Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2018 Album Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zugzwang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2018 Album Discussion
    Posted: January 13 2018 at 10:23
I found the 2017 thread to be a valuable resource for discovering new music last year, so I'm starting one for 2018. This is a thread to discuss and recommend (and speculate about) albums released in 2018.

Here are a few I know of:
Rabbit Rabbit Radio (Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi, featuring Jeremy Flower and Jon Evans) - Black Inscription (Release: January 11th). A song cycle about the oceans, inspired by the death of Russian free diver Natalia Molchanova. Anyone familiar with Carla & Matthias should know to expect quality music. I'd give individual song recommendations, but the whole album is excellent and should be listened to from start to finish (If you're looking for a sample, I'd go with the title track).

Gleb Kolyadin (iamthemorning's pianist) - Gleb Kolyadin (Release: February 23rd). Featuring Gavin Harrison and Nick Beggs as the rhythm section. I love Gleb's work with iamthemorning and look forward to hearing what he does with mostly instrumental music.

Jack o' the Clock - Repetitions of the Old City II (Release: TBD). Repetitions I was one of my 2016 favorites, so I'm optimistic about Repetitions II. The band – which now features saxophonist Ivor Holloway and singer Thea Kelley – expects the album to be ready in "early 2018."
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 11:13
I'm looking forward to new ones from

Alec K Redfearn and the Eyesores
Sonar with David Torn
Forgas Band Phenomena
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 11:45
No idea if it's on the slate, but new music from Zombi would be awesome.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 12:26
Looking forward to new albums from 3rdegree and Therion (3 1/2 hour full-blown Opera)....
Phideaux is remastering Infernal.  Insert joke____!

Italians Logos and Egonon will release albums.   

Moon Safari has a new album in the pipeline. 
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 22:03
I know that Bubu is in the process of recording their second full-length studio album. Hopefully this year they'll finish it up.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Doggy Bag View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doggy Bag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 09:16
Not sure if this qualifies, even though it just came out a few weeks ago.  Definitely progressive, though!

The Verboden Boys - full-on experimental grindcore / DIY electronics / synthetic chaos.

https://doggingbag.bandcamp.com/album/band-from-reality-the-complete-demos
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 21:59
While somewhat underwhelming with respect to the progressive part of progressive rock, Subsignal consistently deliver polished, moody, personal, and melodic albums in the progressive rock world. So I'm looking forward to La Muerta quite a bit. (I'm hoping for some Latin influences since the title is in Spanish, and the ostensible theme would benefit from having them.)

Another release I'm anticipating is from Yuka & Chronoship. Their last album is a sonic adventure full of great keys. I recommend listening to The 3rd Planetary Chronicles if any of you haven't already.

Moon Safari said they're going to release Himlabacken Vol. 2 this year; so there's that.

Originally posted by Zugzwang Zugzwang wrote:

Jack o' the Clock - Repetitions of the Old City II (Release: TBD). Repetitions I was one of my 2016 favorites, so I'm optimistic about Repetitions II. The band – which now features saxophonist Ivor Holloway and singer Thea Kelley – expects the album to be ready in "early 2018."

Yes! The first RotOC was a very good step forward for the band. Can't wait!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 13:57
Well here's a surprise - live album from Aquaserge dropping 27th April:

And it's with the horn section, too. Gotta have this for sure.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 08:34
So, a new Pryapisme album is with us:

Their influence from video game tunes has always been apparent, but now they have gone the whole distance and done the soundtrack for an actual video game.  Just listening now, and it's quite fun - though so far, no real departure from their previous work.

Here's a trailer for the game:

Bandcamp Profile
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 19:39
^The idea of their music in an actual video game is pretty exciting. Might have to buy a ps4 just to experience it first hand
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 08:16
Moon Safari, Bubu, Logos, Yuka & Chronoship? All set to release albums this year? Nice!!!

Also there is still a good chance that a new one from the Neal Morse Band will arrive in 2018. And, perhaps, even Anderson/Stolt 2 could see the light of day!

And Phideaux? I'll hold my breath.

So far, Fernando Perdomo's Out To Sea has been on non-stop rotation around these parts. My favorite of 2018 so far.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 16:50
I done got me the new PiNioL album, Bran Coucou. It's a total blast!

Edited by Mascodagama - April 25 2018 at 16:50
Bandcamp Profile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 17:56
Apparently Tool are finally going to release a new album this year so that's good news for Tool fans and I imagine there are at least a few of you on here.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 19:56
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

One listen in and its an album of the year candidate, its a monster.
Ian

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 13:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Apparently Tool are finally going to release a new album this year so that's good news for Tool fans and I imagine there are at least a few of you on here.

I"ll believe it when I see it. :p 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 13:37
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

It's certainly made a bigger impression on me than anything else I've got from this year.

Also, the new Aquaserge live album dropped through my letterbox this morning. Been a good couple of days for new music!

Edited by Mascodagama - April 26 2018 at 13:41
Bandcamp Profile
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 13:42
I'll be downloading the Aquaserge from bandcamp tomorrow when its released.
Ian

RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 13:59
I've only got one 2018 album so far, Kino's Radio Voltaire. But it's an absolute belter! Chock full of earworms!
Zugzwang View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zugzwang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 23:48

I need to listen to this one some more but it made one hell of a first impression.

The new Jack o' the Clock finally got announced, releasing June 1st. Also a new Cheer-Accident on May 25th.

Edited by Zugzwang - May 02 2018 at 23:49
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2018 at 17:46
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Just bought it. Going to be a tough one to knock off the top of my AOTY. I was sceptical at first. Poil just does so much on their own as a trio. But then I heard Ni for the first time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>