Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAn Interesting Genesis Observation...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Interesting Genesis Observation...
    Posted: January 15 2018 at 03:36
TL;DR: Genesis "locked in their classic sound" with the track Fountain of Salmacis.

So since I'm on a Genesis kick as of late, I noticed something when listening to Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by The Pound, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway:

As much as I enjoy Trespass and Nursery Cryme, I can literally "feel" Genesis "getting their sound" once Fountain of Salmacis begins. 

It's almost like they all woke up and everything clicked. This would be their style moving forward, and further expanded upon and exemplified on Foxtrot , SEBT, TLLDOB. Of course tracks like Musical Box and The Knife are Genesis staples, but let's be honest here: a lot of their attempts at epic prog didn't really click until Foxtrot. They were an above average band but nothing that could touch what would come on SEBT etc. I'd assert it started right at Fountain of Salmacis, the final track on Nursery Cryme.

When viewed chronologically, Genesis released a new record every October/November from 1970-1974. It's like walking down a hallway of paintings. The transition zone from early to classic Gabriel-era Genesis starts with Fountain of Salmacis for me.

Thoughts?

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - January 15 2018 at 03:37

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 03:48
I think you´re right. Except I think also "Seven Stones" has also that same "true Genesis sound" as "Salmacis". To me Nursery is anyway their absolutely masterpiece among Foxtrot, Selling and Lamb, although it mostly has that "pre-Genesis" feeling.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 03:55
"Seven Stones" is another one that stands out immediately, honestly. That and Salmacis are my two faves from Nursery Cryme.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 03:58
I think it started with Stagnation, but then I know nuttin’
Salmacis is insanely brilliant though!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 11:28
Yeah. It sounds like someone flipped the Genesis "ON" switch once Salmacis intro hits!

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 12:09
Salmacis has always been my fave Genesis track.  It's got everything I could want out of a Genesis song...tons of tron and organ, dark fantasy lyrics, adventurous drumming, a fantastic bass sound, a dramatic PG vocal and a Hackett masterpiece of an ending solo...not a wild improvisation, but that structured highly melodic approach he was so good at...prog perfection Heart
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 12:43
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Salmacis has always been my fave Genesis track.  It's got everything I could want out of a Genesis song...tons of tron and organ, dark fantasy lyrics, adventurous drumming, a fantastic bass sound, a dramatic PG vocal and a Hackett masterpiece of an ending solo...not a wild improvisation, but that structured highly melodic approach he was so good at...prog perfection Heart

The very first time I heard the track years ago, it struck me. Instantly resonated. The atmosphere is perfect!

jorgenyesis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 17:19
I respect your opinion, but I think that the theme that generates the birth of the true personality of Genesis is its theme "Musical Box", which then in its later work, Foxtrot, gives rise to its most wonderful creation "Suppers Ready", the highest point in the history of for me, the greatest group of all time ...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 17:25
Originally posted by jorgenyesis jorgenyesis wrote:

I respect your opinion, but I think that the theme that generates the birth of the true personality of Genesis is its theme "Musical Box", which then in its later work, Foxtrot, gives rise to its most wonderful creation "Suppers Ready", the highest point in the history of for me, the greatest group of all time ...

For me personally, Nursery Cryme DID set up the themes, feels, and mastery we all know and love from Genesis. The only thing is I feel like OVERALL that album has weaker points, despite containing Musical Box. Foxtrot is absolutely perfect. Even though SEBTP is my favorite Gabriel Genesis record, Foxtrot is overall more perfect (More Fool Me tarnishes SEBTP IMHO). Supper's Ready has grown on me immensely since studying the track closely via repeated listens.

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 17:42
Interesting observation. It's been a really long time since I listened to Nursery Cryme but I always thought it was a great album. All those albums are and seem to me like a ladder going up from Trespass up through about the first half of The Lamb.. climbing ever steadily higher and higher.. 

The masterpiece though, undoubtedly is Selling England by the Pound. And no, More Fool Me does not tarnish the album at all imo. I don't think it's a 'bad' song, and anyway it's short so.. No issues for me. 

Btw I tried to change my username to what you suggested.. GeneYes, but it wouldn't let me. I like it better because it's a little more clear that it's BOTH bands. Oh well. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 17:45
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Interesting observation. It's been a really long time since I listened to Nursery Cryme but I always thought it was a great album. All those albums are and seem to me like a ladder going up from Trespass up through about the first half of The Lamb.. climbing ever steadily higher and higher.. 

The masterpiece though, undoubtedly is Selling England by the Pound. And no, More Fool Me does not tarnish the album at all imo. I don't think it's a 'bad' song, and anyway it's short so.. No issues for me. 

Btw I tried to change my username to what you suggested.. GeneYes, but it wouldn't let me. I like it better because it's a little more clear that it's BOTH bands. Oh well. 

The thing for me is More Fool Me isn't a bad song at all; just relative to the rest of the grand slam material on SEBTP, it doesn't pull it's weight is all for me.

I completely agree with your Trespass - Lamb analogy. Lamb is actually my second favorite after SEBTP. I enjoy the whole record.

Too bad about the username! Maybe a mod/admin can hook you up?

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 17:56
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

The thing for me is More Fool Me isn't a bad song at all; just relative to the rest of the grand slam material on SEBTP, it doesn't pull it's weight is all for me.

I completely agree with your Trespass - Lamb analogy. Lamb is actually my second favorite after SEBTP. I enjoy the whole record.

Too bad about the username! Maybe a mod/admin can hook you up?

I like the whole record too, but the first half is a little more MASSIVE imo. And yeah I can try to ask one of them. Back when I was going through my Saga obsession on here I tried to change my name to Saga123(or something like that), but it wouldn't let me do that either lol. I might have to just quit and start a new account at some point, we'll see. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 03:24
I'm inclined to agree with the OP too.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 11:34
An interesting thread, FZ. I've always found Fountain of Salmacis a great, and often underrated, track - although still a notch behind The Musical Box. However, I'm of the view that the progress of the band was 'evolutionary' rather than 'revolutionary' and while Salmacis definitely broadens out some of the Genesis 'sound' - I don't think it provided the 'eureka' moment that charted the scope of the albums that followed Nursery Cryme by itself.

I think the progress is remarkably linear in many ways. Trespass was a natural precursor to Nursery Cryme - broadening out the pastoral tones (The Knife was always rather atypical - albeit a great track - compared to classics like Stagnation). Foxtrot consolidated on Nursery Cryme - with the whole album more consistent and with the mould-breaking Supper's Ready to boot. Selling England by the Pound introduced a more modern edge to the instrumentation while still retaining that core sound - while The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway polished up that glossier edge (best typified by The Battle of Eping Forest's instrumentation) while once again keeping that wistful, warmth at times and echoing the earlier albums.

Trespass introduced the 'sound' and I agree that Nursery Cryme evolved it sufficiently to subsequently get to the next two, almost perfect, albums. Salmacis was a key ingredient - but I personally give the credit to the whole Nursery Cryme album - even with its diversity of pace and style - rather than point to one, albeit classic, track.

Edited by Squonk19 - January 16 2018 at 11:37
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 12:03
"Wrong!" - the late, great John McLaughlin
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 13:56
The themes of both the fountain of Salmacis and the Musical box had their genesis (no pun intended) in what the band called 'The Movement' which they worked up in the cottage in Surrey during 1969 and that became the basis of the 4 piece suite recorded as a soundtrack to a proposed BBC film on the work of the artist Michael Jackson. This was all before Trespass so really the classic Genesis sound was already there back in 1969.

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 14:00
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

"Wrong!" - the late, great John McLaughlin

Late??? I don't think so; I certainly hope not!Wink

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 18:00
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

The themes of both the fountain of Salmacis and the Musical box had their genesis (no pun intended) in what the band called 'The Movement' which they worked up in the cottage in Surrey during 1969 and that became the basis of the 4 piece suite recorded as a soundtrack to a proposed BBC film on the work of the artist Michael Jackson. This was all before Trespass so really the classic Genesis sound was already there back in 1969.

Why does that not surprise me. Great info btw. 
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 21:02
I can't agree with the above comments. If that were true they would be playing songs off their first album in their live concerts. They were basically novice songwriters learning the game when they recorded their first album and only came of age with the Trespass album. Since they often performed "The Knife" in their live performances, I would take issue with the premise that Salmacis locked in their classic sound (whatever that means).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 01:57
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I can't agree with the above comments. If that were true they would be playing songs off their first album in their live concerts. They were basically novice songwriters learning the game when they recorded their first album and only came of age with the Trespass album. Since they often performed "The Knife" in their live performances, I would take issue with the premise that Salmacis locked in their classic sound (whatever that means).

My point is "The Knife" and "The Musical Box" and especially "Harold The Barrel" and "Return of The Giant Hogweed" don't quite have the same magic we get (IMHO) once Selling England by The Pound comes around. Yes, they were clearly honing their craft (and still WAY ahead of the pack on Nursery Cryme, don't get me wrong). It's just that it feels like Salmacis someone hit a "Yup here's Genesis!" switch for me.

Foxtrot comes along and is absolutely perfect. Supper's Ready is arguably their finest track. SEBTP rolls around and every single song they've got it together. The "they've got it together" sound for me personally starts at Salmacis, goes through Foxtrot, Selling England by The Pound, and Lamb, then drops off a bit before picking back up when they find their sound without Gabriel. Everything before that was incredibly ambitious, albeit a bit lackluster compared to what was around the corner.

Just an opinion from someone who absolutely loves this band! To each their own.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - January 18 2018 at 01:58

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>