37 [77.08%]
11 [22.92%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 22:30
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Damn this is almost painful to watch...and I don't even like Saga.
Then again I think we all have a similar poll in us where our fave underdog will lose big time.
I imagine me doing one with Amon Düül ll vs Yes ending up similarly ie my fave gets completely annihilated.
I don´t feel pain at all, just because Saga doesn´t mean nothing to me. It would be same, if there was Nirvana vs Arcade Fire (I naturally like to believe Nirvana would murder Arcade Fire). But if you will do your poll, I think I will vote Amon Düül II although I really think Yes is greater. Just because I really love Amon Düül II too.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 06:07
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I have a different perspective. With 22 percent of the votes as of now, Saga is doing well against the likes of a band that has been very popular in PA. Furthermore, I tend to pay more attention to the comments, and only two pages in and lots of appreciation has been thrown towards Saga. Frankly, Saga is doing better than I would have thought.

Some time ago a prolific poll opener put up a number of polls pitching well established and loved bands against total underdogs, and the well established bands had a very hard time - because the underdogs were picked in such a way that they represented a very different style, and most people who'd clearly prefer the usual favourite wouldn't even know the underdog and therefore couldn't vote, whereas those who knew the underdog were often the kind of people who could be very critical about that particular big cheese (S. Wilson and Rush were among those who struggled, Dream Theater lost by quite some distance if I remember correctly; no doubt one can choose an underdog to beat Caravan in the same way).
Saga's problem is rather that they're too well known, it seems. Wink
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 06:19
Nothing wrong with Caravan, they have at least 3 or 4 good records.

I even like The Album and Back to Front (great poprock albums!)

But Saga released at least 10 or 15 great albums.

The mixed rock, prog, fusion and pop into something new. The keyboard-guitar battles are superb, and I honestly haven't heard a band do that at that level.

True, they have their standard pop-songs (wich are great though) but songs like Pitchman, Corkentellis, Careful Where You Step, Framed, Humble Stance, Ice Nice, You're Not Alone, etc. with they all the chord-changes, tempo-changes, solos etc. are definately prog.

And if Generation 13 isn't prog, than what is?

And Yes, Genesis, King Crimson and Pink Floyd had charting singles/hitsongs with pop-structured songs.
That Saga never created a 20-minute epic, doesn't make them non-progressive.

Name a band that blends synthpop, hardrocking guitarsolos (almost fusion), intricate synthsolos (unrivalled), disco-infused drums. Maybe It Bites did this, but Saga was first.

But on the other only 41 people in the entire world voted for this poll. Hardly something for Saga to even care about, hahahaha
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 09:27
I like Caravan, but Saga - for sheer amount of great music. Just for all prog-heads who know only their late 70s - early 80s (which I like too), give a try to their 2006 "Trust" album. I think you'll be mostly surprised how this band evolved, all members getting better with age. Especially the guitarist.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 11:32
Well.....I'm surprised Saga got 11 votes....against one of the best Canterbury bands of all time.
I always thought of Saga as Rush lite from their later keyboard/electronic period. Adequate but nothing special.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 17:24
Great to see the love for Saga here on this board. I don't think they have any absolute masterpiece epic like Nine Feet Underground, but as mentioned they have a whole lot of really enjoyable stuff. I think at their VERY best Caravan is a little better, but there's more to love with Saga. Ultimately I like both bands a ton, so truly can't pick one over the other.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 12:04
Caravan by miles!!!

Cant stand Saga
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 12:42
Never cared for Caravan, but I cared for Saga even less. So there you have it.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 04:26
Caravan are among my favourite bands. Never heard Saga, but if they're almost as good as Rush then I don't think they'd get my vote if they paid me.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 04:55
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Caravan are among my favourite bands. Never heard Saga, but if they're almost as good as Rush then I don't think they'd get my vote if they paid me.

To me, Saga sounds nothing like Rush.

Never understood why people compare them to Rush. Because they are from Canada?
Triumph is also always compared to Rush. Silly people.

Saga is kind of unique. They are too pop for prog and too prog for pop.
They are too hardrock for synthpop/new wave and too synth for hardrock.

Only (and only) if you like a blend of hardrock, synthpop and songbased popmusic with extended soloiing on synths and guitars than you'd like Saga, otherwise stay clear or you wind up bitter and hatefull like so many LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 17:34
^I agree. Rush, Saga and Triumph could not sound less alike.

Except Rush and Triumph will continue to draw comparison because they're both trios, lead singers with falsettos, increased use of synthesizers in the '80s. But stylistically, totally different. Triumph was rock, but not prog. 

I like all three, and you can add another Canadian hard rock trio, Santers, to the mix. Lead singer/guitarist Rick Santers was brought in to augment Triumph when they toured for The Sport of Kings.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 19:24
I love Saga, Rush, and Triumph. 

Edited by YESESIS - January 30 2018 at 15:17
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 10:44
hahahaha.

There's always something to be said about bands to bring them down.

Barclay James Harvest were named Poor Man's Moody Blues. Well, John Lees showed them, and wrote a song with exactly that title, and the chords of Nights in White Satin. Turned out to be a huge fan-favorite and live-staple!

That being said, I can't really compare Saga to any other band. Except that in the beginning they borrowed some of Genesis and Gentle Giant, but Saga turned to their own style really quick, wich is (as said) a mixture of discorhythms, synthriffs and hardrock.

Bands like It Bites and Enchant have borrowed from Saga. But that's how music works.
I guess Saga could have been influenced by Rush, but Rush was influenced by Led Zeppelin, wich is bluesrock and Saga veered more towards jazzrock in the beginning.

When producers like Keith Olsen and Rupert Hine had their hands on Saga, they got streamlined, and the sound became increasingly more pop with still the hardrock-guitar.

Apart from that Ian and Jim Crichton both played the Synthaxe, wich is really something. Haven't seen the synthaxe in any other band (except for Holdsworth of course)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 15:22
No contest, Caravan. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123