Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Caravan vs Saga
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCaravan vs Saga

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: So yeah
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [77.08%]
11 [22.92%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 09 2006
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 4574
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 08:22
Saga.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Back to Top
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 13 2005
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 4258
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 08:29
I like some Saga

but Caravan gets my vote by quite a margin
Prog On!
Back to Top
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avatar
Site Admin

Joined: April 05 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: Offline
Points: 22718
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 08:33
I quite like some Saga, so glad to see that that "you're not alone" in appreciation.

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Well I happen to dig quite a number of synthpop artists, but Saga leaves me completely cold.

Synthpop can be brilliant. Gary Numan and Cocteau Twins instantly pops to mind.


Agree re; Gary Numan, Cocteau Twins etc..Excellent stuff, and far better than Saga from what I can remember. Saga were all mullet haircuts, and one foot on the monitor from what I can remember. A poor mans 80's Rush. Am I remembering correctly?


Count me in on enjoying synthpop -- love synthpop Kraftwerk and Gary Numan/ Tubeway Army (Replicas was one of my first music loves) especially.

Anyway, Caravan very easily for me. I don't normally count it as one of my favourites in Canterbury Scene, although In the Land of Grey and Pink was the first Canterbury Scene album I bought, but it does have some very good albums. And I shan't forget how much "Nine Feet Underground" blew me away when I first heard it.

Edited by Logan - January 17 2018 at 08:37
"The first step on the path to wisdom is the recognition of one's own ignorance" (paraphrased from Plato).
Back to Top
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 01 2004
Location: CA
Status: Offline
Points: 8983
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 15:08
Another vote for Saga.
Back to Top
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 09 2010
Location: West Country,UK
Status: Offline
Points: 2112
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 15:50
Caravan are VERY much my cup of tea! Saga is not.
“It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.”
― George Orwell
Back to Top
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: June 14 2007
Location: Near York UK
Status: Offline
Points: 5434
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 16:34
I like Saga, but Caravan are just better.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Back to Top
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 26 2017
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Points: 2149
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 17:26
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I quite like some Saga, so glad to see that that "you're not alone" in appreciation.

Haha yep. I like that album btw, possibly my second favorite by them after the MONSTER Silent Knight. Good to see you back here man. I've been getting into Focus a bit lately. I like their third album a lot. 
Back to Top
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 26 2017
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Points: 2149
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 17:29
Well I see a couple people here willing to admit they prefer Saga. And for those questioning whether or not they're "fully prog" I found this.. 

Back to Top
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 03 2010
Location: NE PA
Status: Offline
Points: 3539
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 18:05
Going with Caravan . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Back to Top
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 22 2010
Location: Indiana
Status: Offline
Points: 17344
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 20:12
Caravan for sure.....one of my favorite groups.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Back to Top
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: March 02 2007
Location: Romania
Status: Offline
Points: 4258
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 04:36
Saga for me all the way
Back to Top
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin

Joined: January 22 2009
Location: Magic Theatre
Status: Offline
Points: 22264
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 04:47
Damn this is almost painful to watch...and I don't even like Saga.
Then again I think we all have a similar poll in us where our fave underdog will lose big time.
I imagine me doing one with Amon Düül ll vs Yes ending up similarly ie my fave gets completely annihilated.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Back to Top
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP member

Joined: August 29 2011
Location: Troy
Status: Offline
Points: 7238
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 06:44
I'll jump into the Caravan
Back to Top
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 01 2004
Location: CA
Status: Offline
Points: 8983
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 12:02
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Well I see a couple people here willing to admit they prefer Saga.

Your Honor...we will take that as an admission of guilt.
Back to Top
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avatar
Site Admin

Joined: April 05 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: Offline
Points: 22718
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 12:39
Don't take any apparent analness here too seriously, I just like to blow some hot air now and then ramble-bottom style....

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Damn this is almost painful to watch...and I don't even like Saga.
Then again I think we all have a similar poll in us where our fave underdog will lose big time.
I imagine me doing one with Amon Düül ll vs Yes ending up similarly ie my fave gets completely annihilated.


I have a different perspective. With 22 percent of the votes as of now, Saga is doing well against the likes of a band that has been very popular in PA. Furthermore, I tend to pay more attention to the comments, and only two pages in and lots of appreciation has been thrown towards Saga. Frankly, Saga is doing better than I would have thought. In this case, the OP, John, has said that these are two of his favourite bands, so if I were in his position I wouldn't find it painful at all -- a band he loves is getting significantly more votes than another band he loves.

I might be tempted to do, say, Can vs. Igor Wakhevitch. While I'm confident than Can would do significantly better, I would not be saddened at all since I love both and might not vote (these days I would choose Can myself since there's more I love, and my appreciation for Can has deepened over time).

If I were to choose one I am not a big fan of and put it up against one I really liked, and the one I really liked got a really unexpected drubbing, well, then I would be disappointed. For instance, were I to do a 1987 poll, and I put Saga's Wildest Dreams up against Art Zoyd's Berlin and Berlin did as poorly in my poll as Saga is in this one, well, I might find that a little painful or at least bemusing.

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I quite like some Saga, so glad to see that that "you're not alone" in appreciation.

Haha yep. I like that album btw, possibly my second favorite by them after the MONSTER Silent Knight. Good to see you back here man. I've been getting into Focus a bit lately. I like their third album a lot. 


Thanks. The first four Saga albums are good from a Prog perspective, as I recall. Then they go less Prog in the mid 80s and then rebound (not that I think being Prog is a sign of quality, but it is "a quality" or qualities). I haven't heard the later than that music. Other than the radio hits which would get played here, I wasn't that familiar with Saga until I joined. I once wrote a very dismissive post about the band, and regretted it (embarrassed about being dismissive while knowing that I hadn't really explored the music deeply enough to have a strong, informed opinion). So I explored more deeply and I'm glad that I did (though truth be told I had quite enjoyed the radio hits and was basing it something else).

I'm glad that you appreciate Focus' third, that's the one I have tended to vote for in polls. It became my favourite. I'm not trying to backtrack, but when I was first writing my post that is the one I was thinking about recommending and I second and third guessed myself because I thought it might be less accessible. I usually either overthink or underthink things, one day I like to think that I'll find that balance and just say what I think in a thoughtful manner. Probably won't ever happen, lol.
"The first step on the path to wisdom is the recognition of one's own ignorance" (paraphrased from Plato).
Back to Top
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 01 2004
Location: CA
Status: Offline
Points: 8983
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 13:53
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I have a different perspective. With 22 percent of the votes as of now, Saga is doing well against the likes of a band that has been very popular in PA. Furthermore, I tend to pay more attention to the comments, and only two pages in and lots of appreciation has been thrown towards Saga. Frankly, Saga is doing better than I would have thought.

Copy that.
Back to Top
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 26 2017
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Points: 2149
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 15:47
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Well I see a couple people here willing to admit they prefer Saga.

Your Honor...we will take that as an admission of guilt.

lolol. No, I honestly like both bands about equally - that is to say.. A LOT. 

Very glad to see that you were one of the ones who stuck up for them here though. :) 
Back to Top
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 26 2017
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Points: 2149
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 15:56
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Thanks. The first four Saga albums are good from a Prog perspective, as I recall. Then they go less Prog in the mid 80s and then rebound (not that I think being Prog is a sign of quality, but it is "a quality" or qualities). I haven't heard the later than that music. Other than the radio hits which would get played here, I wasn't that familiar with Saga until I joined. I once wrote a very dismissive post about the band, and regretted it (embarrassed about being dismissive while knowing that I hadn't really explored the music deeply enough to have a strong, informed opinion). So I explored more deeply and I'm glad that I did (though truth be told I had quite enjoyed the radio hits and was basing it something else).

I'm glad that you appreciate Focus' third, that's the one I have tended to vote for in polls. It became my favourite. I'm not trying to backtrack, but when I was first writing my post that is the one I was thinking about recommending and I second and third guessed myself because I thought it might be less accessible. I usually either overthink or underthink things, one day I like to think that I'll find that balance and just say what I think in a thoughtful manner. Probably won't ever happen, lol.

No, I found it to be just the opposite. The first one I listened to Moving Waves, had like a long stretch where it was a lot of mostly flute(I think). And then the second one Hamburger Concerto had like a lot of almost 'classical' sounding music.. my tastes just aren't as refined as yours are I'm afraid. I mean certainly neither of those albums were BAD by any stretch, just not consistently great(for me). But that third one was quite good pretty much all the way through. I very much enjoyed it - and was even surprised how good it was. 


Back to Top
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: May 22 2007
Location: Michigan, U.S.
Status: Offline
Points: 62048
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 15:59
I'll throw my hat in with Saga.  I have a thing for accessible prog bands from Canada.  Caravan have a British sense of humour that doesn't necessarily resonate with me..although I suppose that you can't go wrong with either a golf girl or a girl that grows plump in the night. 
Back to Top
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 26 2017
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Points: 2149
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 16:05
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I'll throw my hat in with Saga.  I have a thing for accessible prog bands from Canada.  Caravan have a British sense of humour that doesn't necessarily resonate with me..although I suppose that you can't go wrong with either a golf girl or a girl that grows plump in the night. 

Haha both fantastic albums by them(the album that Golf Girl is on and For Girls.. that is). Anyway, knew we could count on you friend. 
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.158 seconds.

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.