Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fifty Year Friday

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fifty Year Friday
    Posted: February 03 2018 at 12:39
Looking for any feedback on my blog that anyone is generous enough to provide.  Currently acknowledging albums that were released approximately fifty years ago today.  These include concept albums like the original Nirvana 1967 concept album or David's Axelrod's Mass in f minor written for the Electric Prunes but actually mostly performed by studio musicians.

My viewpoint, reflected in the blog to some extent, is that progressive music is music that extends the boundaries of the current music of that time.  To that end, I believe that groups like 1967 Doors or 1967 and 1968 Jimi Hendrix Experience are more entitled to be called Progressive Rock than groups that came decades later that imitated the classic 1970's progressive rock groups.  Thoughts?

Appreciate any thoughts on your favorite albums of fifty years ago and your musical as well as progressive rock preferences.

And so you also know a little about my musical preferences, I am a big fan of Gentle Giant, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Beethoven, Bach, and Chopin.

Edited by Proprog - February 03 2018 at 15:17
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 18:45
nice blog... and other than 5/4 Brubeck error (it was in 9/8)  excellent review of DavJack... the first true progressive rock album indeed.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Proprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 07:44
Micky,

Thanks!

Thanks for catching the mistake --  Yes, I know it is in 9/8 -- guess the typing and the brain weren't aligned -- maybe I had Take 5 on my mind...

Have changed to mostly 9/8 -- and caught another typo.   I often type these up to auto-post, planning to proofread again before they do auto-post -- and even when I do proofread, I read too fast to catch all the errors.

Appreciate you visiting.  That first Nice album is quite something and really is in the forefront of pushing the boundaries of the rock music of that time.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 07:50
hahah...  I THOUGHT you might had mistaken Take 5 for Blue Rondo.

no problem on the visit... I love music blogs.  My wife does one, I don't have the time or temperment for it, too much work. But LOVE seeing others. It is a lot of work, a labor of love, to do one well.  Always like to give shout outs to those I really like.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 14:07
Impressive musicologic article, great bits of history there.   Love the judge in the Spirit/Zeppelin case, he got it right and seemed to understand both the subtleties and complexities of composing popular music.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Proprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 09:50
I know Electric Bath is not rock, but jazz, but could it be considered an honorary progressive rock album?

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 16:48
ummm... I like the way your mind thinks

Though one might still go back a few years and consider Stan Kenton....
Proprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 08:12
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Though one might still go back a few years and consider Stan Kenton....

Micky,

Yes!!  Very much so!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 08:50
Thumbs Up in fact Kenton goes on next here. Been a long time since I've spun a Kenton disk...
Proprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 10:51
Overcast's "proto-prog" debut: http://zumpoems.com/2018/03/30/fifty-year-friday-overcast/

Edited by Proprog - April 01 2018 at 10:56
Proprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 08:08
Does anyone else see similarities in this album to later Kayak and Supertramp albums?

I really like Argent's simple yet very effective keyboard work
Proprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 15:58
I think one can safely class Silver Apples as a truly progressive rock band -- the production quality of their first album leaves much to be desired -- but they are truly ahead of the curve with their first album: https://zumpoems.com/2018/06/01/fifty-year-friday-silver-apples/
 Post Reply Post Reply