Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat was the last genre you discovered?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What was the last genre you discovered?
    Posted: January 24 2018 at 09:39
And post a link to a song that exemplifies the genre.

Indie Electronic.

Nobody will judge you on how mainstream the genre is; at least I hope so.

Edited by condor - January 24 2018 at 09:53
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 10:15
Hopefully this thread will produce some good discoveries.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 10:34
Some time ago, I discovered psychedelic ambient, or "psybient".  Chief purveyors of this craft, IMO, are the band Shpongle, co-founded by Raja Ram of hippydom's psychedelic band Quintessence, who you will find listed in PA, along with Simon Posford (aka Hallucinogen) of electronic trance music.  I like to refer to the combination of these disparate genres as "techno-hippy".  Their music from the album "Tales of the Inexpressible" is very modern, but very prog, and very well crafted.  The song "Once Upon the Sea of Blissful Awareness" still ranks as one of my favorite female vocal performances of all time -- absolutely gorgeous.  Two pieces from that album are performed in the live video below.  See "Dorset Perception" at 8:55 and "Around the World in a Tea Daze" at 2:00:00.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 03:17
Apparently there's a thing called folk metal, which I only found out last week. There are some Viking-type bands that apparently do this but I can't remember any of their names.

I listened to some but didn't hear any folk in there, maybe I didn't get far enough.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 03:45
These genres confuse me!  Confused

Some of the genres have the same explaination after reading them...
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 03:47
Captain Beefheart Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 04:18
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

LOL
There are way too many microgenres these days, I most definitely agree. They can be of help if you read up on them and understand what you tend to like. That way it gets to be an easy route to recommendations. That is far and away the only reason they exist...that and of course creating a language amongst music fans so as they can better communicate with each other.
If we go back and just call music music, we'd end up getting everything from Willie Nelson to Slayer for Christmas. 'Yeah but you said you wanted some new music????'
I look at genres somewhat similar to colours: they're all part of the spectrum but look and feel slightly different to one another....and it'd be a pain in the ass having to specify anything remotely comprehensible if we can't distinguish between blue and red. Just like it some times pays to be able to describe music beyond music. There is a big difference between black metal and hip hop fx, and I very much believe a fan of either genre would be hugely disappointed in receiving an album from the opposite camp. 'I see you're a big Dr Dre fan there, which obviously must mean that you're a big music fan...so I got you this new Cradle Of Filth album. Enjoy.'

Alright I'll be serious for a bit: I think it pays to read up on music genres that pertain to the music one likes. It is quite simple. Look up any band you like. See the genre. Read about the genre. Listen to other bands inside the genre and possibly find a load full of new favourites. 
At some point things will start to make sense and you will effectively have gained a new way of findingnthe music you love.

It's only when people start to identify with the genres we get into trouble. People who look for tags and genre-boxes before they hear the music. Bands that before they find their own musical voice set out to play progressive metal, post-rock etc etc. The fans do this too and cling onto certain genres and scoff at pretty much anything that isn't pure hardcore-polka-dance-punk whathaveyou. 
Music first! Always! Then afterwards we can discuss how to file itBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 04:32
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

LOL
There are way too many microgenres these days, I most definitely agree. They can be of help if you read up on them and understand what you tend to like. That way it gets to be an easy route to recommendations. That is far and away the only reason they exist...that and of course creating a language amongst music fans so as they can better communicate with each other.
If we go back and just call music music, we'd end up getting everything from Willie Nelson to Slayer for Christmas. 'Yeah but you said you wanted some new music????'
I look at genres somewhat similar to colours: they're all part of the spectrum but look and feel slightly different to one another....and it'd be a pain in the ass having to specify anything remotely comprehensible if we can't distinguish between blue and red. Just like it some times pays to be able to describe music beyond music. There is a big difference between black metal and hip hop fx, and I very much believe a fan of either genre would be hugely disappointed in receiving an album from the opposite camp. 'I see you're a big Dr Dre fan there, which obviously must mean that you're a big music fan...so I got you this new Cradle Of Filth album. Enjoy.'

Alright I'll be serious for a bit: I think it pays to read up on music genres that pertain to the music one likes. It is quite simple. Look up any band you like. See the genre. Read about the genre. Listen to other bands inside the genre and possibly find a load full of new favourites. 
At some point things will start to make sense and you will effectively have gained a new way of findingnthe music you love.

It's only when people start to identify with the genres we get into trouble. People who look for tags and genre-boxes before they hear the music. Bands that before they find their own musical voice set out to play progressive metal, post-rock etc etc. The fans do this too and cling onto certain genres and scoff at pretty much anything that isn't pure hardcore-polka-dance-punk whathaveyou. 
Music first! Always! Then afterwards we can discuss how to file itBig smile

I'm a fan of most genres of music except for any types of metal music or sometimes heavy,  those guitar riff irritate me to bits..  

I'm a fan of Neo/Symphonic/Folk/Crossover/Jazz,  to me are pretty safe bets..  While other genres have pretty much confused me,  I generally go on the band and a good explaination on the PA site!...Wink Smile

While I have a lot of other genres from bands,  those tend to be hit or miss for me.

2 genres that I don't care for are Rio/Avant and Zeuhl  but I do have a couple of good bands from this genre of music.  

Edited by noni - January 25 2018 at 04:42
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 04:35
I havenīt listened much country in my life, so some years ago I started to listen Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash, almost listened all the Byrds albums through (earlier I prefer just their psychedelic era which means to me Fifth Dimension and Younger than Yesterday, it was really amazing to find out how great psychedelic album also Notorious Byrd Brothers was, one Finnish reviewer had fooled me).

Really havenīt ever been into HipHop, but I think maybe year ago I put one HipHop-album into my spotify albums, it was N.W.A Straight Outta Compton. Havenīt listened it much, but itīs still there.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 04:36
Prog Mental. I recommened Lady Beard and Savage Toast Prolapse.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 04:44
Alright I think I understand where you're coming fromSmile I certainly get why you feel confused by the above genres. If you're not interested in the music then why would you read up on it or learn about the genre? I feel the same about all things country...even if I know that there is faaar more to the genre than what I already know. Just doesn't interest me and the myriad of different genre tags would definitely confuse me.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 04:50
I think both Country and Rap music have progressed over the years,  country specially.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 04:59
The Genres that interested me the most are prog, psychedelic, blues, old Rīn`R, punk and new-wave. I like also some jazz, classic, country, instrumental, but in those genres there are only few artists I am interested. Also, I am not very interested new blues or R`n`R, also I think there are billions of old artists in those two genres I just havenīt got time to get familiar with. Not of course interest all the artist in any genre. I think there are also really many very boring prog artists.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 04:59
I haven't really ventured any further than Dolly Parton's Jolene, A Johnny Cash song here and there and the odd prog band that infuses a little country into their music. Bela Fleck and The Decemberists being two artists I remember doing this to great effect.
Hip Hop has gone far beyond it's initial beginnings. We even have a few albums here on PA featuring hip hop. Faust did a collab with Dälek a good while back fx. 
I remember Steven Wilson mentioned how rap in this moment in time is more innovative than rock...and I would have to agree with him in that there is more new ground to cover. Rock is an older genre and has been experimented with since the late 60s. Rap/hip hop is still young in comparison. Now whether one likes the music or not is beside the point.

- Douglas Adams
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 05:01
One Country recommendation:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCD9FA04CBE1EC4A0

Such a shame the whole album is not in spotify!
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 10:28
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Apparently there's a thing called folk metal, which I only found out last week. There are some Viking-type bands that apparently do this but I can't remember any of their names.

I listened to some but didn't hear any folk in there, maybe I didn't get far enough.

Maybe you're thinking of Progressive Viking Metal?  Here are a couple of (my favorite) pieces of a band called Lumsk. They are categorized here in PA as Prog Folk, which is rather generic.  Both pieces start out very Norwegian folksy, and the proggy/metal bits don't kick in until half way thru.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 00:59
Extreme Metal, sometime during 2014.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 13:17
Probably UK Garage, which I had been aware of, but only actually "discovered" around December 2017.

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
 Post Reply Post Reply