Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPassion vs Topographics vs Lamb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which following album do you consider the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [25.32%]
26 [32.91%]
33 [41.77%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 05:36
Nahh you are definitely not the only one. I know two other guys, in real life no less, who feel the same. It is just such a wonderful album and actually very diverse sounding. Highlights for me are 1) the drums!!! Monsieur Bunker is the best drummer they ever had imo 2) thrilling emotional guitar solos like fx the one found on We Used To Know 3) those wonderful extended rhythmic breaks they spice up the songs with - perhaps most noticeably in the ending minutes of Back To The Family. Brilliance.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 08:01
At first I was really disappointed to Stand Up. Great Finnish reviewer Jake Nyman said in Rock book that many thinks itīs the best Jethro-album. So my expectations were really high, when I was heard before it Thick as a Brick, Aqualung and Benefit. But after many listenings it become one of my Jethro favourites! itīs not just so prog, but has really great songs!

About drumming, Bunker is ok, but Barriemore is my man!
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 08:46
Lamb Lies by far for me...
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 13:33
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

For what it's worth, even after the first couple time of listening to Tales, it stuck with me. I remember "breaking in" that record on long stretches of road between towns/band rehearsals. The way those absolutely perfect 70's synths hit during the intro to "The Revealing Science of God" is burned into my soul. I've never felt the album was too long. Perhaps I'm just predisposed for unconventional stuff, and thus why Yes really clicks with me.

I guess we are all at least a little bit predisposed to unconventional stuff, otherwise why are we at a prog forum willing, and even eager, to find new unconventional stuff. The thing is how unconventional we like our music, and which kinds of unconventional each one of us likes.
I really started to go into unconventional stuff when started to listen prog in my early teens. I have two elder brothers who really havenīt ever been in prog. Before my progperiod I listen same music as they (southern rock, Country, Blues, old Rīn`R). But after prog hit me, I have really wanted to search the odd ways in the music. Over ten years ago I even started to like really experimental & avantgarde stuff. But In Tales I just think they havenīt got enough ideas to whole double. To me it sounds they`ve added to much ideas in Revealing (yes, I am thinking too itīs great) and then havenīt got enough ideas to second album. But, some odd reason, when I am in certain mood, the whole album works really well to me. It has happened only twice, second time was last time I listened it.

There was a time after I got into prog that I could hardly listen to more conventional pop or rock (or even metal) without getting bored and loosing my patience. I have come around and listen, or even enjoy, such things... as long as I consider the music good. But still I need to listen to prog and unconventional stuff in a regular basis. As for Revealing, that one is my favourite... actually almost the only song I really like on Tales... but I do feel, as you say, that they added too much to it... a few less changes of pace or melodies or whatever might have done some good to the song.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 15:54
Lamb lies etc. > A Passion Play >>>> Tales from etc.

'Tales' is one of the Yes albums I do not like so much. There are at least 5 Yes albums I like more.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 21:34
Referring back to the Tull comments above.......Stand Up and Benefit are  and have always been my favorite Tull albums (throw in Agualung too)....they are Tull being Tull. .....whatever the f**k that means.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 09:26
Dull
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 11:21
Had to go with 'Play. Not an wasted note; an effort that reportedly was done in relatively little time after the band had to shelve another problematic one they'd originally intended to release. Brilliant in all regards. The others seem a little overblown in both concept and execution. Both came with stories that not all participants were on board for the proceedings. They drag in places. Their popularity is questionable.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 13:40
^I think you talk albout Chateu D`isaster Tapes. They used very much of itīs material in a Passion Play, but of course those that are in 20 Years of Jethro Tull-box are really great and not in a Passion Play.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234