Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No more Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No more Rush
    Posted: January 21 2018 at 20:15
Not sure if this has been mentioned on here yet or not but apparently Alex Lifeson made it official yesterday that Rush as band is done. Maybe Alex and Geddy will play together again. I personally can't see that not happening. Anyway, I guess we all saw this coming but it's good at least that it has finally been made official. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 23:20
Rush was great band, but I really understand it´s now their time to go.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 23:29
No real shock as they've seemed to be done, but I guess it's good to get the official word. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 23:32
F
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 05:34
It's a shame, but it was 'time'

No doubt there will be yet more DVD's, and re-issues/re-masters of all their albums still to come.

They were an excellent and unique band, and pretty much my introduction to prog rock, all those years ago.

Edited by Blacksword - January 22 2018 at 05:35
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 06:31
I hope these guys have a great retirement and spend some time really seeing the rest of the world instead of just passing through.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 06:33
Awesome, awesome band. Always changing, yet staying the same (it's a feeling, go with it). They were incredible live. I only regret my children weren't old enough to see them on the last tour.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 07:19
Yeah, Rush as an entity is most likely done. As much as I struggled with that idea 2+ years ago, I'm okay with it now. I just hope that Alex and Geddy get together at some point to do something.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 07:37
I'm fine with Rush---have some of their albums but it's not like they were exploring new frontiers with their music----they certainly had a formula for making music and it has sort of run it's course----especially if Alex wants to collaborate with other artists and do something fresh and new and different.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 11:45
Not a surprise, especially with the reports of Alex's arthritis and Neil's tendonitis.  These guys made the music world a much better place and made millions of people happy, what more could a musician hope to accomplish?  And no one could ever top Alex's R&RHoF acceptance speech LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zV4GaElko

Edited by The.Crimson.King - January 22 2018 at 11:46
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 12:39
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I'm fine with Rush---have some of their albums but it's not like they were exploring new frontiers with their music----they certainly had a formula for making music and it has sort of run it's course----especially if Alex wants to collaborate with other artists and do something fresh and new and different.

Maybe not towards the end but at one point they were. I don't think many bands were doing what they were doing in the mid to late seventies(ie combining heavy/hard rock/proto metal with prog rock). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 22 2018 at 12:39
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 12:42
A sad moment - but not unexpected. The last tour had a 'farewell' feel to it and with the health issues etc. I think it's probably the right time. I'd have loved them to have come over to the UK to say goodbye one last time, but c'est la vie! One more studio album would have been nice, but I suppose 'Clockwork Angels' wasn't too bad a send off in hindsight. Good luck guys - and thanks for those great moments! Taking my 'All the Worlds A Stage' gatefold sleeve album to school to tell my friends of this band from Canada I'd discovered, was a great moment I'll never forget!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 13:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Maybe not towards the end but at one point they were. I don't think many bands were doing what they were doing in the mid to late seventies(ie combining heavy/hard rock/proto metal with prog rock). 

Yeah, I don't buy that opinion that Rush never broke any new musical ground. One of the reasons why their music never made major inroads into the mainstream was that it was, in Geddy's words, weird. Let's face it. Rush's music was a bit odd, especially in the 70s. No one was making music that sounded like Rush.  

My face IS a maserati
Einwahn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einwahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 13:59
For me, their final three albums formed a trilogy that represented their best work. A truly great band.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 19:40
No surprise statement from Alex, wonder how much the other two agree. A statement from Neil is what is missing on his ability to play or not at the level he usually does.
I always thought another 1-2 studio albums might come out but for sure no more monster world wide tours, the world knows who they are.
They created their own genre it seems, Rush music. I've seen them many many times since the late 70's so I cannot complain. For my wife and I they remain the best rock shows we have been to, we were fortunate to take our kids to 2 of their last tours, so the family circle is compete.

I have records, cassettes, 8-tracks, posters, CDs, VHS, DVDs, BR, books, magazines of the 3 amigos so I have much to remember them by.

Quite simply they are one of the greatest progressive rock groups of the past 40 years. I hope they are able to enjoy their families.
Look forward to any project work they release.....
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 05:56
Originally posted by Einwahn Einwahn wrote:

For me, their final three albums formed a trilogy that represented their best work. A truly great band.

Wow, you may be in an extreme minority with that opinion. 

My face IS a maserati
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 05:58
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

No surprise statement from Alex, wonder how much the other two agree. 

I wonder about this as well, although I don't suppose it matters much anymore

My face IS a maserati
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 21:08
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I wouldn't really say I totally agree, but at least the very last two are great indeed, up there with anything else they might have done before, and a wonderful way to end their career... specially Clockwork Angels. Any band wishes their last work would be so good.
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 21:23
I think for Neil it was tendonitis. Didn't he already retire from touring? He lives in Los Angeles permanently now, I understand.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 07:45
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I wouldn't really say I totally agree, but at least the very last two are great indeed, up there with anything else they might have done before, and a wonderful way to end their career... specially Clockwork Angels. Any band wishes their last work would be so good.

Clockwork Angels I would agree with. Snakes & Arrows not so much. 

My face IS a maserati
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>