Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No more Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 21:51
It is impossible to post a reply because of Captcha. Over 10 times trying and it just won't post. Let's see if this one get's posted at least!!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 21:53
I guess Yes has been a mess since they left Jon Anderson out. They should have waited for him, or if they really wanted / needed to tour without him, they should have had him back when he was ready... I still don't understand why they needed to break up with him. And then kicking out Oliver Wakeman and getting at odds with Rick in the process wasn't very good at all... besides, even though Oliver wasn't Rick, he had chops of his own, and I believe he did better than Geoff Downes has been doing, and could play live better. However, even so, Fly from Here was very nice anyway, even if it was mostly because of the old unused songs... but Heaven and Earth just didn't work out, I guess they are really dry on ideas for new music. Right now, even without Chris, they could do a fine enough show if they did get Jon Anderson back at last (and Rick Wakeman). I guess the line-up that performed at the Hall of Fame would be the best way to go... if they could even keep Jeddy Lee it would be all the greater, and perhaps some back-up drummer, since Alan White seems to have problems performing up to his old standards any longer (I guess most of them do have such problems, but Alan would be the most obvious one).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 21:53
OK, leaving out the reply format I could make my post about the related Yes discussion before.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 23:48
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I guess we'll see, won't we.

Listen, bands just like people have a right to retire.

Copycat. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 23:50

No.  They don't.

You're right. They don't. They have to stay around as long as their fans want them to. Why? Because the fans say so. Smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 02:08
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

It is impossible to post a reply because of Captcha. Over 10 times trying and it just won't post. Let's see if this one get's posted at least!!!

Do you copy your posts before hitting the very dangerous "Post Reply" button, sir? It's the best insurance policy! Sometimes I get denied, go back in, paste, captcha test again, then it posts. Never more than twice does it block me.

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

No.  They don't.

You're right. They don't. They have to stay around as long as their fans want them to. Why? Because the fans say so. Smile

...So they can tarnish their discography with luke-warm attempts at creativity that will never match their back catalog! Tongue

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 09:21
^Hey, Yes did it why not Rush? :P 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 09:31

One of my biggest gripes about telling people Yes is my favorite band (Gentle Giant really is, but I usually don't have time to explain that to people who've never heard of them lol) is that there's more crap in their discography than gold now. Everything from 1968-1977 is amazing, Drama is good, 902103495583458 (I hate that album title) is solid, but then it's a mess of hodge-podge ideas that are usually half-baked, including mid-late 90's PC looking artwork etc lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 10:10

Actually, Rush already did this with so so efforts like Snakes & Arrows and Roll The Bones. Many would add Vapor Trails to that list. At least they finished strong with Clockwork Angels.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 18:15
Vapor Trails is awesome. That's the last one I can listen to front-to-back. One killer song after another. One hell of a comeback after a long spell where they thought they might be finished.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 05:39
The problem I have with VT is that I hear too much of Geddy's solo album in it. I think Geddy doing a solo album changed the way he writes songs. My Favorite Headache isn't a bad album but I certainly didn't want that sound in a Rush album.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMSM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 16:26
Like it or not, Rush was a sellout band in trying to keep up with musical times or being politically correct in order to win favors with the self described "progressives".

Early 70's, trying to be some trendy Led Zep sound, Some of their stuff in the 80's was new wave sounding, even going into rap in the 2000's and songs like Nobody's Hero was nothing more that kissing the butt of the powerful and privileged LGBT movement. The Trees was a pro-union song - kissing their butts - just to name a few

Admittedly, the public helped get them into the rock and roll hall of fame, but that place is a similar elitist progressive, politically correct club that Rush continued to try and gain approval of.

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 22:41
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I guess Yes has been a mess since they left Jon Anderson out. They should have waited for him, or if they really wanted / needed to tour without him, they should have had him back when he was ready... I still don't understand why they needed to break up with him. And then kicking out Oliver Wakeman and getting at odds with Rick in the process wasn't very good at all... besides, even though Oliver wasn't Rick, he had chops of his own, and I believe he did better than Geoff Downes has been doing, and could play live better. However, even so, Fly from Here was very nice anyway, even if it was mostly because of the old unused songs... but Heaven and Earth just didn't work out, I guess they are really dry on ideas for new music. Right now, even without Chris, they could do a fine enough show if they did get Jon Anderson back at last (and Rick Wakeman). I guess the line-up that performed at the Hall of Fame would be the best way to go... if they could even keep Jeddy Lee it would be all the greater, and perhaps some back-up drummer, since Alan White seems to have problems performing up to his old standards any longer (I guess most of them do have such problems, but Alan would be the most obvious one).
I like Heaven & Earth, although it really isnīt their greatest and also prefer Fly From Here more. Also I think Davison has done a great job, sings well also those "classic album"-lives. You can hear in that Rock`n`Roll hall of fame performance that Anderson has partly lost his voice. Anyway nothing against if Anderson, Wakeman and Geddy (heīs not going to sing much then isnīt he) will go to Yes. I know itīs just a dream, but Bruford back to Yes...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 09:52
Originally posted by SMSM SMSM wrote:

Like it or not, Rush was a sellout band in trying to keep up with musical times or being politically correct in order to win favors with the self described "progressives".

Early 70's, trying to be some trendy Led Zep sound, Some of their stuff in the 80's was new wave sounding, even going into rap in the 2000's and songs like Nobody's Hero was nothing more that kissing the butt of the powerful and privileged LGBT movement. The Trees was a pro-union song - kissing their butts - just to name a few

Admittedly, the public helped get them into the rock and roll hall of fame, but that place is a similar elitist progressive, politically correct club that Rush continued to try and gain approval of.

Huh? Confused
Your first sentence is totally opposite of what all Rush interviews on that topic state. What is it that you know that even the members of Rush do not?

The rest......thank God we have free speech.....because it's ridiculous.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 10:30
Come on Jose. Didn't you know that Rush, at first, was trying to be the new Archies! Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 10:51
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Come on Jose. Didn't you know that Rush, at first, was trying to be the new Archies! Wink

LOL I missed that from them, must have been during my disco era........
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 14:20
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Come on Jose. Didn't you know that Rush, at first, was trying to be the new Monkees!

Fixed. ;)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 14:48
Originally posted by SMSM SMSM wrote:

Early 70's, trying to be some trendy Led Zep sound, Some of their stuff in the 80's was new wave sounding

I would be remiss to not point out how many bands that potentially describes. (Hint: a lot.) Zepp clones are (still) in abundance. Hell, Zebra did Zeppelin better than Zeppelin on their 1983 debut. 

Geddy and Al liked The Police and Ultravox, and when you like stuff that much, you tend to emulate it. 

Other (hard) rock bands/artists that embraced synthesizers: Blue Oyster Cult, Triumph, Frank Marino, Billy Thorpe, and Gary Wright, who recorded an album entirely with keyboards (The Dream Weaver) back in '75 before any other mainstream vocal artist that wasn't Kraftwerk did it — Devo and Gary Numan included. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 21:09
Still I can't post replies... or long posts, I don't know what, because of that Captcha thing... I don't want to spend over half an hour again trying to postover and over again the same message. However, about Mortte's reply about Yes, I would need to hear the Hall of Fame performance again, but for what I remember, Jon Anderson still sings better than Davison at least. I had high hopes for Davison, but I just haven't been able to enjoy his singing from what I have heard... he just sounds too tame and life-less, unlike Anderson. Actually, I liked Benoit's singing better, specially on Fly from Here he really sang beautifully (much more so than Davison on Heaven and Earth... though I guess I might blame Sherwood for that too, since he produced vocals for that album, and somehow he has a special talent to suck out life from vocals on his projects)... though Benoit did sound like he struggle trying to sing Anderson's parts.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 22:43
^Well, I think you should listen that Hall Of Fame version of "Roundabout". I believe if I remembered right one reason why they fired him was his asthma-problems.

But anyway Davison got in that latest Yes-live problems to get high enough in "Heart of the sunrise". Also, I have wondered why vocal sound is so metal sounding in those earlier two album lives, maybe there is autotune?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>