Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre most prog lovers musicians ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are most prog lovers musicians ?
    Posted: March 04 2018 at 09:52
I play drums, guitar, piano, bass, other percussion
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 09:12
I don't know if most are but at least half seem to be.
Henri View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 03:49
I know how to play the MacGyver theme on harmonica... if I have the tabs for it. I earned a couple of euros once playing it on the street at night. So, yeah, I'm getting there.

Seriously, sometimes I wonder if I could get even more out of music if I knew something about the theory/technical aspects. But in the end I don't think it would make much difference in the enjoyment.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 08:08
Hi,

Had our family been able to continue some music and piano lessons in my early days, I doubt I would be talking/writing here. I don't see the point many times, and it is difficult quite often not to say something rude or not cool when typing here.

Artie Shaw once told a student, that if he wants to be a genius and an artist, that you need to find a genius and an artist and stick with him, so you can learn.

And, sometimes, this is where most of us fail. The musicians that took it up and stayed were not afraid of practice, and other learning possibilities with the music. And, in the case of our generation, it was curious enough to want to do something else that had not been done before, that according to the history of Europe after the war, was a general reaction to the social environments that helped the war along, and specially how so many people stopped caring.

Our generation stood up!

And it will be remembered for a long time to come for all its music, art and literature, which, for the most part is not something that we seem to have the ability to discuss very well.

I doubt that most "prog lovers" are musicians, and vice versa. I am a musician at heart and mind, in that you can put on any piece of music and I can fly forever off it. I've been told, before, that I was a natural musician, if there ever was a chance of me learning music ... which I would likely revolt against ... and then do something else with it!

I read a lot of biographies, and the thing that stands out the most ... is ... its about the individuality of the person, and how far they take it and express themselves with it ... and I think that too many of us quit way too soon to get any further. Like I got a wife and kid now and have to go cook at $10 bux an hour to pay rent .... etc, etc ... and sometimes the difference is that the "musician" or "artist" did not do that, even if it caused personal issues with family and friends ... and this is common in almost all the artists that "made it".

It's an interesting question, for sure, however, I'm not sure that the answer can be properly articulated. Some of the folks here, that are professional musicians, and get paid for it, will likely tell you ... they never quit on their instruments and inner person. 

This makes, many of us, btw, just frustrated musicians that could not do it, and it is where some of the dislikes come from. I simply do not use these "dislikes" as any part of my writing and thoughts ... I love music too much, and at 67, it does not matter if I am a musician or a writer ... I'm living within myself!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2018 at 12:40
I have an amateur prog band going (my avatar is our band logo) where I sing, play keyboards and write most of the music and lyrics. While it is probably an overstatement that most prog lovers are musicians, it seems true that many are. Prog has indeed often been called "musicians' music".

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 05:34
I was a prog fan before I picked up my first guitar.  I have never gone out and performed.  I just play for my own enjoyment.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 08:00
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I'm a bass player. I think being a musician helps you to appreciate the skill of prog musicians, but it's not essential.

I think being a "bad" musician makes you appreciate their skills even more.  Having played rudimentary drums in my youth, I am absolutely astounded at watching what drummers like Manuel Pasquinelli (Sonar, Switzerland) or Adam Marko (Special Providence, Hungary) can do.  Friends of mine, who never played drums, listen to their music and say "What's so special? Is that really hard to play or something?".

tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 07:37
Don't play a note. Ok, was pretty good at the piccolo 40 years ago.    Love prog. My kids play multiple instruments but hate my music.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 12:37
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

2 dogs were walking in the park and the first dog says, "Wow, I just learned calculus".  The other dog says, "Wow...a talking dog" Tongue

Good one, Crimson King!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 02:59
In Finland people generally doesnīt go to watch unknown bands anymore. But when some popular artist that have just been in some reality tv program performs, there is of course house full.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 02:22
Originally posted by Skala Skala wrote:

What amazes me is that there are many people around me that can not even tell the diference between rock genres, let alone understand what prog is. So Deep Purple, Rush, Metallica or Psychotic Waltz - it is all the same to them.

^QFT. There are so many people like that in general.

Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Well I've been to a few prog rock shows where more people came to play that night than to listen!

Of course, that analogy is a bit silly... just because someone is in the audience one night doesn't mean they're not a musician.

Dude, in the states, this is not a joke. Most of the time at shows - unless you're on a big bill - 2/3 of the audience will be the other bands that night lol. New Hampshire is BRUTAL (especially Dover and Portsmouth area) for new bands. Nobody comes out anymore!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Skala View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 01:49
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

But when I said Pink Floyd one of them, he said "aa I have heard that band".

Yeah, I guess the more popular the artists, the more non-musician fans they have. For example, I've been to a couple of Fates Warning concerts -  shamefully small audience probably entirely consisiting of aspiring musicians. Dream Theater, on the other hand, gather larger crowds and I suspect most of them are not musicians. Pink Floyd probaly have even more 'random' fans, but I am not sure these fans like the proggier side of their music.

Edited by Skala - February 03 2018 at 01:50
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 22:31
Originally posted by Skala Skala wrote:

Almost all of the true prog fans I know personally are professional or amateur musicians. But I think it depends on the type of prog - some artists are far more accessible than others.

What amazes me is that there are many people around me that can not even tell the diference between rock genres, let alone understand what prog is. So Deep Purple, Rush, Metallica or Psychotic Waltz - it is all the same to them.

Itīs just because most of the people are not in music as you and I. Just met one of my friend, who really much is aware what is happening in the world (read a lots of newspapers etc.). Anyway he hasnīt ever heard about Morrisey and was wondering how I remember so much names in music. Itīs just what we are interested in this world. I know people of my age who hasnīt even heard term prog even they listened music. But when I said Pink Floyd one of them, he said "aa I have heard that band".
Skala View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 12:31
Almost all of the true prog fans I know personally are professional or amateur musicians. But I think it depends on the type of prog - some artists are far more accessible than others.

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 22:41
If I have understood right, progconcerts in today Finland there are just other progmusicians in audience (really not they canīt full the place). I am glad this wasnīt true when Magma came to Finland last year, the place was full and i donīt think they all were musicians.

Also, I really hope prog is coming a little bit more popular here too, I was really surprised when there has put progalbums in demostration in my hometown library. I was just wondering "is January progmonth?"
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 13:38
Well I've been to a few prog rock shows where more people came to play that night than to listen!

Of course, that analogy is a bit silly... just because someone is in the audience one night doesn't mean they're not a musician.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 13:04
Great to see a post from Peter^. 
At my previous job a new guy started, around 20 years old looked like a large Mennonite. Mumbled half the time but seemed to know a lot about most things, a book guy. Anyway he was into Classical music but also extreme metal so I lent him probably ten or so cds over time that I thought he'd like. His comment was that I must be a musician to like this kind of music so I get the question here but the answer is no you don't have to be a musician to love Prog although maybe it helps.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 17:32
Okay, face it: this is a silly question. It's a matter of numbers and statistics.
Look at any Prog concert, count the band members, then count the fans!

Most Prog lovers are FANS. It's so obvious, though I can't prove it to you.

And my theatre audience or classical audience analogy stands: it's not mostly other actors or violinists in the audience. Why would Prog rock be any different? Common sense: musicians are outnumbered by FANS.
Duh.

Whew! I'm okay now.
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 16:42
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

My dog loves catching a frisbee even though she doesn't understand Newton's Third Law of motion or the Bernoulli Principle Wink

Dude, my dog knows calculus, and it greatly improves his appreciation of the sport of frisbee! Wink LOL 

2 dogs were walking in the park and the first dog says, "Wow, I just learned calculus".  The other dog says, "Wow...a talking dog" Tongue

maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 15:50
I'm a amateur guitar player, electric, acoustic 6 & 12 strings and I'm Luhtier.
   but the "guilt "of my love or music is my Father, I grew up listening his collection of classical music and some others related music , Although he was a  public officer which never played any instrument, when I started listening progressive rock he sometimes listened with me ! 
I have some friends which not play nor a "neighbor bell", but are true prog lovers !!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>