Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Pink Floyd Album (really again)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: Choose yr favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [4.40%]
2 [2.20%]
2 [2.20%]
6 [6.59%]
12 [13.19%]
6 [6.59%]
3 [3.30%]
15 [16.48%]
18 [19.78%]
14 [15.38%]
2 [2.20%]
2 [2.20%]
2 [2.20%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.10%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.20%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 22:04
^ I'm not really very fond of Seamus, but somehow Mademoisell Nobs bothers me less, and doesn't really bring down Live at Pompeii as Seamus does on Meddle.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 22:08
^no, Seamus doesnīt bring down Meddle. Itīs just a little snack before the great supper.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 22:13
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

What about Dramatisation, Germination, Cambridge Station, Obfuscation, Deviation, Reverberation and Continuation? Unless kicking over the same old ground is enough? Umpteen hours of new old Floyd, someone must be interested.

I have been listening to those new compilations, and even though they are really interesting, I wouldn't think they are greater than any of their real albums. Besides, I don't like the format they were released... first, Pink Floyd has always had outstanding covers and presentation (at least since they started working with Hypgnosis), while this ones have lame presentation and names. Also, I really think they are rather expensive given the amount of new material offered (though maybe I am biased because I had just got a few years earlier some available BBC recordings that were used on this sets... if I hadn't done so I would have loved to hear those recordings for the first time on this sets). However, I think they could rather have released a few new "lost" studio albums, (such as the Syd Barrett singles and unreleased songs making the format of a lost album, as well as the singles from early Gilmour songs... yeah, many of them have been released already, but not in a consistent and long enough format to make as an album), and perhaps a special edition of More with the extra new songs. And a release of a purley Pink Floyd album with all the music recorded by them for Zabriskie Poing. Plus a few live BBC albums and DVD's. Any of those at reasonable album prices and not over priced sets.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 22:14
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^no, Seamus doesnīt bring down Meddle. Itīs just a little snack before the great supper.

Yeah well, I guess it's short enough to be inofensive, really, just like More Fool Me on Selling England by the Pound.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 02:16
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

What about Dramatisation, Germination, Cambridge Station, Obfuscation, Deviation, Reverberation and Continuation? Unless kicking over the same old ground is enough? Umpteen hours of new old Floyd, someone must be interested.

I have been listening to those new compilations, and even though they are really interesting, I wouldn't think they are greater than any of their real albums. Besides, I don't like the format they were released... first, Pink Floyd has always had outstanding covers and presentation (at least since they started working with Hypgnosis), while this ones have lame presentation and names. Also, I really think they are rather expensive given the amount of new material offered (though maybe I am biased because I had just got a few years earlier some available BBC recordings that were used on this sets... if I hadn't done so I would have loved to hear those recordings for the first time on this sets). However, I think they could rather have released a few new "lost" studio albums, (such as the Syd Barrett singles and unreleased songs making the format of a lost album, as well as the singles from early Gilmour songs... yeah, many of them have been released already, but not in a consistent and long enough format to make as an album), and perhaps a special edition of More with the extra new songs. And a release of a purley Pink Floyd album with all the music recorded by them for Zabriskie Poing. Plus a few live BBC albums and DVD's. Any of those at reasonable album prices and not over priced sets.

All true. Yes they are expensive (or it is expensive). Yes they have been out there, I know I've got the whole lot (well, a lot) in bootleg form.

However covers, price not withstanding - given that t all works out at about 20 something CDs (I extract the audio as my blu ray and stereo seem incompatible and I prefer listening to watching) brings it down to merely prohibitively expensive.

I don't know about too much archive studio albums waiting to never be unearthed but  what they did release is all wonderful. Unedited Set The Controls (unlike Ummagumma's which could have been released as the original unfaded version. Alas those who actually want vinyl will have to endure the short version.Including c. disc listeners.

I hope this lot gets released in a way that people can actually buy 'em, write about how disappointed they are Sl*g the lot off, listen to them, think about it and make polls about them. It's a lot to absorb even for those who have boots of them so there is a alot to look forward to.

The accidental release of the Pompeii soundtrack was one amusing moment. Couldn't tell too much about the remix of Obscured. But it's good to have the movies at long last. All those BBC Sessions as well.

Sigh. It's my favourite PF era.

One of these days the box set should be cut into little pieces so people can get it and argue and we can progress as usual.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 02:57
........after 4000 pages, it’s always gonna be whatever it is !!!
For me, the Floyd magic period is between ‘68 - ‘73, with Piper being really something, too.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 03:12
The Embryo, Libest Spacement Monitor, One Of These Days and the Best of Tour 72 from Swingin Pig are all really great bootlegs. Really love also early versions of Dogs & Sheep. As many not-fans thinks, Pink Floyd really didnīt play their stuff same way in the live 60-70ties and that makes those great quality bootlegs very interesting.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 03:19
^
Love their ability to just chop-and-change their compositions in the live setting. As much as they suck (not all of them ) early Floyd boots are f**king priceless.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 04:34
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^
Love their ability to just chop-and-change their compositions in the live setting. As much as they suck (not all of them ) early Floyd boots are f**king priceless.
Well, I have got three of those Swingin Pig booties I mentioned and I havenīt paid them much. 20-30 euros of each. Also what is great the cover quality of Swingin Pig is just excellent.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 22:13
Actually the different parts of the set are available separatley in the store I visit frequently, and they have lowered the price (between 32 and 35 dollars each, depending on what exchange rate I consider). That's the way I got them... and ended up getting them all, though I was tempted to leave out the last two (well, those last two were given to me for Christmas, so I didn't have to make up my mind about buying them or not). Though this way I did miss a few of the material, like the movies, and the last extra set of bonus.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 23:07
To me this poll seems to show quite honest picture of the taste of Floyd fans. Naturally I would have like to see the Wall and Saucerful get more votes, because they belong into my great Floyd albums more than for example Wish You Were Here, but I quess that is just the way it is.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 02:13
It might be better to find a good ROIO torrenting site and get yer stacks of Floyd there. You expend band width rather than cash. And you get some awesome PF recordings usually done by people who really care rather than bootleggers looking to make a little killing.

The Montreux 70 and 71 sets (only Atom Heart Mother from the 1970 show is on the box set) are absolutely essential.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 22:27
That sounds like an interesting idea, but I wouldn't know how to find a trustworthy torrent site. And I don't think this forum is the best place to discuss such things without getting into trouble.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 07:57

Seamus and SanTropez are little bits of fun on Meddle. Pillow of Winds and Fearless are a bit of a letdown on that album. Of course Echoes and One of These Days more than make up for it.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 08:17
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Curious to see DSOTM keeps getting (much deserved) anonymous votes - no one wants to acknowledge out in the open the obvious choice of the silent masses, why is that so?

Been on a serious PF kick lately. Saucerful was playing yesterday. My fav is Dark Side. It's got everything. The music enhances the lyrics. The sound is incredible. The interplay between Wright and Gilmour is stunning. For years i thought WYWH and DSOTM as 1/1a. But lately I have to go with Dark Side
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 08:25

I have 1969, 1970 and 1972. Worth the price of admission. Live at Pompeii on cd is incredible by having it all in one place and Echoes put together instead of how its on the movie. I think that disc would have gotten some votes by itself.   

So happy that these disks were released and especially when they broke it down into the separate releases. Not interested that much into the pre and Syd era, although of course there are some interesting things from the Early Years box set that I would like to have.

Edited by tdfloyd - February 11 2018 at 08:32
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 21:47
^ I thought the most interesting one was exactly the Syd era one, since that one has the 65 songs that have never been released before. Though the one with "The Man and the Journey" is great indeed. And finally having that version of "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" from Pompeii on CD is great too.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 00:16
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

Seamus and SanTropez are little bits of fun on Meddle. Pillow of Winds and Fearless are a bit of a letdown on that album. Of course Echoes and One of These Days more than make up for it.
I really love Pillow Of Winds! I think One of these, Pillow and Echoes are absolutely excellent, the rest is ok. But anyway those three songs make me that, Atom heart is my favourite because I think there just arenīt any weak moment in Atom heart.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 00:21
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Curious to see DSOTM keeps getting (much deserved) anonymous votes - no one wants to acknowledge out in the open the obvious choice of the silent masses, why is that so?

Been on a serious PF kick lately. Saucerful was playing yesterday. My fav is Dark Side. It's got everything. The music enhances the lyrics. The sound is incredible. The interplay between Wright and Gilmour is stunning. For years i thought WYWH and DSOTM as 1/1a. But lately I have to go with Dark Side
When I started to listen Floyd, Dark side was also my favourite long time. I wasnīt very excited about their 1967-1970 era at first, but then started to love it even more than their 1973> era. One reason why Atom Heart is my favourite, that there is something from both, some psychedelic and also some later kind of stuff.

I believe Floyd will stay my big favourites rest of my life, because I have now listened them over 30 years and not ever get bored to them. Of course not now listen them as much as I have listened.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2018 at 06:26
Animals
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345