Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2018 Album Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavydrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 03:06
i have to say that 2018 has been pretty disappointing for me so far.
the only album that really blew me away is the armed's "only love", one of the most sublimely arranged albums i've heard in the last 10 years but i suppose you have to be on the really really really heavy side of music to like it.
i gave the new spock's beard a listen but didn't manage to get to the end; i liked the new mind over mirrors album, "bellowing sun", a synth-kraut-math-something with the participation of john mcentire from tortoise.
for those who like the singer-songwriter stuff, ryley walker has made a really cool album called "deafman glance", with lots of references to tim buckley, nick drake but also talk talk and more modern sounds.
last, a weird album called "instrumentalmusik von der mitte der world" by wolf müller and niklas wandt, some kind of ethno-kraut-psych thingy which came out very fun and entertaining.
i refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 03:13
Tesseract
God Is an Astronaut
Barren Earth

Subsignal has just released their new album, looking forward to listening to it. 
Also Arena, Anubis and Spock's Beard. 
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 04:21
^Tesseract sounded interesting, same with Arena, which looks like a return to the past.

Spock's Beard is treading on safe grounds and the same applies to Subsignal (poppier than previous albums, decent songwriting)
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 05:31
New Jack O The Clock up on bandcamp today

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 10:24
Listening to the new Lady With - The Lodge. Ambient fusion quasi-soundtrack. Already has a solid top10 spot for the year. Good stuff.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 04:46
2018 faves up until now:

Calibro 35 - Decade (jazz funk)
Nat Birchall - Sacred Dimension (spiritual jazz)
PiNioL - Bran Coucou (Brain kukuk)
Homunculus Res - Another insanely long Italian title like they tend to favour (Canterbury)
Thy Catafalque - Geometria (prog/metal/electronic/symph/folk)
Khruangbin - Con Todo El Mundo (wafting soft paych rock)
Elephant9 - Greatest Show On Earth (Jazz rock on steroids)
Ryley Walker - Deafman Glance (Tim Buckley meets Eddie Vedder)
Mildlife - Phase (Kitsch Funk Prog verging on disco)
A.A.L. - 2012-2018 (Electronic)
VA - We Out Here (jazz comp)
U.S. Girls - In A Poem Unlimited (Neopsychedelia light)
Mother Turtle - Zea Mice (Pork)
MGMT - Little Dark Age (Electronic Art Pop)
Fire! - The Hands (jazz?)
John Maus - Addendum (strange pop)
Loma - s/t (dream pop with slight psych twist)

More to come. I've just received quite the 2018 batch.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 09:49
I have just discovered the existence of this:

John Zorn - The Book Beriah Box Set

In two minds about it really. Some of these are bound to be great. It's not clear if the individual CDs will be available separately later. I'd have to assume so as I couldn't see Zorn wanting a significant block in one of the main structures of his life's work to be available only ephemerally. But I can see why no statement would be made on that whilst they are trying to sell the box set.

Edited by Mascodagama - June 13 2018 at 09:52
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 23:32
This one will definitely make the list .
Gianthogweed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gianthogweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 00:42
I just released my concept album, Drakus.  It's about a dragon that destroys a village every century.  It's spanish guitar driven with some Trumpet throughout.

I have a kickstarter campaign for the vinyl and cd release if you like it and want to help it get off the ground.

Edited by Gianthogweed - June 16 2018 at 00:43
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 01:20
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

In two minds about it really. Some of these are bound to be great. It's not clear if the individual CDs will be available separately later. I'd have to assume so as I couldn't see Zorn wanting a significant block in one of the main structures of his life's work to be available only ephemerally. But I can see why no statement would be made on that whilst they are trying to sell the box set.

because I'm a junkie, I couldn't take the risk and preordered it... 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 03:13
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

because I'm a junkie, I couldn't take the risk and preordered it... 
To be honest the only thing that has stopped me doing the same (so far) is the thought of the shipping and duty for UK delivery

Edited by Mascodagama - June 16 2018 at 03:13
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 20:46
The new Alec K Redfearn & The Eyesores - The Opposite is outstanding going to be in my top 5 at year end, as good as Sister Death.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234