Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Songs that make you believe modern prog is better
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs that make you believe modern prog is better

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Songs that make you believe modern prog is better
    Posted: April 27 2018 at 12:17

The following albums make me think that modern prog can be as good as or even better than classic period prog:

Part The Second (Maudlin Of The Well)
From Silence To Somewhere (Wobbler)
Anno Domini High Definition (Riverside)
Crack The Skye (Mastodon)
Viljans Öga (Änglagård)
The Death Defying Unicorn (Motorpsycho & Ståle Storløkken)
The Black Chord (Astra)
Fear Of A Blank Planet (Porcupine Tree)
Snowtorch (Phideaux)
The Mountain (Haken)
Posthumous Silence (Sylvan)
For Long Tomorrow (Toe)
Pulsar (Counter-World Experience)

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 09:28
Transatlantic "Stranger In You Soul"
The Flower Kings "Love Supreme"
Neal Morse "The Door"
The Tangent "In Earnest"
Kaipa "A Complex Work Of Art"
Steven Wilson "Luminol"
Big Big Train "Folklore"
Wobbler "From Silence To Somewhere"

All the above are every bit as good as Classic Era Prog (in my opinion.) And there are lots more!!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 06:37
None.Wink
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 05:40
Farmhouse Odyssey and Once and Future Band. Actually, screw that. I believe that as long as it's good music it doesn't matter if it's new or old. The thing is that nowadays there's more music in general, it's easier to make it and therefore there's more stinkers.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 02:25
IMO overall modern prog is not better. There are only some songs that are better to me e. g. Sigur Ros - Dauðalogn. I haven't heard any band so special, etheral, angelic, sometimes childlike ...
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 21:16
Not that I necessarily think modern prog is better persay, but these are the songs that reinforce my belief that prog is definitely alive and well.

Let's start in 1992 and go in chronological order:
"Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper" by Dream Theater
"Ghost of Durtal" by Galahad
"Further Away" by IQ
"It's Ice" by Phish
"Goodbye to All That" by Marillion
"The Sky Moves Sideways" by Porcupine Tree
"The Water" by Spock's Beard
"Ænema" by Tool
"An Accidental Man" and "This Strange Engine" by Marillion
"Paranoid Android" by Radiohead
"Universal Mind" and "When the Water Breaks" by LTE
"The National Anthem" by Radiohead
"At the End of the Day" by Spock's Beard
"Citizen Erased" by Muse
"Lateralus" by Tool
"Time Consumer" by Coheed and Cambria
"Wedding Nails" by Porcupine Tree
"In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3" and "21:13" by Coheed and Cambria
"Sacred Sound" and "Harvest of Souls" by IQ
"The Invisible Man" and "Ocean Cloud" by Marillion
The Willing Well suite by Coheed and Cambria
"Knights of Cydonia" by Muse
"As Far As the Mind Can See" by Spock's Beard
"Vicarious" by Tool
The End Complete suite by Coheed and Cambria
"Empires Never Last" by Galahad
"Way Out of Here" by Porcupine Tree
"The Walls of Babylon" by Symphony X
The Phantom on the Horizon EP by The Fall of Troy
"Tempting Time" by Animals as Leaders
"The Count of Tuscany" by Dream Theater
"People and Their Lives" by The Fall of Troy
"The Province of the King" by IQ
"The Czar" by Mastodon
The entirety of Part the Second by Maudlin of the Well
"Exogenesis: Symphony" by Muse
"In the Flame of Error" by Coheed and Cambria
"Edge of the In Between" and "From the Darkness" by Spock's Beard
"Breaking All Illusions" by Dream Theater
"Concealing Fate" and "Eden" by TesseracT
"Key Entity Extraction I: Domino the Destitute" and "Gravity's Union" by Coheed and Cambria
"The Olive Tree" and "The Traveler" by Scale the Summit
"Hiding Out" and "A Treasure Abandoned" by Spock's Beard
"Luminol" by Steven Wilson
"Of Matter" by TesseracT
"Kascade" and "Tooth and Claw" by Animals as Leaders
The whole album Descensus by Circa Survive
The album The Road of Bones by IQ
"Paper Moon" by Plini
"Tides of Time" by Spock's Beard
"Home Invasion / Regret #9" by Steven Wilson
The whole album Handmade Cities by Plini
"Caverns" by Thank You Scientist
"Return to Earth" by The Contortionist
"Belvedere" by Intervals
The whole album Polygondwanaland by King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard (they're not in the archives yet, but I believe they are being considered for addition).
"Roots Remain" by Mastodon
The album From Silence to Somewhere by Wobbler
"Blot" by Between the Buried and Me
"Seas of Change" by Galahad
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 10:53
Anything from KARDA ESTRA's Eve
The first or last songs from maudlin of The Well's Part The Second
Anything from PROGHMA-C's Bar-do travel, VOTUM's Harvest Moon, or KARNIVOOL's Asymmetry
Anything by German Pagan Folk band FAUN
Anything from NZ band JAKOB's Sines
Anything by OLGA PODGAISKAJA (Rational Diet, Five-Storey Ensemble)
Anything from Vortex by SONAR with David Torn
ANNA VON HAUSSWOLF's "The Mysterious Vanishing of Electra"
Anything from AALTO's Ikaro
RIVERSIDE's Second Life Syndrome
SYLVAN's Posthumous Silence
Anything from UTOPIANISTI's The Third Frontier
"Sunshine" and "Being Human" by BENT KNEE
"Frosti" by BJÖRK
"Crashmind" by FROM.UZ
"Falling Down" by FROST*
"Unsound" and "Wonderland" from FUNIN
Anything from THE GABRIEL CONSTRUCT's Interior City
"Culturismo Ballo Organizzare" or anything from Limiti all'eguaglianza della Parte con il Tutto by HOMUNCULUS RES
Anything from HOYRY-KONE's Huono Parturi
"One-Armed Bandit" and "Oban" by JAGA JAZZIST
No tiengo miedo by KANT FREUD KAFKA
"Slave" by LEPROUS
"Transition" by LUNATIC SOUL
"Cicatrix ESP" by THE MARS VOLTA
"Mute" by NATIVE CONSTRUCT
"Morpheus Miracle Worker" by NORTH SEA RADIO ORCHESTRA
"You Can't Keep a Bad Man Down" by OCEANSIZE
Anything from OOIOO's Taiga
"Awakening" and "Heat of the Day" from PAT METHENY
"Way Out of Here" and "Sleep Together" by PORCUPINE TREE
"Oh, My Gravity!" and "God Left Us for a Black-Dressed Woman" by SEVEN IMPALE
"Ny Batteri" and "Untitled #8 (Popplagið)" by SIGUR RÓS

Try those and then tell me that prog is not alive and well post 1990!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 04:31
^Because the other is better. Only the best do for me.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 02:52

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 22:54
Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

There is so much great music out there, and I don't think it is right to say the 70s stuff as a whole is "better" than post-70s, even if it was that 70s music that most of us heard first, are thus most loyal to (for good reason). 

Also, I disagree that post-70s (or post-80s) music, should be disparaged as less original. For instance, I consider Godspeed You Black Emperor''s album 'Lift Yer Skinny Fists like Antennas to Heaven' to be one of the top 50 of all time, very original, up there with the classics. The whole post-rock genre, and math rock, have been pushing the boundaries of musical innovation. So much great jazz fusion being made today too, and I like some of the contemporary Zuehl even more than Magma. 

I have tried to listen Math Rock, but found it very mechanic, cold & boring. Also found most of post rock very cold, only Jambinai is great to me (I think the main reason is their Korean acoustic instruments, but also found really beauty from their some songs). And I haven´t found any as great Zeuhl band as Magma.

The greatest music I have found after seventies is mostly different genres as prog. I don´t think there has happened as big revolutions in popular music after seventies as happaned in sixties-seventies, of course there are some really adventurous artists that mix new, interesting mixes from the old elements.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 20:55
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

I like many post-2000 prog bands (e.g. The Psychedelic Ensemble, Vespero, Wobbler, etc) that share a lot of the characteristics of the good old prog bands of the late 60's thru mid 70's. 

A lot of the new bands who call themselves prog, are not prog at all.  They're just "Prog Wannabe's".  Sure, maybe they have good song writing and are pleasant to listen to, but that doesn't make them prog.  For me, "prog" is a very exclusive club that very few artists demonstrate the right to belong to.  I prefer not to dilute the quality of the club by adding every Tom, Dick, and Harry band just because they used an odd time signature once.

The original prog bands were explorers.  They veered off the well-trod course of formulaic rock 'n roll to explore new musical paths, creating sounds and compositions that were completely new.  They went in many different directions (symphonic, folk, electronic, eclectic, etc), but they were all forging new territory.  So, in my mind, you either have to follow in their footsteps and produce music reminiscent of their original explorations (without being copy-cat) or you have to lead a new musical exploration, forging new territories, creating compositions, sounds and styles that are hitherto unheard of.  Most of the new so-called prog bands fail to do either.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

I don't think I agree with making the prog label so exclusive. If they have the characteristics to belong in the genre, then they do, even if they are not the best band you could listen to. Every genre has their most excellent bands. The most popular ones. The followers, the mediocre, and the bad ones. However, I guess you just stated why the 70's bands were so unique: they were trying to do their own original thing... they were trying to break the rules and do something new. Mostly, new prog bands try to stick to the "trademark" sound developed by the bands that were breaking the rules, and that makes them sound formulaic and unoriginal, instead of fresh and daring as the original bands were.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 20:51
Originally posted by The Shrubbery The Shrubbery wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Actually, from my top 5, they are the only one that didn't start in the 70's. There are too many songs that I love from them, though I don't really think they did any full masterpiece albums, because they always include songs that don't really do it for me.
The album "The Final Breath before November" by Edison's Children is just sublime. So, if we want to give songs, it would be "Silhouette", which takes just about the whole album with all of it's segments.
Transatlantic with the album "The Whirwind". Once again, the whole album is supposed to be a single track, so it might just as well fit the criteria.
Perhaps Cast's song "El Puente".
Opeth's "The Drapery Falls". And that's what I can think of at the moment

Can't agree with you more Dellinger. Edison's Children's Final Breath Before November is the most hauntingly beautiful album ive ever listened to. It puts you in that haunting space that the beginning of Supper's Ready or Entangled does but leaves you there for nearly 80 minutes (except the single which is okay). The new Transatlantic album turned me off a bit. Too preachy. But Whirlwind was stunning. Both albums have something in common. Pete Trewavas wrote half of the Final Breath Before November and half the Whirlwind. Maybe Pete T is becoming one of the better songwriters/prog producers of this era. And with Marillion he arranges long songs like The Leavers and The Invisible Man and never gets credit for it. It is time he did

I was disapointed with the new Transatlantic too. Really, for me their best one is The Whirlwind, and then some songs from their other albums, but nothing really reaches the heights of that album for me.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 16:10
Some modern prog is good but too many bands seem to insist on having metal guitar in their prog(and no I'm not referring to full blown prog metal). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 08 2018 at 16:11
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 15:40
There is so much great music out there, and I don't think it is right to say the 70s stuff as a whole is "better" than post-70s, even if it was that 70s music that most of us heard first, are thus most loyal to (for good reason). 

Also, I disagree that post-70s (or post-80s) music, should be disparaged as less original. For instance, I consider Godspeed You Black Emperor''s album 'Lift Yer Skinny Fists like Antennas to Heaven' to be one of the top 50 of all time, very original, up there with the classics. The whole post-rock genre, and math rock, have been pushing the boundaries of musical innovation. So much great jazz fusion being made today too, and I like some of the contemporary Zuehl even more than Magma. 

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 14:22
None......there are some modern bands I really like...,but better than the earlier stuff?..No....,as good as in some cases.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 13:46
I like many post-2000 prog bands (e.g. The Psychedelic Ensemble, Vespero, Wobbler, etc) that share a lot of the characteristics of the good old prog bands of the late 60's thru mid 70's. 

A lot of the new bands who call themselves prog, are not prog at all.  They're just "Prog Wannabe's".  Sure, maybe they have good song writing and are pleasant to listen to, but that doesn't make them prog.  For me, "prog" is a very exclusive club that very few artists demonstrate the right to belong to.  I prefer not to dilute the quality of the club by adding every Tom, Dick, and Harry band just because they used an odd time signature once.

The original prog bands were explorers.  They veered off the well-trod course of formulaic rock 'n roll to explore new musical paths, creating sounds and compositions that were completely new.  They went in many different directions (symphonic, folk, electronic, eclectic, etc), but they were all forging new territory.  So, in my mind, you either have to follow in their footsteps and produce music reminiscent of their original explorations (without being copy-cat) or you have to lead a new musical exploration, forging new territories, creating compositions, sounds and styles that are hitherto unheard of.  Most of the new so-called prog bands fail to do either.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 13:40
Agalloch
Akinetón Retard
Ayreon
Beardfish
Bondage Fruit
Devin Townsend
Ensemble Nimbus
Ex Eye
Free Salamander Exhibit
French TV
Gorguts
Guapo
Jean Louis
Kayo Dot
Leprous
Major Parkinson
Maudlin of the Well
MediaBanda
Miasma & The Carousel of Headless Horses
Miriodor
miRthkon
Ne Obliviscaris
NeBeLNeST
One Shot
Opeth
Pain of Salvation
Panzerpappa
PoiL
Riverside
Secret Chiefs 3
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Ulver

The Shrubbery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shrubbery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 12:55

Actually, from my top 5, they are the only one that didn't start in the 70's. There are too many songs that I love from them, though I don't really think they did any full masterpiece albums, because they always include songs that don't really do it for me.
The album "The Final Breath before November" by Edison's Children is just sublime. So, if we want to give songs, it would be "Silhouette", which takes just about the whole album with all of it's segments.
Transatlantic with the album "The Whirwind". Once again, the whole album is supposed to be a single track, so it might just as well fit the criteria.
Perhaps Cast's song "El Puente".
Opeth's "The Drapery Falls". And that's what I can think of at the moment

Can't agree with you more Dellinger. Edison's Children's Final Breath Before November is the most hauntingly beautiful album ive ever listened to. It puts you in that haunting space that the beginning of Supper's Ready or Entangled does but leaves you there for nearly 80 minutes (except the single which is okay). The new Transatlantic album turned me off a bit. Too preachy. But Whirlwind was stunning. Both albums have something in common. Pete Trewavas wrote half of the Final Breath Before November and half the Whirlwind. Maybe Pete T is becoming one of the better songwriters/prog producers of this era. And with Marillion he arranges long songs like The Leavers and The Invisible Man and never gets credit for it. It is time he did

Edited by The Shrubbery - April 08 2018 at 13:02
The Shrubbery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shrubbery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 12:34
http://youtu.be/asCh_c-2g0U

Why isn't this being talked about? This is as good as anything as i've heard in years... 

Bjorn Riis - Stay Calm
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 15:35

Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

I just got that Weather Systems album, and I'm really enjoying it. The first I got from them was Distant Satellites, and I loved it... the whole albums was beautiful... that raw emotion thing indeed. Then I heard The Optimist in You Tube, but I was not sure I would love it as much, so I just downloaded a few songs from ITunes. And now I got Weather Systems, and it does sound better than the latest one... though I'm not yet ready to decide if I like it better than DS (yeah, I know that the correct answer would be that WS is the better one, but I guess having heard the other one first gives it an edge). Still, I expect their formula may become stale if I listen to too many albums... however, I guess I will have to get at least We are Here becaus We are Here. And then perhaps the live Untouchable.

My favorite by them is The Silent Enigma, from back when they were in doom genre. If you like harder hitting stuff, then I recommend that one most of all. Otherwise, yeah, Weather Systems.

I have read about their beginnings as a doom band or somthing like that, but I'm still very new to the band, and wondering how much I want to get into them. However, to know how much I might be interested in that era, were they using lots of growls? Were they very noisy or rather melodic?

Rather melodic, and they did growl, but I don't recall too much growling; at least, it did not interfere with the music. Very good band, and I don't think it's overrated either (as some people are hinting all around).
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>