Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norwegian Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 10:35
Originally posted by Progfan97402 Progfan97402 wrote:

I have a few Terje Rypdal albums (as they're not impossible to find as they're on ECM), but they're more fusion, but I really dig a lot of those moody atmospheres he creates like on Odyssey.
Have you got those three earlier ECM-albums of his? Terje Rypdal, What Comes After and Whenever I Seem to be Far Away? Just curious because Odyssey seems to be a lot more known, but I guess I think these are all stronger albums (although I love that one as well). If you haven't you can start by streaming the glorious The Hunt from the latter album at his PA-page here

Edited by Saperlipopette! - February 02 2018 at 14:36
Progfan97402 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progfan97402 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 10:48
I do have Whenever I Seem to be Far Away, but I don't have the other two, but they are on my want list. Whenever I Seem to be Far Away is great. The first side is great fusion, with nice use of Mellotron by a member of Popol Vuh/Ace, the second side is orchestral. I also own After the Rain and Waves (and Odyssey as mentioned already) as well, but I know I needed more Terje Rypdal in my collection. The problem is I only find his albums used on occasions in nearby local record stores to where I live, but if I have to I'll order online.

Edited by Progfan97402 - February 02 2018 at 11:42
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 15:05
Ah, what is happening in Norway?!? 

My three top 2017 albums are from Norway (Wobbler, Motorpsycho, Jordsjo).

The band NEEDLEPOINT has been kicking around the ProgArchives teams and can't find a home. Their last album Aimless Mary in 2015 is one of my favorites of all time! (I can't wait for their new one to be released early 2018!)

Edited by Todd - February 08 2018 at 11:16
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 05:52
Needlepoint is very good! Some of Norway's fines musicians at work there. I love the warm sound, and Bjørn Klakegg's vocals is really laidback and cool. Christian Wallumrød, the keyboard player have contributed on a lot of albums, I especially like his work with Humcrush featuring Sidsel Endresen.

I'm still waiting for the compilation set by The Chronicles of Father Robin to come out, that 12 inch they released a few years ago is absolutely magical. The vocalist from Wobbler is delivering some amazing vocals on that record.

Elephant 9 with Reine Fiske (Dungen, Landberk etc.) is amazing as well, really dark and intense.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 09:25
A lot of happy discoveries ! Norwegian prog ? An old dream remains : I'd be more than happy to hear... Morten Harket's exceptionnal voice on a fitting solid prog song !!
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 12:44
Originally posted by dauinghorn dauinghorn wrote:

I'm still waiting for the compilation set by The Chronicles of Father Robin to come out, that 12 inch they released a few years ago is absolutely magical. The vocalist from Wobbler is delivering some amazing vocals on that record.

I would love that Chronicles of Father Robin set. Have you heard anything?

What's happening with the Ingelrii debut? What I've heard from them is excellent.

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 16:54
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

I would love that Chronicles of Father Robin set. Have you heard anything?

Unfortunately, there is no date on that release for now... But Andreas (from the band) has told me that the last bits is being finished now, so hopefully it will be ready soon. It will consist of material going back to the late 90s. Needless to say I'm very excited about this! Have you heard the songs on the EP?
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 17:17
^ Yes I have! On their website there are links to Soundcloud. They are excellent, especially the longer one. 

Then I went back and looked at your first post in the New in 2017 thread and saw you mentioned Ingelrii. I went to their Facebook page and listened to the videos they have there--another wonderful band!

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 04:21
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

^ Yes I have! On their website there are links to Soundcloud. They are excellent, especially the longer one. 

Then I went back and looked at your first post in the New in 2017 thread and saw you mentioned Ingelrii. I went to their Facebook page and listened to the videos they have there--another wonderful band!
Yes, it sounds really promising! No news of the album yet, but it looks like they recorded it in 2016, so hopefully it will be released this year. Some of the guys from Weserbergland, White Willow and Wobbler (session only) in the band.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 16:40
When I google this, it posts some information, but if you click on the artist hyperlink, it's obviously incorrect.. It's Scandinavian for sure, though.

Edited by MortSahlFan - March 05 2018 at 16:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 05:33
Karelia are from Finland, that is not Scandinavia.
progoma View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 10:41
^ thank you for pointing it out. Seems to be a very common misconception. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 05:56
You guys should check out the new Needlepoint album! In the same vein as the previous one, superb warm Canterbury-ish progrock!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 13:35
How about 1099 - post-rock from Trondheim. Their new album, Blindpassasjer, is more prog and instrumental pop than previous records. I'm loving it!!! And the new Tusmorke!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2018 at 07:03
Just added a new Jordsjø tune on bandcamp. Only digital release for now. It was supposed to be a part of the forthcoming "Nattfiolen" album, but was dropped for different reasons. New full length in April 2019.

https://jordsjo.bandcamp.com/track/nattfiolen-demo
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2018 at 08:33

obviously a matter of definition ...

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2018 at 08:36

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2018 at 08:40
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

obviously a matter of definition ...

In the industry I work in when we need to refer to Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Iceland collectively we call them the Nordic territories or Nordics. This seems to be understood by our customers and suppliers in those countries and upsets nobody (that I have encountered...).
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2018 at 08:59
^concerning the enclosed countries the term Scandinavia is not exactly defined, for what I know.
it depends, if you will refer either to cultural, historical, geological or geographical aspects

Edited by Rivertree - December 22 2018 at 08:59

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 06:55
would like to bump this a bit as I stumbled upon so many fantastic bands from that country this year Clap

Edited by Rivertree - December 24 2018 at 06:56

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>