Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGentle Giant - In A Glass House

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What's your favorite track?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [17.14%]
2 [5.71%]
4 [11.43%]
4 [11.43%]
0 [0.00%]
19 [54.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 11:50
Lullaby and Way of Life tied.  Very difficult to tell until they add the missing line(s) on central 3/2-4/2 part of the Runaway ! I'm waiting.

Edited by jayem - February 05 2018 at 12:35
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 12:17
In a glass house
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 12:30
Way Of Life
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 02:55
Sad to see A Reunion at this stage has yet to receive a vote. I (mostly) love Kerry Minnear's ballady type tunes and this is no exception. But I have already voted for the title track.
Mista-Gordie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 15:34
I love the title track just as much as Experience, though I voted for the latter as I saw it had so few votes. That's odd, I thought it was one of their biggest classics.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 04:16
Oh yes, that riff. Superb album. I'm only picking a favourite cause I have no choice...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 04:25
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I rarely listen to GG post-Octopus though.

I don't get this!^ Please explain why. Octopus is where they start getting great!
Imo early GG is genuinely playful, mind-expanding and full of atmosphere + warmth mm... Post Octopus they come across as more forced, clinical or sterile and even stressed. The music doesn't really float along anymore - it sounds like the constructions they are. Complexity for complexity's sake is pointless to me. That said I still treasure all their album 1970-76, but prefer 1970-72.

This is pretty much how I feel. I span TPatG here the other day and couldn't wait for it to finish. AtT though rocked my socks off.

As for the poll? Title track of course.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 06:03

Post Octopus they come across as more forced, clinical or sterile and even stressed. The music doesn't really float along anymore - it sounds like the constructions they are. Complexity for complexity's sake is pointless to me.

It would makes sense for a drummer to tidy up this elusive counterpoint chit chat with straightforward heavy blows... I would have prefered the drums to have played more along with unexpected hits, with more contrasting dynamics, but Mr Weathers had clearly made his choice there !

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

You mean the title track flows better than the others ?

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 09:25

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I rarely listen to GG post-Octopus though.

I don't get this!^ Please explain why. Octopus is where they start getting great!
Imo early GG is genuinely playful, mind-expanding and full of atmosphere + warmth mm... Post Octopus they come across as more forced, clinical or sterile and even stressed. The music doesn't really float along anymore - it sounds like the constructions they are. Complexity for complexity's sake is pointless to me. That said I still treasure all their album 1970-76, but prefer 1970-72.

This is pretty much how I feel. I span TPatG here the other day and couldn't wait for it to finish. AtT though rocked my socks off.

As much as I LOVE TPatG, I can't argue that it seems a bit sterile and clinical in its approach, albeit an awesome approach. A little too stiff at parts, despite having one of my favorite Gentle Giant (and bass warm up) tracks "Cogs in Cogs".

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 10:10
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

Post Octopus they come across as more forced, clinical or sterile and even stressed. The music doesn't really float along anymore - it sounds like the constructions they are. Complexity for complexity's sake is pointless to me.

It would makes sense for a drummer to tidy up this elusive counterpoint chit chat with straightforward heavy blows... I would have prefered the drums to have played more along with unexpected hits, with more contrasting dynamics, but Mr Weathers had clearly made his choice there !

You mean the title track flows better than the others ?

Nahh I just dig the riff like so many other folks in here.
Don't get me wrong, the whole 'Robin Hood on pcp' IS Gentle Giant...but on those early albums they spliced it up with a groove and warmth that somehow made the albums creep down in my panties. The latter output, to me, feels more like Robin Hood on pcp with ocd. I imagine the studio looking like a general 1970s studio during the first leg of their existance...and something taken directly out of Sherwood forest and dropped into a laboratory with big spectacled scientists weaving around doing odd measurements and calculations on the second....which actually sounds pretty interesting to these ears...it just never really speaks to me like their earlier albums did.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 11:48

...but on those early albums they spliced it up with a groove and warmth that somehow made the albums creep down in my panties.

Ah yes they sound warmer indeed... And the lush mellotron added some fresh air...
"PCP" ? Khm... Good
ClosetothSupperBrick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 17:49
Definitely "In a Glass House". I have tried other songs on this album, but they just don't "click" for me. IAGH has that special something that makes it memorable enough that I can recall many melodies from it, while the other songs I have no recollection of whatsoever.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 18:46
Originally posted by ClosetothSupperBrick ClosetothSupperBrick wrote:

Definitely "In a Glass House". I have tried other songs on this album, but they just don't "click" for me. IAGH has that special something that makes it memorable enough that I can recall many melodies from it, while the other songs I have no recollection of whatsoever.

It's perfect (the title track). The way the keys parallel when the rock riff kicks in is pure bliss. THAT'S progressive rock for me, perhaps the very apex or epitome of it. A lot of bands are progressive, but they forget the rock portion. GG nails it here (and usually elsewhere).

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12