Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lyrics That Are Stuck in Your Head Right Now

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 02:44
The grand parade of lifeless packaging; I'm ready to use
The grand parade of lifeless packaging; I just need a fuse...

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 07:53
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Casting just a glance at the Churchyard, casting just a glance at my painted female friend..

Friede and I made a special edition of "Nursery Cryme" which includes the tracks "Happy the Man" and "Twilight Alehouse". both songs were recorded during the "Nursery Cryme" sessions, but for some reason not included on the album. "Happy the Man" appeared as a single shortly after "Nursery Cryme" came out, but "Twilight Alehouse" much later as b-side of "I Know What I Like"

'Like a fool in a pool I'm wonderfully cool....like a Nun with a gun i'm wonderful fun...  with a grin on my chin i'm certain to win'WinkWink .... My 2 all time favorite Genesis songs!!Clap

I think the version of Twilight Alehouse on the B side of IKWIL was actually recorded during 1972 but it was first written and performed by the band as early as 1969 (the guitar riff actually appears as a 'joining' section between two songs on 'From Genesis to Revelation') and there is a brain melting BBC session version from 1972 and the lovely Belgium TV (Rock of the 70's) version from around early 1971 SmileSmile

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 11:02
"Right before your eyes we pull laughter from the skies
And he laughs until he cries, then he dies, then he dies!"
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 12:17
"...Leaving twopence on the plate,
They hurry down the path and through the gate...
And wait to board the bus
That ambles down the street."
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 12:18
Fox on the run. By Sweet. Confused
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 12:21
Somebody wake me
I've been sleeping too long
Oh, I don't have to take this lying down
You can keep your promises
Shove 'em where they belong
Don't ask me to the party
Won't be around.

Looking for sunshine
Oh but it's black and it's cold
Yet, you say that milk and honey's
Just round the bend.
Giving us a hard time, my friends
Handing us the same line again.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 13:06

Casting just a glance at the Churchyard, casting just a glance at my painted female friend..

Friede and I made a special edition of "Nursery Cryme" which includes the tracks "Happy the Man" and "Twilight Alehouse". both songs were recorded during the "Nursery Cryme" sessions, but for some reason not included on the album. "Happy the Man" appeared as a single shortly after "Nursery Cryme" came out, but "Twilight Alehouse" much later as b-side of "I Know What I Like"

'Like a fool in a pool I'm wonderfully cool....like a Nun with a gun i'm wonderful fun...  with a grin on my chin i'm certain to win'WinkWink .... My 2 all time favorite Genesis songs!!Clap

I think the version of Twilight Alehouse on the B side of IKWIL was actually recorded during 1972 but it was first written and performed by the band as early as 1969 (the guitar riff actually appears as a 'joining' section between two songs on 'From Genesis to Revelation') and there is a brain melting BBC session version from 1972 and the lovely Belgium TV (Rock of the 70's) version from around early 1971 SmileSmile

"Twilight Alehouse" was allegedly recorded during the "Foxtrot" sessions, but I think this is impossible because of what I call the "aural fingerprint". I will explain what I mean by that.

each album has its own specific sound due to the circumstances during the recording sessions. this is especially so for analogue recordings, but to a certain degree even for digital ones, although less pronounced. each studio has its own acoustic parameters, and even the same studio may have different acoustic parameters at different times. this is well-known by any sound technician. I know for certain that TV sound engineers used to record 3 minutes of silence for shootings to get the sound atmosphere. I don't know if this is still so, but it definitely was in the 70s.

now the "aural fingerprint" of "Twilight Alehouse" happens to match the "aural fingerprint" of "Nursery Cryme" and not of "Foxtrot". hence it was definitely recorded during these sessions

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 13:45

"Twilight Alehouse" was allegedly recorded during the "Foxtrot" sessions, but I think this is impossible because of what I call the "aural fingerprint". I will explain what I mean by that.

each album has its own specific sound due to the circumstances during the recording sessions. this is especially so for analogue recordings, but to a certain degree even for digital ones, although less pronounced. each studio has its own acoustic parameters, and even the same studio may have different acoustic parameters at different times. this is well-known by any sound technician. I know for certain that TV sound engineers used to record 3 minutes of silence for shootings to get the sound atmosphere. I don't know if this is still so, but it definitely was in the 70s.

now the "aural fingerprint" of "Twilight Alehouse" happens to match the "aural fingerprint" of "Nursery Cryme" and not of "Foxtrot". hence it was definitely recorded during these sessions

I'm aware of the concept (Room tone) you refer to.. everything ive read (and yes you shouldn't believe everything you read) over many many years leads me to strongly believe that Twilight Alehouse was not 'officially' recorded until 72. Chances are it wasn't at the Island (Basing street) studios where the majority of Foxtrot was recorded as i'm sure some overdubs were done elsewhere. There is a huge difference between the sound production of David Hitchcock/ John Burns and John Anthony/David Henshel and between Trident and Basing Street in terms of dynamics.. have you actually analysed the analogue recordings of these personally or just 'by ear'? i'd be very interested to hear it/ see any evidence, just being a long, long time fan of the band and of the Charisma label 69-75.

Anyway, all that aside aside, I was just respecting, acknowledging and returning your comment on my comment in a jolly mannerSmile

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 16:02
Prog man anekdoten tolkien listens to gong
Prog man you would never sell your mellotron

All hail Marillion and PFM
You could be prog men just take the plunge
Say yes to fusion and no to grunge

[Yes, these are excerpts from a real song]

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 10:28
Along the coast road, by the headland
the early lights of winter glow.
I'll pour a cup to you my darling.
And raise it up say Cheerio.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 10:43
"Close your eyes, and go to sleep
The night will soon be gone
There'll be nothing here when the light goes out
That wasn't here when the light was on."
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 13:10
You and I, we got caught down there
In the twisted canyons of the great divide
We walked the floor
Now we don't go there anymore

In the great divide
Nothing to decide
No one else to care for or love
In the great divide
You won't fit in too well
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 14:23
Gor blimey Mrs Jones, how's your Bert's Lumbago? 

Lazy Sunday afternoon, got no mind to worry, close your eyes and drift away......

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 17:18
There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes, smoking Winston Cigarettes.

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 17:25
"Day outside grows black
I lie face up in my shell
Squeeze my eyes shut and feel like falling into blank space."
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 19:56
I'm a fool to do your dirty work, oh yeah,
I don't wanna do your dirty work, no more.

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 19:58
Cigarettes, ice cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 24 2018 at 19:58
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 13:29
There's a black cat down on the quayside.
Ship's lights, green eyes glowing in the dark.
Two young cops handing out a beating:
Know how to hurt and leave no mark.
Down in the half-lit bar of the hotel
There's a call for the last round of the day.
Push back the stool, take that elevator ride.
Fall in bed and kick my shoes away...
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 16:15
Meanwhile back in the year One
When you belonged to no-one
You didn't stand a chance son, if your pants were undone.
`Cause you were bred for humanity and sold to society
one day you'll wake up in the Present Day
a million generations removed from expectations
of being who you really want to be..........
All together now!!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 16:31
No time for romantic escape when your fluffy heart is ready for rape.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>