Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No more Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 22:38
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Yeah, it's a good story, but nowhere near as funny as all the "vegetarians" in Yes (minus Steve Howe, who's the real deal) "stopping by" Rick's dinner of choice meats to pick off it like raccoons going through your neighbors' trash.

You want funny? You should check out Wakeman's story about when he went onstage drunk. Actually, he was drunk since before the show, and started giving indications to different parts of the band. He told different people they would start with a different song. Now, I can try and recall the story, or you may look it up... it must be on video, actually, and much funnier told by Wakeman himself.

This is for everybody here: If you haven't read Wakeman's two autobiographical Grumpy Old Rock Star books, do so. Some of the stories are LOL-funny, like his projectile-vomiting (former) guitarist Anthony, his backyard DIY disasters, the incredible saga of his pub mate who became his tour manager, the marathon-farting his N.E.R.E. band engaged in during a bus ride across a treacherous bridge in Costa Rica (which pissed off the driver royally). And then there's the double heart attack Rick survived...at 26!!

I read both books quickly in succession. You won't be able to put them down.
Really hope those books are translated into Finnish!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 22:41

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Yeah, it's a good story, but nowhere near as funny as all the "vegetarians" in Yes (minus Steve Howe, who's the real deal) "stopping by" Rick's dinner of choice meats to pick off it like raccoons going through your neighbors' trash.

You want funny? You should check out Wakeman's story about when he went onstage drunk. Actually, he was drunk since before the show, and started giving indications to different parts of the band. He told different people they would start with a different song. Now, I can try and recall the story, or you may look it up... it must be on video, actually, and much funnier told by Wakeman himself.
That "Roundtable Knights on the Ice"-show was also quite a happening...It would be marvelous, if there was a film about it, but I have doubts there isn´t...

That video does exist, and I have it. I ordered it on Amazon. Really, I thought it would be more impressive, but it's interesting to watch all the same. Also, there are some glitches, I think the Arthur song (my favourite one) is not complete, and some other things.
So there is also something else to see as that steam from carbonic acid ice?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 21:24
^ Sorry, but, ???
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 22:53
^I read about the Yes book, that Wakeman wanted carbonic ice into the Arthur show, maybe about that steam to create atmosphere. But very soon there was so much steam in that hall that no-one sees nothing. Also he has taken care that skating performers have enough boose, so in the end because even performers didn´t see each others if they were in some distance they just lay in the ice and drink boose. Maybe there has been many shows and that one you have haven´t got that carbonic ice.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 00:21
so you say that Rush is no more, I knew that already. 
don't they deserve a break? 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 02:16
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I would say they most certainly deserve a break.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 11:54

^I read about the Yes book, that Wakeman wanted carbonic ice into the Arthur show, maybe about that steam to create atmosphere. But very soon there was so much steam in that hall that no-one sees nothing. Also he has taken care that skating performers have enough boose, so in the end because even performers didn´t see each others if they were in some distance they just lay in the ice and drink boose. Maybe there has been many shows and that one you have haven´t got that carbonic ice.

OK. I would have to put the DVD again... I think there might have been carbon-ice steam, but in general the performance can be apreciated very well. I wouldn't know if the skaters had boose, though. Still, I didn't see anything particularly flashy in the skating... not much dancing, mostly only skating around in arthurian costumes. Still a very interesting show to watch, if you can get it.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 12:14
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I would say they most certainly deserve a break.

I don't think anybody is saying they don't deserve a break. Hell, they can do whatever they please. However, a break is different from Rush is no more. A break implies that at some point they will be back. They've taken breaks in the past. However, "Rush is no more" is a lot different. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 12:40
^ I was only trying to get back on topic which I kinda managed to  LOL

It's not a surprise they called it quits. They've been making music for more than 40 years. Few bands last that long. And I don't think they'll come back like it was suggested, they're not into it only for the money.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 15:10

^ I was only trying to get back on topic which I kinda managed to  LOL

It's not a surprise they called it quits. They've been making music for more than 40 years. Few bands last that long. And I don't think they'll come back like it was suggested, they're not into it only for the money.

Some people on here don't seem to understand that though or just plain don't believe it. To be honest we won't know for sure for a while. I'd say if they haven't reunited in some form in say five years from now then it probably won't happen and they really meant it.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 16:15
It's not a matter of understanding or believing it.  I frankly don't care either way.  It's that rock history is undeniable combined with the fact that they will still be musicians, and after a time may want to make some music.  Together.

But whether they do or not, they've created more than enough of a legacy.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 22:24

OK. I would have to put the DVD again... I think there might have been carbon-ice steam, but in general the performance can be apreciated very well. I wouldn't know if the skaters had boose, though. Still, I didn't see anything particularly flashy in the skating... not much dancing, mostly only skating around in arthurian costumes. Still a very interesting show to watch, if you can get it.
LOL. Sure! Only Wakeman can have such an idea. In friday evenings I go to sauna and after that drinking some beers and watch videos from youtube. Have to look today, if there is some clips about that in YT.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 14:12
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I'm fine with Rush---have some of their albums but it's not like they were exploring new frontiers with their music----they certainly had a formula for making music and it has sort of run it's course----especially if Alex wants to collaborate with other artists and do something fresh and new and different.

I think they were quite groundbreaking for a while. I think A Farewell to Kings through to Moving Pictures inclusive were all groundbreaking albums. I can't think of anything by anyone else that sounds like music from the Hemispheres album, or anyone else who fused prog rock, with new wave in the way they did on MP and PW.

I thought they had run their course by Counterparts tbh, which I still think is a great album. Anything after that did little for me.

Cry
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 15:21
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

It's not a matter of understanding or believing it.  I frankly don't care either way.  It's that rock history is undeniable combined with the fact that they will still be musicians, and after a time may want to make some music.  Together.

Sure it is. Some people refuse to believe they are done and say things like "oh they'll be back just wait." It's like they are in denial. I've seen the same thing with Porcupine Tree fans who refuse to accept the fact that PT are done. In both cases you can say the nail is in the coffin(for lack of a better term). 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 18:31
Spoke to Geddy last month, he said to me that more Rush material should be expected...didn't say when, though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 19:35
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Spoke to Geddy last month, he said to me that more Rush material should be expected...didn't say when, though.

Really? 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 19:43
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Really? 

Unfortunately not, just a to AFKC
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 21:18
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Sure it is. Some people refuse to believe they are done and say things like "oh they'll be back just wait." It's like they are in denial. I've seen the same thing with Porcupine Tree fans who refuse to accept the fact that PT are done. In both cases you can say the nail is in the coffin(for lack of a better term). 

No denial here, just been around awhile and I know the score.   The "nail is in the coffin" until it gets pulled out and the body is zapped with electricity.   Maybe that will happen, maybe it won't.   History says it probably will.

But again, I really couldn't care less.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 22:51

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Really? 

Unfortunately not, just a to AFKC

Lol
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Crimsonsnowdog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crimsonsnowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 14:46
We've seen musicians such as King Crimson, Yes, The Rolling Stones, the Who, etc.. who are playing well into their seventies, because rock and roll is what they've always done, it gives them great excitement, and they can't seem to let it go. Though it's very possible that Rush has  decided to quit for good. I'm glad I was able to see them on their last tour. I can see Geddy Lee or Alex Lifeson putting out a solo album or playing with a side band and performing some live Rush.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>