Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No more Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 14:49
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Maybe Alex and Geddy will play together again. I personally can't see that not happening. 
Agreed. Those guys are thick as thieves. They just won't ever call it Rush again.

Only if the three of them are involved but at this point that seems unlikely to happen(although as Traffic would say "who knows what tomorrow may bring").

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 11 2018 at 14:50
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 14:56
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ I don't think they'll do that though

Scorpions and Judas Priest announced retirement and they came back. :)

I doubt Sabbath will come back. Some bands really mean it. I think because Rush never had a big farewell tour(never made the official announcement and advertised it as such)some people think they are going to come back in a few years. However, that's just not their style.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 15:38
They really mean it until they don't.   As long as they can still get along and feel they still have something decent to offer musically, I have little doubt Rush will be back unless one of them passes.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 15:47
that is why I'm comofortable on being on the hook for enough beer to drown even my liver.. they'll be back.. I actually have little doubt of it.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 19:08
Well, I'm not going to bet anyone beers(especially since I don't drink)but imo they are done. I'm not saying it's impossible but based on what I know(which I have already stated earlier in this thread)it seems very unlikely they will return other than for a few isolated shows here and there. No more records either. I'm happy for them. If any band has "earned" the right to retire it's them. The fans will have to either collect all their albums(including live albums)or discover new bands. I include myself in that since I'm a big Rush fan myself.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 11 2018 at 19:10
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 23:52
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^Well, I think the members of Yes have had quite different views of the world already in the seventies. I think you know Jon would have wanted to do Topographic in the countryside, if I remembered right he would have wanted them to live in tents. Then their mananger bring in the studio haystacks and cardboard cows. I think other members not also always understood Wakeman, one of his famous doings were that curry on the stage.

As I remember from interviews, the curry insident was not really Wakeman's doing (and I don't really remember that having had a negative effect with the rest of the band), but rather his roadies doing. I think the roadie, who was beneath the keyboards or whatever... hidden but at hand, asked Wakeman what he was having for dinner... and Wakeman responded thinking about what he would go to eat after the show... and before he knew, he was smelling the curry that his roadie brought him... all of this (the time to talk to his roadie, and then to eat the curry) came because there were long sections of the music in which Wakeman had to do near nothing with his keyboards.
This is the version I read about Yes-book: Wakeman was really bored to playing Topographic, just because he hadnīt got lot to play in it (you know he was more with Black Sabbath in the next studio when making that album). He started to think, maybe he will go to eat curry after the show. He started to shout to his roadie "Will we go to eat curry after show?" The roadie heard just word "Curry" and thought Wakeman wanted curry immediately, so he brought it to him. And Wakeman though "Who cares" and started to eat it immediately in the middle of the show. In that book it is said others were quite upset about heīs doing.

True or not, anyway hilarious story.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 00:37
Yeah, it's a good story, but nowhere near as funny as all the "vegetarians" in Yes (minus Steve Howe, who's the real deal) "stopping by" Rick's dinner of choice meats to pick off it like raccoons going through your neighbors' trash.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 00:41

LOL
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 03:00
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Yeah, it's a good story, but nowhere near as funny as all the "vegetarians" in Yes (minus Steve Howe, who's the real deal) "stopping by" Rick's dinner of choice meats to pick off it like raccoons going through your neighbors' trash.
Really? Anderson too? Dead
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 03:30

^Well, I think the members of Yes have had quite different views of the world already in the seventies. I think you know Jon would have wanted to do Topographic in the countryside, if I remembered right he would have wanted them to live in tents. Then their mananger bring in the studio haystacks and cardboard cows. I think other members not also always understood Wakeman, one of his famous doings were that curry on the stage.

As I remember from interviews, the curry insident was not really Wakeman's doing (and I don't really remember that having had a negative effect with the rest of the band), but rather his roadies doing. I think the roadie, who was beneath the keyboards or whatever... hidden but at hand, asked Wakeman what he was having for dinner... and Wakeman responded thinking about what he would go to eat after the show... and before he knew, he was smelling the curry that his roadie brought him... all of this (the time to talk to his roadie, and then to eat the curry) came because there were long sections of the music in which Wakeman had to do near nothing with his keyboards.
This is the version I read about Yes-book: Wakeman was really bored to playing Topographic, just because he hadnīt got lot to play in it (you know he was more with Black Sabbath in the next studio when making that album). He started to think, maybe he will go to eat curry after the show. He started to shout to his roadie "Will we go to eat curry after show?" The roadie heard just word "Curry" and thought Wakeman wanted curry immediately, so he brought it to him. And Wakeman though "Who cares" and started to eat it immediately in the middle of the show. In that book it is said others were quite upset about heīs doing.

True or not, anyway hilarious story.

Jon Anderson wanted to record the album in the middle of the forest, under tents, with generators buried in the ground. He also wanted to record vocals in a bathroom due to the sonic value tiling provided, was told no, then had a roadie build it anyway - only for it to fall apart during a test run. They had the cardboard cows and real hay in the studio for atmosphere. By the end, everyone just defaced everything lol.

Wakeman refused pay for his solo with Sabbath next door, so they paid him with beer.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 04:00
^LOL. Yes really is Spinal Tap of prog (well Iīve heard funny stories also about Genesis of Gabriel time).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 04:13
this thread went quickly off topic and off track LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 17:52
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

this thread went quickly off topic and off track LOL

that happens when Micky gets uncaged....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 22:20

You want funny? You should check out Wakeman's story about when he went onstage drunk. Actually, he was drunk since before the show, and started giving indications to different parts of the band. He told different people they would start with a different song. Now, I can try and recall the story, or you may look it up... it must be on video, actually, and much funnier told by Wakeman himself.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 22:24

You want funny? You should check out Wakeman's story about when he went onstage drunk. Actually, he was drunk since before the show, and started giving indications to different parts of the band. He told different people they would start with a different song. Now, I can try and recall the story, or you may look it up... it must be on video, actually, and much funnier told by Wakeman himself.
That "Roundtable Knights on the Ice"-show was also quite a happening...It would be marvelous, if there was a film about it, but I have doubts there isnīt...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 22:32

There are passages on Tales that sound like they did exactly that ~

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 08:56
Hi,

I'm not sure some folks will like this, but here goes.

RUSH was a fine band, and their days are done. Age has a lot to do with it, and at 55 or 60, it is not the same thing having to lug all that stuff around, and play that same song yet again, for the pleasure of what could be considered a fickle audience that simply wants to hear 3 or 4 songs that are their personal favorites.

Long gone is the time, when the audience would shush, and close their eyes, and the music would go on for an hour, and it was wonderful, even if you did not know any of it, its flow and continuity carried out to places still unknown in your mind of dreams ... but when all you have to do is play the same song, for the 1555th time, I, personally, would have told you to stuff it ... and so would many other musicians (like Jethro Tull!) ... when they would wish they could do something else, that will not be appreciated by their own record company, or their "fans" ... they are not "fans" ... they only like one song or two, and couldn't careless for the artist ... specially if the next thing he/she wrote was not a "song" they liked!

Sometimes, I think that the best answer is for all "monster" bands to die ... if that happens, we will have a chance to hear and listen to a lot of new things and find different points of view, except even more examples of young men doing old men, thinking they can do metal better than Black Sabbath did 50 years ago, for example. In this sense, the song has remained the same, and until those monster bands go away, no one will pay attention to new things as much as they could.

Today, listening to new things is not the same as these old things ... you heard one RUSH album 175 times ... the new band you are checking ... you barely played half the album one time ... and the ability to LISTEN and APPRECIATE new artistry gets slanted and hurt ... because our ears are not trained to a variety of listens ... only trained to a specifc number that relates to the top 10, or top 100 in many listings ...

So, as the saying goes ... long live the kind ... drink to his health ... and go enjoy some new music! You can do that with Beethoven and Mozart, right? So, why not RUSH? Doesn't mean you don't enjoy them ... unless ... well, that's another story!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 09:19
Here's a radical idea, I'll enjoy Rush while still seeking out new music. Shocking, I know.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 15:22

This is for everybody here: If you haven't read Wakeman's two autobiographical Grumpy Old Rock Star books, do so. Some of the stories are LOL-funny, like his projectile-vomiting (former) guitarist Anthony, his backyard DIY disasters, the incredible saga of his pub mate who became his tour manager, the marathon-farting his N.E.R.E. band engaged in during a bus ride across a treacherous bridge in Costa Rica (which pissed off the driver royally). And then there's the double heart attack Rick survived...at 26!!

I read both books quickly in succession. You won't be able to put them down.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 22:01

That "Roundtable Knights on the Ice"-show was also quite a happening...It would be marvelous, if there was a film about it, but I have doubts there isnīt...

That video does exist, and I have it. I ordered it on Amazon. Really, I thought it would be more impressive, but it's interesting to watch all the same. Also, there are some glitches, I think the Arthur song (my favourite one) is not complete, and some other things.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>