Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No more Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 10:59
My dear enlightened, I bow down before you in all humility.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 11:56
LOL
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 12:00
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I have a feeling that there will be new studio material from them in the near future.

Maybe but not as the band Rush. If you mean new material by Alex and Geddy together then yeah I agree. I can definitely see that happening in the near future.

No, I mean Rush, have a feeling that Neil will change his mind eventually. Perfectly OK if it don't happen, though. What an awesome career and discography and if the excellent Clockwork is their final effort, so be it.

Well, don't hold your breath waiting. Wink I'd say there's probably a better chance of an REM or Porcupine Tree reunion. Just because Rush never had a big farewell tour like Black Sabbath doesn't mean they are going to reunite. I know it's what we all would like but it's better to be surprised than to give your hopes up for something that at this point is highly unlikely. 

Time will tell, friend.

Listen, bands just like people have a right to retire. Take a look at this. https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/alex-lifeson-confirms-rush-breakup/

What are you trying to prove, man? Read my posts attentively and you'll get what I mean.

No, I think the question is what are you trying to prove? You're the one who can't seem to accept the fact that the band is done, not me.

I don't know. Certainly no one is saying they don't have the right to retire but I'd put more stock in this announcement were it coming from Geddy, instead of Alex. That said. I do believe they are probably done. Touring is certainly not going to happen again. However, I still can't shake the small feeling that they might get back together at some point to make new music. This announcement may be 100% true today. At some point in the future that might change. It might not. I think that's what Barbu is getting at.

Edited by Jeffro - January 26 2018 at 12:07
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 12:14
They said with their last tour that it would be their last big tour.  They left it open that they may do something in the studio and that they might even play concerts again, albeit, one-off shows or short tours rather than years-long world-wide tours. 

Prior to releasing Clockwork Angels they had said that it would be highly unlikely that they would release any more albums.  With the digital age, they figured that they would only release digital singles going forward rather than incurring the cost of producing and releasing a full album.  As with any band, anything is still possible.  In 2023, they may decide that they want to perform for their 50th anniversary...but I suspect that they really are done as Rush.  I think that we will probably still see Geddy and Alex involved in new projects and maybe even together in a project, but I really think that Neil is done. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 12:40
Here's the article again. It seems some of you have not read it. ;) https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/alex-lifeson-confirms-rush-breakup/

Towards the end Alex said there is a small chance they could get together for one off shows but as for a full blown reunion or recording the band is done. I believe him even though he seems to contradict himself. They are done with no chance of reunion then he says there is a small chance. Make up your mind Alex. This is why  it would be nice to hear the other two chime in.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 26 2018 at 12:42
LastSonOfGallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LastSonOfGallifrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 13:18
I had initially held out hope that maybe they would record together again, even if they never actually toured.  It's sad to know they're done, but I believe that 'Clockwork Angels' is a terrific swan song.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 17:39
I don't expect to see them (in the same configuration) live again. I won't be surprised if Geddy records another album and books a solo tour with a "band" that consists of some good friends before he, Alex and Neil even sit in the same room together to talk about music.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 19:10
Though I'm sure this is quite real for now, I would not at all be shocked to see them together again for an album and a tour and everything else within a few years.   And I mean as Rush ~

Edited by Atavachron - February 02 2018 at 19:25
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 17:36
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Though I'm sure this is quite real for now, I would not at all be shocked to see them together again for an album and a tour and everything else within a few years.   And I mean as Rush ~

I agree that there is a possibility of a reunion but not a reformation. I can't see them returning for the long term. But could they get together for a few shows here and there? That seems possible and in fact Alex even said he could see that happening. Heck, technically speaking anything is possible but wouldn't that also apply to any band that still has living members?Wink I suppose I could have been snarky here though and responded to you with something like "I suppose you think a Black Sabbath reunion is possible too." Tongue I think because one band didn't make a big deal about their break up and the other band did is why no one questions one band never reforming while the window is still open for the other band. That's not how I see it though. A closed door is just that regardless of someone making a big announcement about closing the door.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 03 2018 at 17:42
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 17:44
about time hahaha...  they stopped being interesting decades ago..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 18:03

I agree that there is a possibility of a reunion but not a reformation. I can't see them returning for the long term. But could they get together for a few shows here and there? That seems possible and in fact Alex even said he could see that happening. Heck, technically speaking anything is possible but wouldn't that also apply to any band that still has living members?Wink I suppose I could have been snarky here though and responded to you with something like "I suppose you think a Black Sabbath reunion is possible too." Tongue I think because one band didn't make a big deal about their break up and the other band did is why no one questions one band never reforming while the window is still open for the other band. That's not how I see it though. A closed door is just that regardless of someone making a big announcement about closing the door.

Rock history shows most breakups don't take, and in Rush's case ~ being the longest-lasting rock band to continue intact consistently for 45 years ~ I don't see history changing.   Not a reunion, but rather a full reformation for at least one album and tour in their future.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 21:42
There's a lot of talk about then coming together again because this things often are not permanent as long as they are alive and whatever. But there's the issue of their health and being able to perform up to their level, and that's an important factor to consider. And they are not getting any younger, so any chronic ailment won't get any better.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 02:23
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

There's a lot of talk about then coming together again because this things often are not permanent as long as they are alive and whatever. But there's the issue of their health and being able to perform up to their level, and that's an important factor to consider. And they are not getting any younger, so any chronic ailment won't get any better.

The one thing that would finally give Rush an edge (lol) over Yes would be to STOP PLAYING LIVE while the shows are still decent. My last memory of Yes live was a hired-gun version with dudes I have no connection with who had no input on the records I love. Obviously this wouldn't happen with Rush (smaller band), but the point remains. I'd hate the last Rush experience I ever saw to be one where they clearly shouldn't be on stage.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 08:38

Rock history shows most breakups don't take, and in Rush's case ~ being the longest-lasting rock band to continue intact consistently for 45 years ~ I don't see history changing.   Not a reunion, but rather a full reformation for at least one album and tour in their future.

Normally I would agree with you and I would cite the Doobie Brothers and the Who as examples and heck even Steely Dan now. I guess you could count Led Zeppelin also. However, in this stage of the game(given their age) it seems unlikely for Rush. Maybe you aren't familiar with the reasons behind their decision here though. Neil has health issues and is busy raising a family including a young daughter. Alex also has health issues. I think nerve pain. You never know what will happen but in this case a reformation seems very unlikely(a few shows maybe but not another album). I do think that Alex and Neil will play together though but they will not call it Rush without Neil. Anyway, that's how I see it. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 04 2018 at 08:39
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 14:00
I know about their health problems, we've been hearing about Neil's issues for decades, and I hope all three have good treatment.   Heck they're Canadian and have money to boot, I'm sure they'll get the best care available.   I guess we'll see, won't we.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 14:18
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

The one thing that would finally give Rush an edge (lol) over Yes would be to STOP PLAYING LIVE while the shows are still decent. My last memory of Yes live was a hired-gun version with dudes I have no connection with who had no input on the records I love. Obviously this wouldn't happen with Rush (smaller band), but the point remains. I'd hate the last Rush experience I ever saw to be one where they clearly shouldn't be on stage.

I agree. Yes should have ceased activities with the death of Chris Squire. He was the one constant throughout their entire career. He's the only guy who is on every single Yes album. They should stop out of respect for him, if nothing else. At least ARW tours as ARW.

The same goes for Tangerine Dream, a band continuing as a trio in which two of its members joined within the last 4-7 years (!!!) — and TD is a band with a 1970 debut. That's just not right. 

At least Rush was (still) Lee, Lifeson and Peart, as they had been since Geddy's 21st birthday in 1974.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 19:35

I guess we'll see, won't we.

Listen, bands just like people have a right to retire.

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 19:51
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I agree. Yes should have ceased activities with the death of Chris Squire. He was the one constant throughout their entire career. He's the only guy who is on every single Yes album. They should stop out of respect for him, if nothing else. At least ARW tours as ARW.

The same goes for Tangerine Dream, a band continuing as a trio in which two of its members joined within the last 4-7 years (!!!) — and TD is a band with a 1970 debut. That's just not right. 

At least Rush was (still) Lee, Lifeson and Peart, as they had been since Geddy's 21st birthday in 1974.

I also agree. Rush is a three piece, so there's less room for error. Yes is a mess, and has been for a bit even before Chris' passing.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 19:58

I guess we'll see, won't we.

Listen, bands just like people have a right to retire.

No.  They don't.

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 20:06
^ 100% agreed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>