Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgenesis (a trick of the tail)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: genesis (a trick of the tail)
    Posted: February 05 2018 at 15:24
Trick of the tail ,is easily one of the best albums after the departure of peter Gabriel the opening track DANCE ON A VOLCANO is stirring in grandeur the epic tony banks MAD MAD MOON is great very tailored to the theme of the record and of RIPPLES has a very strong guitar work of Steve hackett the only two songs i was not a big fan of was ,ROBBERY,ASSAULT AND BATTERY because seemed to be akin THE BATTLE OF EPPING FOREST felt out of place on the other hand the finale LOS ENDOS after repeated listens the drums of phil collins is simply too amazing for words ,all in all a rather epic return of the band minus a crucial member. thank you for taking the time to read grant
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 16:25
Yeah, it's one of their best albums period. Dance on a Volcano, Squonk, Ripples. The whole album is really good and special actually. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 17:30
Holy mother of god you've got to go faster than that to get to the top!

Arguably their best album with Phil on vocals. Sure, the later stuff beat it out sales-wise, but we all know that's not what makes great prog!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 19:17
Trick was my 1st Genesis album...bought it for $2 from a non-prog fan friend who hated it...one of the best prog bargains I ever got!  Dropping the needle on Dance on a Volcano was a magical experience.  I'd agree it's their best with Phil on vocals...the whole album really feels like they knew they had something to prove.  Favorite track is Mad Man Moon (one of Banks greatest compositions)...least fave is the title cut which is a bit twee - though the chorus is nice LOL

Christmas night '76 the local rock radio station played a radio simulcast of the earlier 4/13/76 show in Pittsburgh that is incredible.  Luckily I had my brand new 8 track tape deck ready and recorded the whole show.  Bruford + Collins was amazing.  Cool that the whole concert has been uploaded to youtube at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qADd3LvSLyQ

Edited by The.Crimson.King - February 05 2018 at 19:18
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 20:07
Classic stuff.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 20:11
Definitely one of the best !!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 00:11
A great album and one of my favourites - definitely the best one with Phil taking the lead vocals. Entangled, Squonk (must be played in that order, as the last note of the former always makes me expect the latter to kick in!)' Ripples, Mad Man Moon, and the sublime Los Endos are the stars, but Trick of the Tail and Dance on a Volcano provide good support too. Only Robbery, Assault and Battery ever looked like the runt of the pack, but it still has a 'music hall' charm to it and always worth a smile when performed live. Add the vinyl cover design and lyrics - which I'd pour over repeatedly while giving it a spin on the turntable back in the day - and you have a classic that they couldn't quite recapture on Wind and Wuthering (although they came close in places).
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 01:12
Trick was the first Genesis album I actually bought. It was and still is a special album for me.

The quality of the songs, the production and the artwork make it possibly THE best Genesis album, from whatever era of the band. Despite the loss of Gabriel, the album sold very well in Europe reaching No 3 in the UK album charts. The music press had written the band off, then they came back with this.

When I first heard Dance on a Volvcano on a late night radio rock show, when I was about 15, and figured out from the Collins vocals that "this must be Genesis" my lifelong fanboy obessession with the band begun!

I would say Trick is close to being a masterpiece.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 02:09
Great album!
lostrom
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 03:11
I have never been very excited about after Gabriel Genesis-period. But Trick, Wind & Wuthering and Duke have been quite equal favourites from that period.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 03:15
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

Trick of the tail ,is easily one of the best albums after the departure of peter Gabriel
It is THE album after the Gabe Man's departure. Obviously, they never topped it.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 04:45
Best non Gabriel album.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 09:09
Trick of the Tail is one of my top two Genesis albums along with SEBTP.
 Great stuff!

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 13:48
Wonderful album, yes. I always felt Dance on a Volcano lacked something. Something about it just doesn't punch through with me; the usual dramatic quality I expect is lacking. I do like Battle of Epping Forest, but I don't like Robbery Assault and Battery because of the commerciality of the refrain intended to get under your skin, the silly rhyme in the refrain and title, the overall lack of sardonic wit, and the absence of beautiful chests. Entangled is fabulous. Ripples has a great guitar lead with Hackett getting backward notes mainly through technique. Mad Man Moon has great lyrics and great work with the keys. Trick of the Tail I always found to be a pleasing and well constructed Pop song that told a very effective story. Los Endos is magnificent, but too short to be equal to its experience. They should have crimped on something else (e.g. part of Squonk) to allow a little more time to dedicate to it.

Edited by HackettFan - February 06 2018 at 13:50
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 14:27
Best Genesis line-up.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 15:09
Everything I feel about this lp has already been eloquently stated and there is little I can add; it was my first Genesis lp too and very special to me also for that reason. The sound and the production has a, deliberately, intimate and 'live in a small room' feel which I think is a reaction to the way 'the lamb' was put together and perhaps to recapture a little hint of the 'Trespass' atmosphere. The only slight down-side is that tracks like 'Dance on a volcano', 'Robbery assault and battery' and 'Los endos' slightly lack the wack in the studio which they easily attained when played live.

FalconBleck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 05:44
I have heard many people say that "A Trick of the Tail" is second to "Selling England by the Pound", i agree with that opinion at least in terms of consistency, both albums surprise at every song, every song is perfect, the whole album can be listened without a song feeling out of place.

But still, for me the best album is Nursery Crime, but both albums mentioned earlier come really close, except for some really minor things.
Progaholic2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 09:57
My favorite album of all time
My least favorite album of all time is Duke
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 10:16
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Best Genesis line-up.

I think I agree.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 13:22
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Best Genesis line-up.
Could be, especially with Bruford joining the band on that one tour.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>