Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEssential Dream Theater official bootlegs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Essential Dream Theater official bootlegs
    Posted: January 12 2018 at 07:31
For most people there is of course no essential Ytse Jam releases, but if you want to dig a little deeper, there's good stuff in there. I have identified four particularly interesting releases that I've hunted down:

New York City 3/4/93 - A decent sounding full show from the Images tour, includes rare tracks and a work in progress version of ACoS.

Tokyo, Japan 10/28/95 - Again a decent sounding full show from the Awake/ACoS era which ends the golden age of DT in my opinion. LaBrie in a generally fine condition despite his problems at the time.

Falling Into Infinity Demos 1996-1997 - Somewhat answers the great what-if of what if DT had more say on the production and material of FII, also includes the historically interesting early draft of Metropolis pt 2.

When Dream and Day Reunite - Finally a good sounding version of the debut, with LaBrie.

I'm also on the lookout for the Bucharest DVD from the Six Degrees tour since there's no official release from that tour, but that's it. 

Anybody think I'm missing something really important?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 22:20
I had overlooked those two early concerts, but they seem very promising, specially the Tokyo one, so I might want to try and check them out. I haven't logged into that page for buying the official bootlegs... I don't even know if it is still working since Portnoy left the band, so I don't know if I would still remember how to log in (username and password) and if I would still be active. The few things I got there include The Falling into Infinity Demos, which I did like a lot. The very best songs from the original album I still think are better on their final form, but there are several songs that indeed were ruined, or totally overlooked, on the final product. You or Me is great, despite never liking You not Me, as well as Burning my Soul being much better, and including Hells Kitchen as a middle instrumental section helps both songs to be more enjoyable to me. There's a few "new" songs that I do like, but I don't really understand why the producers wouldn't keep "Speak to me", I would think it might actually have worked as a single or for promoting for radio airplay. As for the Metropolis early draft, it's interesting, but not really that enjoyable... however, since DT seem to love doing medleys (which I generally dislike a lot), they might have used this draft for creating a Medley of that album on later tours (I might actually have ended up liking such a Medley). When Day and Dream Re-unite was actually rather underwhelming for me. I did expect more of it, and of LaBrie singing it (since I always thought Dominici was an even worse singer), but somehow LaBrie didn't really deliver nicely enough on that concert. And I really miss Kevin Moore on keyboards, and that 80's sound of the synths. On the other hand, the songs do sound heavier and the band more mature, so it's take some things and leave others. And about the Bucharest DVD, I had actually intended on buying it, but never came around to do it, so I might consider it once again. As for other essential official bootlegs... well, I don't know about essential, but I did get the covers live albums they did, and I did enjoy them well enough. There was the Dark Side of the Moon one, the Master of Puppets one (I guess the one I liked the least... since I don't actually like the original so much either, and I don't think the band delivered it the best way possible), the Number of the Beast one, the Made in Japan one, and the uncovered 2003-2005 collection of covers.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 13:30
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I had overlooked those two early concerts, but they seem very promising, specially the Tokyo one, so I might want to try and check them out. I haven't logged into that page for buying the official bootlegs... I don't even know if it is still working since Portnoy left the band, so I don't know if I would still remember how to log in (username and password) and if I would still be active.

I did some googling on this a year or three back, and people said that the site seems to be sort of functioning, but it's slow getting anything from there. I haven't dared to try, so I've gotten two of mine from Discogs recently. I've wishlisted the ones I want, and when a good deal comes in I grab it. 

I think I'll get at least Uncovered 2003-2005 to go with these listed above, there's a really good song list there and I usually enjoy the Uncovered stuff they do.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 13:33
For me, their best official bootleg is the demos for the Falling into Infinity. As worthy as the album itself. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 15:21
whooo hooo...  putting those on my must buy list haha.  Thanks for the heads up Pekka. I'm not sure what I would have done if those albums had passed me by. One hears so little about DT on the forum these days.. just whispers from the AR graveyard where we buried most of the corpses...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 15:32
^ Micky, you don't have to be sarcastic every time someone mentions DT here on PA. Everyone already knows how much you dislike this band...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 15:39
yeah.. perhaps I don't have to be so sarcastic.. but I am the admin appointed forum guardian against the comeback of DT and their acne scarred, prepubescent fans onto this hollowed site haha

But do I really dislike the band?  Really.... well perhaps...yeah there is a reason my DT review was voted #2 greatest ever on the site. Oh the sh*t storm that thing unleashed when I dropped it on the forum haha

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 15:44
Cristi is right of course. Sorry Pekka...  seeing a DT thread is like a red dress and heels to me. Takes willpower to avoid.. something I have very little of I'm afraid.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 16:01
LOL

Post Reply Post Reply