28 [49.12%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 05:34
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Why ?   Why ? ...........
............all the hate for ‘Onion’ ???
Yeah, every man and his dog played keyboards throughout, but man, most songs kick ass !!

A couple of songs are quite good, but it's a very uneven and 'hurried' album. When you consider the talent that was present in the studio, the output was not even as good as Drama. Wakemen said it was the first Yes album he'd been involved with where the producer and numerous contributors were on the page of "Yeah, that'll do" instead of "Hmm, that could be better, let's do it again"

The first fhree tracks are memorable for me, although Lift me Up sounds like a cheesy John Farnham B side, after that the whole thing fizzles out. An album for the sake of it IMO, although apparently the tour was excellent.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 06:04
^ f**k me !! You’ve heard of Johnny Farnham .....?!   Sorry, but he is a f**kWIT !! And Onion. No matter how lame it may be for a lot of folks, can not be compared to Whispering Jack.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 06:30
^sorry if I woke your big emotions with my Beatles thread.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 06:45
^ I haven’t lost my sh*t !! Just some things make me shake my head. And not in an Anthrax sort of way......no harm done. No harm intended. I happen to dig the most ‘uncoolest’ of bands ever - Kajagoogoo. I sport a strong collection of vinyl from these guys.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 06:50
Trespass for me
Prog On!
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 08:25
Islands.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 08:31
Islands. It's not close.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 08:52
Crim'
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 13:57
Trespass 4.5*
Islands 2*
Union 1.5*
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 14:47
 I actually like several tracks on Union, even though it was butchered in production. It's no Close To The Edge, but it has moments.

Edited by Argo2112 - January 31 2018 at 14:48
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 19:04
Surprisingly tough to choose between Islands & Trespass...today it's Trespass though tomorrow could be the other way around Wink
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 20:06
Islands........
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 22:17
Trespass I guess. It's the most consistently good album of the 3. Though my favourite tracks from any of these albums would be from Union: I Would have Waited Forever, Sock to the System, and The More we Live.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 12:13
Islands and Trespass
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 15:29
KC
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 16:08
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

An album for the sake of it IMO, although apparently the tour was excellent.

I saw the Union tour at the Oakland Arena.  It wasn't so much that it was musically excellent, but historically excellent.  Just seeing all those guys up there together made me feel like the night was a celebration of the entire history of Yes...and us Yes fans.  There were a few awkward moments, usually between Howe and Rabin over who was going to play what and who was going to stand down and watch the other, but on the whole everybody played nice and it was a historic show.

The best moment of the night was a tie.  First was getting to see Bruford & Squire play the middle section to Heart of the Sunrise together for the 1st time since 1972.  Awesome, especially since for most of the night Alan White handled the proper "drumming" while Bruford added percussion, but for the drum & bass part of Sunrise, they switched up.  The other highlight was the Bruford/White drum duet.  I had always found the Genesis Phil Collins/Chester Thompson duets beginning in the late 70's to be rather boring and not very innovative, where the Bruford/White duet really stretched some boundaries. 

The worst moment of the night was seeing Tony Kaye rather than Patrick Moraz walk onstage.  Tony wasn't bad or anything and he was the obvious choice because of the Yes West/Yes East merge that became Union, but it would have been amazing to have seen Wakeman & Moraz on the same stage trading MiniMoog solos or maybe both taking a turn at the Close to the Edge hammond solo so many Yes fans think Moraz ruined night after night in '75 and '76 LOL
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 16:12
Trespass by quite a distance. Islands and Union have their moments, but as a whole, Trespass works well as prototype Genesis. Nothing comes close to "Stagnation'' amongst all the songs.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 21:50
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

The worst moment of the night was seeing Tony Kaye rather than Patrick Moraz walk onstage.  Tony wasn't bad or anything and he was the obvious choice because of the Yes West/Yes East merge that became Union, but it would have been amazing to have seen Wakeman & Moraz on the same stage trading MiniMoog solos or maybe both taking a turn at the Close to the Edge hammond solo so many Yes fans think Moraz ruined night after night in '75 and '76 LOL
I have read somewhere that Kaye´s skills were so bad that time that he even not played really on that tour. That it was someone else who played his parts back of the stage.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 02:14
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I have read somewhere that Kaye´s skills were so bad that time that he even not played really on that tour. That it was someone else who played his parts back of the stage.

I heard the same, and I wish it was Wakeman instead as well lol. I love watching stuff on YouTube from that tour, though. There are some really powerful, arena-ready songs on that record. 1991 was such a weird year for music in general.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 11:36
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I heard the same, and I wish it was Wakeman instead as well lol. I love watching stuff on YouTube from that tour, though. There are some really powerful, arena-ready songs on that record. 1991 was such a weird year for music in general.

Tony was kind of embarrassing to watch that night...he kept doing this silly move where he'd run his hands down the whole keyboard and end with a half jumping flourish.  After a few of these my wife leaned over and said, "wow, that guy with the white hair is really a showman".  I replied: It's easy to be a showman when you're not really doing anything hard...if you want to see the keyboard parts that matter watch the blond guy with the cape LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>