FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMicro library

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Micro library
    Posted: January 14 2018 at 16:09
Name all your CDs if you have 5 or less.

Porcupine Tree - Coma Divine
King Crimson - Power to Believe
God is an Astronaut - Origins
Genesis - Nursery Chryme
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 16:39
That's a nano CD library!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 16:50
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

That's a nano CD library!

Blame youtube.
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 22:20
Other than Vinyl, I could make a strong argument against possessing physical or digital copies of music. Especially as hifi streaming service libraries get larger, and subscriptions get cheaper.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 04:36
I thknk I have around 1500 CD's and around 500 vinyl albums..

It would be easier for me to list my ITunes/Spotify library contents, but I can't be bothered.

I still like owning physical copies of albums, but I have a space issue in my apartment, so Spotify is becoming my medium for playing music, although I tend to only save albums to my library that I have already purchased on vinyl/CD. If I'm trying an artist out for the first time I always still buy the CD.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 09:19
Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

Other than Vinyl, I could make a strong argument against possessing physical or digital copies of music. Especially as hifi streaming service libraries get larger, and subscriptions get cheaper.

Personally, I wouldn't accept anything less than having a song/album on my computer in a standard audio format. I'd rather not use up mobile data when I'm listening to music on the go, I don't want to be at the whim of artists who decide not to be on a certain streaming service, and I want to be able to open the song in a DAW and be able to easily manipulate it in case I want to learn how to play it.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 09:40
I'm not sure what your asking for, but, if you're fishing for, say, a desert island five CDs, I could put together a list for you.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 02:37
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't accept anything less than having a song/album on my computer in a standard audio format. I'd rather not use up mobile data when I'm listening to music on the go, I don't want to be at the whim of artists who decide not to be on a certain streaming service, and I want to be able to open the song in a DAW and be able to easily manipulate it in case I want to learn how to play it.

I didn't say an air tight case, just a strong one. It's kind of one of those trade off things. Music on the go, you are limited to the size of your mp3 player. Hard to beat the price of ~120$/year for the amount of music you have access too with streaming services. Hard to imagine an annual budget of only 120$ to purchase albums. Data could be an issue, but my plan is unlimited, plus if you're not in your car or the middle of the desert wifi should be available. If you would like to be able to learn a song, most services allow you to buy the single song. I've been using the google music experience and have only come across a couple of albums they do not have. (Fripp in particular). Hifi streaming services offer quality audio, as well as the ability to download music for offline listening.

The position of "I wouldn't accept anything less than having a song/album on my computer..." is pretty limited in my opinion. Either way you prefer to listen to music, be it having the digital copy or streaming, I believe both could compliment/supplement each other very well. I own a lot of albums, I also stream a lot of music; I like having my cake and eating it too. If I had to choose between the two, well then I think streaming edges out ownership. 10$ for one album I may or may not like as oppose to a month of service where my choices aren't so limited is very appealing to my cheap ass.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 05:37
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I'm not sure what your asking for, but, if you're fishing for, say, a desert island five CDs, I could put together a list for you.

He is asking for people with 5 or less than 5 cds in their libraries to list them in this thread
I must've been 8 or 9 back when I had 5 cds in my collection. Queen - Grestest Hits, Michael Jackson - Bad, Scorpions - Last Sting, Monrad & Rislund - Greatest Hits and Floyd's The Wall.

I don't trust the streaming services to financially support the bands I like. Mostly because they don't....and I am one of those old fashioned music fans that actually get a kick out of supporting artists. That way they may even end up making yet another album.
Also very few streaming sites offer up good quality compared to an actual cd or even a flac download.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 16:21
At one time I was convinced I would be happy with just

ELP - Emerson , Lake and Palmer
ELP - Tarkus
ELP - Trilogy
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery

but that was a long time ago!
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 17:21
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I don't trust the streaming services to financially support the bands I like. Mostly because they don't....and I am one of those old fashioned music fans that actually get a kick out of supporting artists. That way they may even end up making yet another album.
Also very few streaming sites offer up good quality compared to an actual cd or even a flac download.

If you like the majority of your money to go to the artists the best way to do that is to go see them live when they tour. The money you save from streaming services you could buy tickets to their show and buy merchandise. As for quality of streams, there are hifi streaming services that offer FLAC quality audio. In my earlier post I mentioned that both buying albums and having a streaming service compliment each other very well. Sticking with only one method is very limiting. Also if you think of "support" only in terms of monetary compensations then you are probably correct. But what streaming services do provide is a platform to get their music to a lot of listeners, a form of promotion if you will. There are a good amount of people who wouldn't "risk" buying an album because they don't know if they would like it or not. With streaming services you have the ability to listen to their output, and if you really do enjoy them you could purchase their albums. I have done this on many occasions. A.C.T would be my most recent example of this. I saw the reviews on this site were very positive, so I checked them out. I really enjoyed their music so I bought a CD for my friend who I thought would enjoy them (he did and subsequently bought more of their albums), and I myself bought their live DVD they released this last year. Maybe it's a generation kind of thing, as you admit you are "...one of those old fashioned music fans", but it seems to me that if streaming services were available when you were young we wouldn't be having this conversation. Times are a changing, and if you want to stay in the past then that is no sweat of my back. But I love music, and I don't have a huge entertainment budget, so I am going to do whatever gives me the best price to volume ratio, and for me that includes both schools of thought, not just one or the other.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 19:59
Jethro Tull - Under Wraps (4 cd deluxe)
 Post Reply Post Reply