Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norwegian Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 16:47
Has it really been over a year since this thread saw the light of day?

Great new albums out this year from Motorpsycho, Wobbler, Ring Van Möbius...

What others?
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 16:58
Elds Mark first sprang to my mind. Awesome stuff!
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 11:18
^ Wow how did that slip by me? That's excellent stuff! And by our friends from Jordsjo I understand... Not surprising how good it is!

My Gnosis Ratings

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 11:39
I like this brand new song from the Norwegian fjords.....

Leaves' Eyes - Dark Love Empress

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 11:46
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I like this brand new song from the Norwegian fjords.....

Leaves' Eyes - Dark Love Empress

except that it's not prog. LOL
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 13:45
Arabs in Aspic with another good one

https://arabs.bandcamp.com/album/madness-and-magic

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 13:47
Here's that new Ring Van Mobius, channeling VDGG

https://ringvanmbius.bandcamp.com/album/the-3rd-majesty

My Gnosis Ratings

Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 17:08
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Here's that new Ring Van Mobius, channeling VDGG
on their previous release - yes. The new one though is a ELP/Atomic Rooster-worship, too many lenghty organ solos, not the best songwriting
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 17:19
Speaking of underrated Norwegian prog, these guys deserve an extra mention -
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Gargamel

Very dark and intense, VDGG fans take notice

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 11:39
From this year:

Edited by Mascodagama - November 08 2020 at 11:40
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
phlake View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phlake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 11:28
Tomas, the drummer of Motorpsycho plays in a band called "The MaxX" (not to be confused with other artists with the same name). It's semi-instrumental jazz/prog with a lot off odd time signatures and amazing musicians. They're usually a trio, but here's a video clip of them together with Trondheim jazz orchestra.

Another great progband from Norway (unfortunately no longer active) is Anti-Depressive Delivery. They are more "classic" prog. Currently not available for streaming :/
dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 08:14
Actionfredag just recorded their debut album (in just three days!). Young, fresh and impressive Jazzrock in the vein of Samla Mammas Manna, Hatfield & The North and such, with that "nordic" folky hint that we all love. Hopefully it will be released first half of 2021.

New Needlepoint album is also finished, looking very much forward to hear that one! I simply love their last two albums. And WIZRDs album! Lots of great stuff awaits in 2021.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 17:10
Originally posted by dauinghorn dauinghorn wrote:

Actionfredag just recorded their debut album (in just three days!). Young, fresh and impressive Jazzrock in the vein of Samla Mammas Manna, Hatfield & The North and such, with that "nordic" folky hint that we all love. Hopefully it will be released first half of 2021.

New Needlepoint album is also finished, looking very much forward to hear that one! I simply love their last two albums. And WIZRDs album! Lots of great stuff awaits in 2021.

Thanks for the update! Needlepoint is excellent, can't wait for that.

I'm listening as I write this to the Chronicles of Father Robin EP Twilight Fields. Any update on them that you know of?

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 06:24
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Thanks for the update! Needlepoint is excellent, can't wait for that.

I'm listening as I write this to the Chronicles of Father Robin EP Twilight Fields. Any update on them that you know of?

Sorry, no. I think the music is quite finished, but they are working on how to release and fund it. I think Andreas thought about a crowd-funding thing. I can't wait to hear the music! They released something on a small compilation CD which were made for Wobbler and Jordsjø gigs in Italy 2018. I'll see if I can find it...
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 06:40
Anti-Depressive Delivery

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 17:47
Holy sh*t! The new Needlepoint single is total killer. Amazing vocals, beautiful chord progressions, lovely instrumentation... Superb! This will certainly be one of my favorites from 2021.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7Kkd2GzJefNjQKiCo58V1m?si=kXB6_VDkRq-aYdp47bHJ3w
https://youtu.be/FyWF3tLQzx0
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 21:12

Holy sh*t! The new Needlepoint single is total killer. Amazing vocals, beautiful chord progressions, lovely instrumentation... Superb! This will certainly be one of my favorites from 2021.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7Kkd2GzJefNjQKiCo58V1m?si=kXB6_VDkRq-aYdp47bHJ3w
https://youtu.be/FyWF3tLQzx0

Fabulous! I love this band!

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 17:37

My Gnosis Ratings

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 07:06
Has anyone here heard Master Oogway?  Their latest album Earth and Other Worlds is brought to us by Rune Grammofon who have released a number of great new jazzy proggy releases in recent years.  Here is bandcamp page with an album from 2018.  The Concert Koān | Master Oogway (bandcamp.com)

I'm listening to the new album on Spotify.  I'm not sure if there are any other on-line links to their music but I think fans of Elephant9 type music will appreciate this.  Lots of sax.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 08:23
I just discovered Laughing Stock, brooding stuff indeed. Tammatoys, very good too. Also another interesting band is 35 Tapes. Otherwise Pymlico keeps on giving 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>