was a kind of mentally leader who made others to believe they could make it without Syd. And they did. I think youīre right about Dogs, I think also itīs the greatest piece in Animals and I believe too itīs mostly made by Gilmour. Anyway that time Wright was mostly out of the game. I think there are lots of people, who claim Waters about that what he did to Wright. But it was true Wright had that time really big drug problem and he truly wasnīt interested to do anything in Pink Floyd. Of course Roger could have handle the situation better way, but in the book it was said he regreted the those things afterwards.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 22:51
Well, I think there are quite much of atmospheric and less song oriented stuff in the Momentary and Division just like Wish You Were. Signs Of Life, Round and Around, New Machineīs and Terminal Frost in Momentary and Cluster One and Marooned in Division. Less in the Division, but then again Endless is full of it and itīs made same time as Division.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 15:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Today More. Tomorrow Ummagumma...and the day after Atom Heart Mother......but never ever The Final Cut. Why is that? Because it is rubbish.
I love TFC, too. I happened to relisten to it recently, and even if it misses Wright who I think has been essential to the Floyd sound, Southampton Docks is a great track.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 15:00
Btw, I can't vote. Today I'd say Piper, but usually it's Meddle
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 15:12
Curious to see DSOTM keeps getting (much deserved) anonymous votes - no one wants to acknowledge out in the open the obvious choice of the silent masses, why is that so?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 21:31

Well, itīs not belief, itīs something that I read from the Pink Floyd book Smile. Of course itīs hard to know what truly happend those days when Barrett got sick, but I understood Mason & Wright were quite hopeless for the future of Pink Floyd, Gilmour has just become to the band, so Waters decided to take a lead. Although he didnīt wrote all the songs, he was a kind of mentally leader who made others to believe they could make it without Syd. And they did. I think youīre right about Dogs, I think also itīs the greatest piece in Animals and I believe too itīs mostly made by Gilmour. Anyway that time Wright was mostly out of the game. I think there are lots of people, who claim Waters about that what he did to Wright. But it was true Wright had that time really big drug problem and he truly wasnīt interested to do anything in Pink Floyd. Of course Roger could have handle the situation better way, but in the book it was said he regreted the those things afterwards.

I still might wonder how well informed was the writer, specially on those internal affairs. Better than us, at least. However, I would expect Nick Mason's book to be the best to get a good idea about the inner workings of the band through it's different eras.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 21:37

Well, I think there are quite much of atmospheric and less song oriented stuff in the Momentary and Division just like Wish You Were. Signs Of Life, Round and Around, New Machineīs and Terminal Frost in Momentary and Cluster One and Marooned in Division. Less in the Division, but then again Endless is full of it and itīs made same time as Division.

Yeah, but those pieces on Momentary Lapse are more like an intro and interludes, rather short pieces. Except for Terminal Frost, but even though it's instrumental, it sounds more like an instrumental song than an ambient piece. And the album does has it's good bits of instrumental guitar solos on the songs, but it doesn't quiet sound the same as in Echoes, Shine On, Dogs... or some others. And indeed Division Bell has a bit less of those moments, and even though The Endless River is full of it, well, it was not chosen to be used on DB. Even though I do love DB, I believe if they had used some of those instrumental ambient music and incorporated it into the album, they could have rivaled what they achieved in the 70's, but it just seems it's not what they were looking for.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 00:06
This trio are as close to perfection as Pink Floyd ever came to my ears. As I even like Seamus I'll give my vote to the one on top:
Meddle
Saucerful Of Secrets
Piper at the Gates Of Dawn

Almost there:
Atom Heart Mother 

One and a half off: 
Ummagumma
The Wall 
Dark Side Of the Moon (love the opening and end, not so much the middle)

I think I understand the appeal, but these classics only works for me in parts:
Wish You Were Here
Animals

-Great in parts but extremely patchy:
More
Obscured by Clouds

-The rest are about as interesting to me as Chris Rea or a Mark Knopfler solo album (=not the worst music on the planet but I'm indifferent/bored)

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 16:53
Meddle 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 18:51
I just voted for The Wall (I am finally able to vote in these polls! yay). 

While I love Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma, Meddle, DSOTM, Wish, Animals...etc to death, and on any given day I might prefer to listen to those, I really think that The Wall is a singular achievement in the history of music that has to this day never been matched (in terms of the cohesion, weight and depth of its concept and message).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 22:23
Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

I just voted for The Wall (I am finally able to vote in these polls! yay). 

While I love Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma, Meddle, DSOTM, Wish, Animals...etc to death, and on any given day I might prefer to listen to those, I really think that The Wall is a singular achievement in the history of music that has to this day never been matched (in terms of the cohesion, weight and depth of its concept and message).
Really great the Wall finally got itīs first vote! I think also it really deserved much more than many other Floyd albums!
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 21:53
Umma Gumma > Meddle > Wish You Were Here > Saucerful of Secrets > Animals > Dark Side of the Moon > Atom Heart Mother > Momentary Lapse of Reason > Piper at the Gates of Dawn > The Wall
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 01:30
What about Dramatisation, Germination, Cambridge Station, Obfuscation, Deviation, Reverberation and Continuation? Unless kicking over the same old ground is enough? Umpteen hours of new old Floyd, someone must be interested.

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 02:19
WYWH > Animals > Meddle > Dark Side >

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - February 04 2018 at 02:20

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 02:24
First and only ...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 04:18
I was torn between "Meddle" and "Ummagumma" (and perhaps "Atom Heart Mother"), and I chose "Meddle". and I like side one of "Meddle" just a much as side two, including the much hated "Seamus"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 04:27
^I like Seamus too, I donīt think itīs meant to taken seriously originally. Kind of light ending of the side. Also Madamoiselle Nobs in the Pompeii is really hearty.

I am a big acoustic Blues-fan, maybe thatīs also one explanation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>