Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Songs that make you believe modern prog is better
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs that make you believe modern prog is better

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote condor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Songs that make you believe modern prog is better
    Posted: January 11 2018 at 14:59

This and Spark in the Ether

And yes, I have changed my mind. I have no idea how long this feeling will last.

Edited by condor - January 11 2018 at 15:00
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 21:12
No, really I don't think modern prog is better. I do enjoy a lot of modern prog, and there are many great bands/albums/songs, but really I mostly think the 70's had something special that can't be easily recreated. Perhaps it was because many of the bands did their music without trying to do prog, but only wanting to do the music that they liked and loved, and now the idea of prog is very much in the mind of prog musicians, and the new ones try to do prog itself, and then they have to include the elements of prog just for the sake of making prog.
However, if I want to go along with the thread and mention the things (not just songs) that makes me think modern prog is better (I would rather say that it is worthy and just as great as the classic ones), it would be:
First, Dream Theater. OK, they are not so modern any more, but they are not from the original classic bands, and they are one of my very favourite bands. Actually, from my top 5, they are the only one that didn't start in the 70's. There are too many songs that I love from them, though I don't really think they did any full masterpiece albums, because they always include songs that don't really do it for me.
The album "The Final Breath before November" by Edison's Children is just sublime. So, if we want to give songs, it would be "Silhouette", which takes just about the whole album with all of it's segments.
Transatlantic with the album "The Whirwind". Once again, the whole album is supposed to be a single track, so it might just as well fit the criteria.
Perhaps Cast's song "El Puente".
Opeth's "The Drapery Falls". And that's what I can think of at the moment.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 23:17
I like Knifeworld and Opeth and some Finnish bands after seventies. That´s all to me from modern prog and I don´t think they´re better than 60-70 prog.

Don´t like Dream Theater at all.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatfabulousalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 23:22
Between The Buried And Me
Haken
Devin Townsend 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awaken77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 02:04
It depends from what you consider "modern".
There was a lot of good prog in 90thies. Is it modern or ancient?  

from modern bands who started after 2000x, I love Riverside, because they established their own style, and do not clone prog from 70thies 

Edited by awaken77 - January 12 2018 at 02:05
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 03:12
This thread is a loaded assertion/posit, IMHO.

I don't think modern prog vs classic prog should even be a thing. Era shouldn't matter. Real prog transcends the ages and is timeless. I have yet to hear anything that rivals the classic 70's stuff. I'm genuinely unimpressed by most modern bands because it sounds like they're trying to be prog instead of the style arising as a natural consequence of their passion for writing and playing.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 04:14
How do you define "Modern" and better than what?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 05:26
I think of modern prog as anything recorded after 1977...

If we are to class modern prog as prog rock produced by artists who emerged after the 1980's 'neo' period; so discounting Marillion, IQ et al, but including the likes of Spocks Beard, Echolyn, Dream Theater, Opeth, Haken, Porcupine Tree, Glass Hammer, and yes...even Big Big Train.. I can't think of a single song that makes believe modern prog is better overall than classic era prog rock.

Is that what you're asking?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote condor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 14:13
Prog after 2000
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 16:06
I haven't heard anything post 2000 that would make me remotely think modern prog is better than what came before.  Some very cool post-2000 albums here and there, but on the whole nowhere near the volume necessary to make that claim.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 17:22
Modern prog better??? I'd say there is excellent stuff either side of 1977. For me the saddest thing is that the newer bands are producing music that would have sold millions rather than thousands if released in the early 70s. Old prog is familiar to us, not least because when we bought an album, we listened to it and read the gatefold sleeve until they wore out! In today's environment of free downloads and a multitude of new bands out there, though sadly many merely 'cottage industry' ventures selling hundreds and who would never had got a major label contract despite their quality - making a living is damn tough!

What would Spock's Beard, IQ, Big Big Train have shifted if they released their music back then? Could 'Waste Away', 'June', 'Corners' and 'Make Some Noise' had made it on TOTPs or could an appearance on the OGWT had propelled their sales like it did for Focus etc. back then too??? We can only surmise!

Old prog, new prog - it's all great - and I can't think of a genre that still gives us so much choice. The gift that keeps giving!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 01:04
of Prog after 2000 there is only one band I really like, and that's The Red Masque, and I highly recommend them to all who like King Crimson, VdGG or Amon Düül 2. you can listen to their albums on their homepage:

http://www.theredmasque.com/

they are currently working on a new album which should be released soon. the working title is "Fathomless".

all other artists I know that started 2000 or later leave me rather cold. there have been great albums this century, but those were from the veterans

Edited by BaldJean - January 13 2018 at 01:28

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 12:43
Like many here, I haven't really found anything that convinces me that modern prog is better, but there are a few tunes that shows that modern bands can sometimes reach the heights of classic bands:

https://infinien.bandcamp.com/track/if-you-were-a-song

Edited by ForestFriend - January 13 2018 at 12:44
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mind_Drive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 16:15
For me its more about how a band makes me feel and not which band does the higher quality music.

That said, I prefer modern prog in most cases, because the dark and dense atmospheres of bands like Soen or Leprous bring me to other places where the fairytale prog of genesis just wont get me.

So the answer is no, they're equally good but modern prog connects more to me.. 

It's just a ride... <3
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 11:38
IQ's The Road Of Bones, but I am talking about the entire album, not the song.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 13:08
Not sure where this thread is leading...  Most of  the newer bands are quite talented and progressed the older sounds from the past.  It's quite good now,  as we seem to have a global interest in progressive music from various countries.  Smile  .....  One thing with prog music I like,  it's not just one track but the whole album I enjoy..  I cannot say that with mainstream bands that are popular.  1 or 2 tracks maybe,  but that's it..
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 14:04
There's a lot of great prog out there. The modern situation is similar to that of the classic period. Most of these bands are ahead of their time and it always requires non-musicians years or decades to understand what they accomplished. Bands like Cardiacs, metal acts like Meshuggah, bands like Poil and countless others are utterly unique. Some are popular but many remain woefully overlooked while most look to the past. Just the way it goes, i guess :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 14:54
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Cardiacs

Now Cardiacs is not all that modern is it? Still, a brilliant band in every way imaginable!
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 14:52
I don't think he is suggesting that modern prog is better , but just whether there are tracks that inspire you to explore modern bands output.
For me Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist would come into that category. You can argue it's not prog if you want. Also Tool - Lateralus , the entire album. Its compelling and very dark. Classic prog could be just a bit too nice and fantasy based. You get a bit more dirt and raw emotion occasionally with modern bands although I have to say that BBT as much as like them ( and I do a lot) would not come into this category! 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 14:56
..actually a better example than those I quoted is Anathema's Weather Systems album which ..um ..blew me away!!  It is that raw emotion thing again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>