Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFrequent SQL Server Errors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frequent SQL Server Errors
    Posted: January 25 2018 at 06:50
Tech bumf here. 

https://sqlbak.com/academy/transaction-process-id-was-deadlocked-on-lock-resources-with-another-process-and-has-been-chosen-as-the-deadlock-victim-msg-1205/

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 06:49
Ex database administrator here (admittedly on Oracle, not SQL Server, same principle).

This is a temporary error which should resolve itself given time. Basically, a query to a database table has failed, the table data (ie the page, a comment, whatever) ends up locked. This means that SQL Server thinks it's been looked at or updated at the moment, so the data is locked until the (supposed) update finishes. Actually, it never will as the data update has failed. 

Anyway, after a certain period there's a background process which resolves the lock. OR in nasty cases, it can stay locked until the next reboot. Nothing you can do about it, the database for the site won't be monitored by the ISP. Just wait. 

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 09:12
The same for me, even on pages that are rarely queried. Not a showstopper, just slightly annoying. One or two retries will do.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 08:53
For the last few days, I've been getting an error when trying to load some pages in PA...

------
Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0 error '80004005'

Transaction (Process ID 139) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

/artist.asp, line 13

------

It usually happens when I click a link to a band page or a specific album.  I have to try 2 or 3 times to reload before the page comes up.

What's going on?
 Post Reply Post Reply