Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 02:31
With my phone.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 02:53
Seldom with pen or pencil. People are forgetting how to use them efficiently.......

The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 03:26
What a thread...
Had to check to see how I actually do it, it seems I support the back of my phone with my left and and then use the thumb of that hand for the left side of the keyboard and I use my right hand to support the edges of the phone while the index finger from that hand covers the right side of the keyboard. It feels really inefficient to use two thumbs, with both hands interlocked on the back of the phone, as the phone will just slip away when you hold it too vertically...
Oh wait, I mean, WITH WORDS! duh...
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 03:43
I can't use my thumbs. I only have an IPhone 4, and my thumgs are too big to be accurate. It's so bad even the predictive text can't figure out what I'm trying to type. I also have mild arthritis in my thumbs wich makes that difficult.

I tend to stab the screen with my right index finger when I text..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 04:43
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

What is swipe?
I just use my right index finger. I feel my thumbs are too big and not as exact.

It is slow, there are mistakes to fix, and I feel I have to get it right (I teach English).
I much prefer to actually talk on the phone for an exchange of any real length, and then you also get intimacy and tone of voice.

Even posting here on my IPhone (my computer is down) is laborious!

same generation, same issues.... I still prefer to talk than text.

And if I'm slightly faster texting from an old cell phone (with real KB) than a decade ago, I'm going nuts with the virtual KB of a smartphone (iPhone recently acquired - offered actually). I tried once posting from the phone and simply won't again.

If I'm going to keep the dumbphone, it will be more for other issues than communication (GPS, looking up addresses, pocket light or maybe camera) or movie schedules) out of the house. In other words, I'm not finding much use in my life for this tool. If I want to phone & text (in or out of the house), 
FTM, last w-e, I hadn't realized I forgot it at work until Sunday evening... I thought I'd lost it in the car.

I'll keep my old cell phone as long as I can
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 05:18
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

What a thread...
Had to check to see how I actually do it, it seems I support the back of my phone with my left and and then use the thumb of that hand for the left side of the keyboard and I use my right hand to support the edges of the phone while the index finger from that hand covers the right side of the keyboard. It feels really inefficient to use two thumbs, with both hands interlocked on the back of the phone, as the phone will just slip away when you hold it too vertically...
Oh wait, I mean, WITH WORDS! duh...
LOL
Such a strange thread. Sorta like having to describe how you ride your bike. 
Then again I am completely new to swipe. I thought it was something one did to clean up soiled baby bottoms.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 15:59
Just want to say a thank you to the people who gave real answers here. 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 19:49
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I've never texted and don't even own a cell phone.  My wife is in charge of that dept Wink

I don't think it's a good idea to not have a cell phone at all. What if your car stalls, or you need a new battery, or you get in an accident, or whatever. I know, a tough guy like you(even if badly hurt in the accident) will drag yourself to the nearest payphone.. oh wait  

Just cause I'm such a tough guy doesn't mean I'm stupid.  I borrow my wife's cell when I'm driving somewhere on my own LOL
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 20:54
^Good deal. 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 22:30

^Good deal. 

Handshake
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 23:15
I have an iPhone7 - I mostly use my index finger, sometimes I use dictate and actually kind of enjoy the punctuation thing once I figured it out. I used to text a lot from my computer but it's getting old and doesn't connect to the apple messages anymore. 

I'm 47 - I used to love talking on the phone through college and after (about 1995) - then for some reason I gradually stopped talking on the phone much over the next five years or so. Got my first cell phone in 2002 but rarely used it. By some point I realized that I had "phone phobia" - probably was running away from some things in my life but I don't think I'm alone. I would much rather email/text/ignore than talk on the phone. Once I'm on the phone I'm fine but I rarely initiate a phone conversation.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 23:38
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

I have an iPhone7 - I mostly use my index finger, sometimes I use dictate and actually kind of enjoy the punctuation thing once I figured it out. I used to text a lot from my computer but it's getting old and doesn't connect to the apple messages anymore. 

I'm 47 - I used to love talking on the phone through college and after (about 1995) - then for some reason I gradually stopped talking on the phone much over the next five years or so. Got my first cell phone in 2002 but rarely used it. By some point I realized that I had "phone phobia" - probably was running away from some things in my life but I don't think I'm alone. I would much rather email/text/ignore than talk on the phone. Once I'm on the phone I'm fine but I rarely initiate a phone conversation.

First, thank you for posting a serious response to my question here. They way this thread has gone that is certainly appreciated. You're definitely not alone in your phone phobia. I have a tendency to mumble when I talk and have been told many times to "speak up!" When I'm alone in my car I even practice talking like my brother, who's speech is clear as a bell(if anything he talks too loud at times). And that's great that you've got the dictate thing down, I'm still working on that one. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 06:46
with my vintage 00's flip phone... it is built like a tank...  has been stepped on, run over with a portable lift, blown up in an explosion, dropped from a concrete mixing tower a 100 feet in the air but it makes calls, accepts calls, and can text the wife...  and lie to her about how safe I'm being at work... that is all I need a phone for.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 12:31
^ Look out, Big Mick is back !!   
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 12:54

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I've never texted and don't even own a cell phone.  My wife is in charge of that dept Wink

I don't think it's a good idea to not have a cell phone at all. What if your car stalls, or you need a new battery, or you get in an accident, or whatever. I know, a tough guy like you(even if badly hurt in the accident) will drag yourself to the nearest payphone.. oh wait  

Somehow our species has survived tens of thousands of years without them. Even when the species has routinely tried to kill itself off.

I keep my phone with me (all my music is on it for one thing). But the best moments in life are when I am out of signal range.

And you don't need your own cell phone or a pay phone in an accident. Just take the phone from the driver in the other car that caused the accident because they were texting while driving.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 13:19
I despise texting. My daughter insists on texting me, and I'll return her text with a damn phone call.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 13:39
With my feet
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 15:11

Edited by YESESIS - January 30 2018 at 15:16
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 15:13
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

with my vintage 00's flip phone... it is built like a tank...  has been stepped on, run over with a portable lift, blown up in an explosion, dropped from a concrete mixing tower a 100 feet in the air but it makes calls, accepts calls, and can text the wife...  and lie to her about how safe I'm being at work... that is all I need a phone for.

Good to see you back buddy. Yeah, sounds like you got all you need right there. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 04:05
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

With my feet  sent from your iPhone using Tapaltalk

Sent from my PC using a real keyboard

Big smileTongueWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>