Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarillion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marillion
    Posted: January 15 2018 at 16:06
De los grupos de los años 70, es dificil seleccionar uno en especial, todos son grandes, en mi eleccion, genesis, yes y emerson like and palmer son mis preferidos. Pero creo que si busco un grupo sinfonico de los 80, nada se le compara a Marillion, creo que Marillion fue el ultimo gran grupo del rock sinfonico, con su maravillosa trilogia, creo incluso supero a los mejores de los 70...

jorgenyesis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 16:13
Of the groups of the 70s, it is difficult to select one in particular, all are great, in my choice, genesis, yes and emerson like and palmer are my favorites. But I think if I look for a symphonic group from the 80s, nothing compares to Marillion, I think Marillion was the last great symphonic rock group, with its wonderful trilogy, I think I even beat the best of the 70s ...

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 16:14
Of the groups of the 70s, it is difficult to select one in particular, all are great, in my choice, genesis, yes and emerson like and palmer are my favorites. But I think if I look for a symphonic group from the 80s, nothing compares to Marillion, I think Marillion was the last great symphonic rock group, with its wonderful trilogy, I think I even beat the best of the 70s ...
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 17:34
While I agree Marillion were indeed top tier 80's symphonic prog, saying they beat out the 70's giants is a bit of a stretch for me personally.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 18:13
He's talking of the 80's...not including the 70's. 

Estoy de acuerdo jorgenyesis, para mi Marillion son maravilloso. Todo lo que ellos hacen es excellente, la musica y letras de canciones (lyrics). Hoy son unos de mis cinco favoritos....

slds
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 18:49
Catcher10, Me alegra saber que este Marillion entre tus preferencias, disculpa mi curiosidad, cuales son tus 5 grupos predilectos?... Un abrazo!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 20:44
I do love Marillion too, specially Script and Misplaced. And I do believe at least those two are at the same level of brilliance as the great ones of the 70's.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 03:39
They never topped Script IMO. I would say Script is up there with some pof the best 70's efforts, but beyond that I think their music was fairly unremarkable.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 04:06
I give Marillion kudos for carrying the torch, but credit must also go to groups other groups like Twelfth Night, IQ and Pallas.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 04:17
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I give Marillion kudos for carrying the torch, but credit must also go to groups other groups like Twelfth Night, IQ and Pallas.

I certainly prefer IQ, and I enjoyed The Sentinal by Pallas when it came out. Sounds pretty weak now though.

Marillion were the industry 'approved' prog rock band for the 80's. It Bites tried to muscle in through the back door, by being pretty and having a pop sound, but as soon as the industry realised they were steller musicians who were really a prog rock band they were promptly shut down!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 07:11
To be honest, the only band of that era that really impressed me was Solstice and their debut album "Silent Dance" with first vocalist Sandy Leigh, who sounded remarkably like a female Jon Anderson. They were a talented bunch who had very little ambition. A pity as they could have been awesome had the original line up stayed together.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 08:57
Although I am much more into 8O's RIO/Avant Prog leaning music than symphonic styled music of the period, I think there were some other good albums coming out that should appeal to Symph fans such as Mr. Sirius, Itoiz, Los Jaivas, Lethe, Wurtemberg, Tako, Solaris, plus the Enid were still putting out strong albums. I'd include Bacamarte, but that album was made earlier.

By the way, Marillion fans might want to check out this epic thread: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59855

Edited by Logan - January 17 2018 at 09:03
Just a fanboy passin' through.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 10:59

^ Agree 100%. But as this looked like a vanilla prog topic, I simply went with vanilla bands.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 12:48
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Although I am much more into 8O's RIO/Avant Prog leaning music than symphonic styled music of the period, I think there were some other good albums coming out that should appeal to Symph fans such as Mr. Sirius, Itoiz, Los Jaivas, Lethe, Wurtemberg, Tako, Solaris, plus the Enid were still putting out strong albums. I'd include Bacamarte, but that album was made earlier.

By the way, Marillion fans might want to check out this epic thread: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59855

Nobody posts there anymore......
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 13:17
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Nobody posts there anymore......

If you post they will come.... Well, maybe. Much like a Norwegian Blue parrot nailed to its perch, it may just be resting. Could try thumping that thread on its head to see if it wakes up, but you might end up just stunning it.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 13:21
For some strange reason, I like listening to Marillion, writing reviews about Marillion albums, but not talking about them. Wtf? Confused

Edited by SteveG - January 17 2018 at 13:22
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 14:17
Probablement parce que nous apprécions parler de musique progressive et que celle de Marillion ne l'est tout simplement pas.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 15:22
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

To be honest, the only band of that era that really impressed me was Solstice and their debut album "Silent Dance" with first vocalist Sandy Leigh, who sounded remarkably like a female Jon Anderson. They were a talented bunch who had very little ambition. A pity as they could have been awesome had the original line up stayed together.

Solstice were greatClap, I saw them a few times when they first released 'Silent dance'.. One time at Stonehenge festival. I think the lp was produced by Nigel Mazlyn Jones who recorded a few interesting lps of his own..

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 15:27
^ I would have loved to have seen that one! Smile Stonehenge! How apropos!

Edited by SteveG - January 17 2018 at 15:29
 Post Reply Post Reply