Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No more Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 05:22
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by SMSM SMSM wrote:

Like it or not, Rush was a sellout band in trying to keep up with musical times or being politically correct in order to win favors with the self described "progressives".

Early 70's, trying to be some trendy Led Zep sound, Some of their stuff in the 80's was new wave sounding, even going into rap in the 2000's and songs like Nobody's Hero was nothing more that kissing the butt of the powerful and privileged LGBT movement. The Trees was a pro-union song - kissing their butts - just to name a few

Admittedly, the public helped get them into the rock and roll hall of fame, but that place is a similar elitist progressive, politically correct club that Rush continued to try and gain approval of.

Huh? Confused
Your first sentence is totally opposite of what all Rush interviews on that topic state. What is it that you know that even the members of Rush do not?

The rest......thank God we have free speech.....because it's ridiculous.

Oh, didn't you know that Rush merely made the music they did in a misguided attempt to fit in and to curry favor with various groups? Conform of be cast out, indeed. 

By god! It couldn't have been because <GASP!> that was the type of music they were interested in making????!!???!?!?!????? That's crazy talk. It must have all been some elaborate scheme. Wacko

Edited by Jeffro - February 08 2018 at 05:22
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 21:24
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^Well, I think you should listen that Hall Of Fame version of "Roundabout". I believe if I remembered right one reason why they fired him was his asthma-problems.

But anyway Davison got in that latest Yes-live problems to get high enough in "Heart of the sunrise". Also, I have wondered why vocal sound is so metal sounding in those earlier two album lives, maybe there is autotune?

It was because Jon had a severe asthma attack, and almost died from it (I think he said he actually died), and the band didn't want to wait for him to keep on touring. Still, that doesn't explain why they couldn't have him back once he was ready to sing again... oh well, perhaps because he wouldn't be able to keep up to a long touring scheduelle anyway. But still that doesn't explain why they couldn't keep in good terms and have Anderson sing with them on speciall events, shorter tours, studio recordings, whatever. And even if Anderson's voice is not the same as it used to be, I still think it's better than Davison's... his singing just sounds flat and lifeless, even if he can hit the notes with more ease at this time.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 22:12
^Well, maybe one reason can be, that according to Jon, there has been quite bad atmosphere in Yes. Maybe Jon even donīt want to come back. Some years ago I found quite hilarious interview about his fireing where he said in the end they have two tour busses where the jolly guys (he and Wakemen) were in the other and rest (sulky guys) in other.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 01:57
Originally posted by SMSM SMSM wrote:

Like it or not, Rush was a sellout band in trying to keep up with musical times or being politically correct in order to win favors with the self described "progressives".

Early 70's, trying to be some trendy Led Zep sound, Some of their stuff in the 80's was new wave sounding, even going into rap in the 2000's and songs like Nobody's Hero was nothing more that kissing the butt of the powerful and privileged LGBT movement. The Trees was a pro-union song - kissing their butts - just to name a few

Admittedly, the public helped get them into the rock and roll hall of fame, but that place is a similar elitist progressive, politically correct club that Rush continued to try and gain approval of.

I agree with the majority of what you said here. I love me some Rush, but can't deny I've always felt they were a bit late to the party, so to speak.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 03:41
So it`s common opinion here Rush werenīt neoprog predecessors? Also, I think itīs a great achievement to success in that very antiprog atmosphere! I am not liking very much their after Signals-album, but I donīt think they were very much in New Wave...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 04:05
^ no, they weren't neo-prog predecessors, because neo-prog was more or less a new wave of symphonic prog based sound, with guitarists influenced by Hackett, Gilmour and Latimer and keyboardists trying to sound a bit like Tony Banks and some Rick Wakeman. 

I also don't think Rush did new wave. Just because they used synths? If you ask me, they used them quite well. 

Edited by Cristi - February 09 2018 at 04:06
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 04:21
^So Dream Theater isnīt neoprog? What picture I got from neoprog is that there are virtuoso players and their virtuoso playing is much more important that the substance of music.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 04:46
Nahh neo (at least on PA) is more like traditional symph prog but with updated keyboard sounds.
Then again the neo moniker has been ascribed to so many different things that it is gettng increasingly frustrating trying to figure out what meaning pertains to what and in what way.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 05:39
In the begin of nineties Dream Theater was called neoprog here Finland. I donīt believe here existed then prog-metal genre definition at all then. Maybe itīs like it always been, definitions of some genres become clearer many years after some has started some style.

Anyway I have understood Dream Theater has said Rush of one of their big influences.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 22:08

^Well, maybe one reason can be, that according to Jon, there has been quite bad atmosphere in Yes. Maybe Jon even donīt want to come back. Some years ago I found quite hilarious interview about his fireing where he said in the end they have two tour busses where the jolly guys (he and Wakemen) were in the other and rest (sulky guys) in other.

I don't remember the details, but I understand when Jon got better from his illnes and was ready to sing again he wanted to come back to Yes and they wouldn't have him. Perhaps he was too bossy and the other ones were happy to have more freedom to do things their own way?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 22:27
^Well, I think the members of Yes have had quite different views of the world already in the seventies. I think you know Jon would have wanted to do Topographic in the countryside, if I remembered right he would have wanted them to live in tents. Then their mananger bring in the studio haystacks and cardboard cows. I think other members not also always understood Wakeman, one of his famous doings were that curry on the stage.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 02:23
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Nahh neo (at least on PA) is more like traditional symph prog but with updated keyboard sounds.
Then again the neo moniker has been ascribed to so many different things that it is gettng increasingly frustrating trying to figure out what meaning pertains to what and in what way.

So most prog music after like 1982? Smile

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 03:52
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

So most prog music after like 1982? 

no, not most prog music, the symph prog based ones. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 07:15
hahaha... I do predict... and you heard it here first.

Rush will reform for a farewell album, tour, and obligatory live album ....

BEFORE this thread disappears into Micky territory.. ie... page 2.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 07:57
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahaha... I do predict... and you heard it here first.

Rush will reform for a farewell album, tour, and obligatory live album ....

BEFORE this thread disappears into Micky territory.. ie... page 2.

no, they won't because Peart has retired.

I do expect the other two to make some new music though, especially Geddy. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 08:01
retire? no sh*t man!!!  I can read.... oh he'll unretire.. thus the prediction man Wink
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 08:06
^ I don't think they'll do that though

Scorpions and Judas Priest announced retirement and they came back. :)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 08:09
Got a 6 pack on my prediction...  to all of you... Peart unretires and they do the Rush trifecta.. album/tour/live album BEFORE this thread sinks to page 2.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 12:33
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Maybe Alex and Geddy will play together again. I personally can't see that not happening. 
Agreed. Those guys are thick as thieves. They just won't ever call it Rush again.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 21:32

^Well, I think the members of Yes have had quite different views of the world already in the seventies. I think you know Jon would have wanted to do Topographic in the countryside, if I remembered right he would have wanted them to live in tents. Then their mananger bring in the studio haystacks and cardboard cows. I think other members not also always understood Wakeman, one of his famous doings were that curry on the stage.

As I remember from interviews, the curry insident was not really Wakeman's doing (and I don't really remember that having had a negative effect with the rest of the band), but rather his roadies doing. I think the roadie, who was beneath the keyboards or whatever... hidden but at hand, asked Wakeman what he was having for dinner... and Wakeman responded thinking about what he would go to eat after the show... and before he knew, he was smelling the curry that his roadie brought him... all of this (the time to talk to his roadie, and then to eat the curry) came because there were long sections of the music in which Wakeman had to do near nothing with his keyboards.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>