Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No more Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 21:08
Clockwork Angels was indeed the better of the two, but S&A was a step in the right direction (looking at it in hidsight, since I heard CA first).
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 09:35
It would have been nice for them to squeeze out one more album but I guess that's not going to happen now. 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 11:26
You never know. Things can change. They likely won't change but I'll still hold out a tiny sliver of hope that maybe someday they will come back to make one last album. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 12:03
One thing that I find interesting with Rush is that they have re-issued many/most of their albums over the years and they have very few, if any, "previously unreleased" songs.  Most bands when they reissue albums throw in a few of these tracks to make them more desirable as a purchase for fans.   I have seen multiple comments regarding Rush that they do not have any unreleased material.  This seems odd to me.  You would think that over the 40+ years that the band was together that they would have recorded songs that they decided not to release, but to date very little, if any, of this has shown up. 
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 13:57
the only 2 things that I can do is give them my thanks and applauses !!!

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Edited by maryes - January 25 2018 at 13:59
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 14:10
I have a feeling that there will be new studio material from them in the near future.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 14:38
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I have a feeling that there will be new studio material from them in the near future.

Maybe but not as the band Rush. If you mean new material by Alex and Geddy together then yeah I agree. I can definitely see that happening in the near future.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 19:47
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Maybe but not as the band Rush. If you mean new material by Alex and Geddy together then yeah I agree. I can definitely see that happening in the near future.

No, I mean Rush, have a feeling that Neil will change his mind eventually. Perfectly OK if it don't happen, though. What an awesome career and discography and if the excellent Clockwork is their final effort, so be it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 20:27

No, I mean Rush, have a feeling that Neil will change his mind eventually. Perfectly OK if it don't happen, though. What an awesome career and discography and if the excellent Clockwork is their final effort, so be it.

Well, don't hold your breath waiting. Wink I'd say there's probably a better chance of an REM or Porcupine Tree reunion. Just because Rush never had a big farewell tour like Black Sabbath doesn't mean they are going to reunite. I know it's what we all would like but it's better to be surprised than to give your hopes up for something that at this point is highly unlikely. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 25 2018 at 20:27
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 21:02
Clockwork Angels is a great album and a great way to say goodbye. I would be nervous if they announced a new album that it might not be as good and that they might end their career with a sub-par album. Not many bands are capable of releasing such a good album to end their career.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 23:33
Have to say that I wasn´t very happy to hear the latest Rush-live. Geddy has lost his voice quite badly, so it wasn´t really pleasure to me listen their old great songs, not even they´ve put tuning down for example Hemispheres. So if they ever will reunite (which I don´t think will happen) I don´t believe I will ever go their concert, although I´ve never seen them.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 05:24
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Have to say that I wasn´t very happy to hear the latest Rush-live. Geddy has lost his voice quite badly, so it wasn´t really pleasure to me listen their old great songs, not even they´ve put tuning down for example Hemispheres.

I agree with you. It's almost painful to hear Geddy try to sing some of the older songs. For instance, I can't even listen to recent live versions of Freewill anymore. That song just doesn't work for me if Geddy can't sing it like he did when it was recorded. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 05:35
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I'm fine with Rush---have some of their albums but it's not like they were exploring new frontiers with their music----they certainly had a formula for making music and it has sort of run it's course----especially if Alex wants to collaborate with other artists and do something fresh and new and different.

I think they were quite groundbreaking for a while. I think A Farewell to Kings through to Moving Pictures inclusive were all groundbreaking albums. I can't think of anything by anyone else that sounds like music from the Hemispheres album, or anyone else who fused prog rock, with new wave in the way they did on MP and PW.

I thought they had run their course by Counterparts tbh, which I still think is a great album. Anything after that did little for me.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 08:29

Well, don't hold your breath waiting. Wink I'd say there's probably a better chance of an REM or Porcupine Tree reunion. Just because Rush never had a big farewell tour like Black Sabbath doesn't mean they are going to reunite. I know it's what we all would like but it's better to be surprised than to give your hopes up for something that at this point is highly unlikely. 

Time will tell, friend.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 08:59
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

One thing that I find interesting with Rush is that they have re-issued many/most of their albums over the years and they have very few, if any, "previously unreleased" songs.  Most bands when they reissue albums throw in a few of these tracks to make them more desirable as a purchase for fans.   I have seen multiple comments regarding Rush that they do not have any unreleased material.  This seems odd to me.  You would think that over the 40+ years that the band was together that they would have recorded songs that they decided not to release, but to date very little, if any, of this has shown up. 

I've always wondered about that too Scott, I mean there must be material in one of their vaults they never released. Even alternate studio takes/mixes, most bands will include these in reissues, like Led Zeppelin did with the deluxe box sets.

Anyhow I have plenty of Rush material to keep me going for the next 30-40yrs. As records are my preferred media, I am always hunting the bins for those original releases/presses that sound brilliant! Still hunting for a Moving Pictures mastered by Bob Ludwig in VG++ condition. I know I will find it, as well as another copy of AFTK. My original copy is a JAMF issue, one of my best sounding records easily.....lookin for another.....

That keeps my Rush blood flowing.......

I have a slight feeling Neil will be interested in recording material, and maybe it will be some of this unreleased stuff....but touring for sure I think they are done.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 09:43

Time will tell, friend.

Listen, bands just like people have a right to retire. Take a look at this. https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/alex-lifeson-confirms-rush-breakup/

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 26 2018 at 09:44
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 09:56

Time will tell, friend.

Listen, bands just like people have a right to retire. Take a look at this. https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/alex-lifeson-confirms-rush-breakup/

What are you trying to prove, man? Read my posts attentively and you'll get what I mean.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 10:21

Time will tell, friend.

What are you trying to prove, man? Read my posts attentively and you'll get what I mean.

No, I think the question is what are you trying to prove? You're the one who can't seem to accept the fact that the band is done, not me.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 26 2018 at 10:34
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 10:34

Time will tell, friend.

No, I think the question is what are you trying to prove? You're the one who can't seem to accept the fact that the band is done, not me.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 10:39
My thoughts exactly. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>