Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Songs that make you believe modern prog is better
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs that make you believe modern prog is better

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 20:55
I just got that Weather Systems album, and I'm really enjoying it. The first I got from them was Distant Satellites, and I loved it... the whole albums was beautiful... that raw emotion thing indeed. Then I heard The Optimist in You Tube, but I was not sure I would love it as much, so I just downloaded a few songs from ITunes. And now I got Weather Systems, and it does sound better than the latest one... though I'm not yet ready to decide if I like it better than DS (yeah, I know that the correct answer would be that WS is the better one, but I guess having heard the other one first gives it an edge). Still, I expect their formula may become stale if I listen to too many albums... however, I guess I will have to get at least We are Here becaus We are Here. And then perhaps the live Untouchable.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 05:25
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I just got that Weather Systems album, and I'm really enjoying it. The first I got from them was Distant Satellites, and I loved it... the whole albums was beautiful... that raw emotion thing indeed. Then I heard The Optimist in You Tube, but I was not sure I would love it as much, so I just downloaded a few songs from ITunes. And now I got Weather Systems, and it does sound better than the latest one... though I'm not yet ready to decide if I like it better than DS (yeah, I know that the correct answer would be that WS is the better one, but I guess having heard the other one first gives it an edge). Still, I expect their formula may become stale if I listen to too many albums... however, I guess I will have to get at least We are Here becaus We are Here. And then perhaps the live Untouchable.

My favorite by them is The Silent Enigma, from back when they were in doom genre. If you like harder hitting stuff, then I recommend that one most of all. Otherwise, yeah, Weather Systems.
Good music isn't dead; it just isn't on radio.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock / Fusion / Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 09:38
IMO, modern prog may not be better, but there seems to be more of it--especially in the last fifteen years. To me, this is what makes 21st Century prog so exciting: all of the new, young minds latching on and exploring BOTH old and new sounds, themes, and styles. There is no arguing that the spirit if 1967-73 is large and perhaps inimitable, but this "new wave" of youth exploring progressive rock--trying to test and push boundaries--is a thing of beauty that deserves celebration (and economic support).

Favorite "modern" sources are perhaps the labels that support these new artists, including: 
AltrOck Productions/Fading Records, 
Cuneiform Records, 
K-Scope, 
Black Widow, 
R.A.I.G., 
MoonJune, as well as 
BANDCAMP.  
Drew Fisher,
Prog Is Alive and Well in the 21st Century,
Second Cloud on the Left Farm

La Farge, Wisconsin
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 11:04
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

Songs that make you believe modern prog is better
-doesn't really exist. But I still believe this is absolute perfection - and its a shame we don't seem to be getting any more from them:

I do believe my lasting favorites* among the 00-bands make just as great music as the classics. 

*that would probably be Guapo, Non Credo, Secret Chiefs 3...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 11:47
There is?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon (?) it." - Eno
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 21:17
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

My favorite by them is The Silent Enigma, from back when they were in doom genre. If you like harder hitting stuff, then I recommend that one most of all. Otherwise, yeah, Weather Systems.

I have read about their beginnings as a doom band or somthing like that, but I'm still very new to the band, and wondering how much I want to get into them. However, to know how much I might be interested in that era, were they using lots of growls? Were they very noisy or rather melodic?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic