Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPassion vs Topographics vs Lamb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which following album do you consider the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [25.32%]
26 [32.91%]
33 [41.77%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 12:58
The Lamb is the best album ever. Nothing beats the Lamb. I give it 6 stars out of 5. Side three is the best of the four sides.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 15:37
Yes  wins ; I like Genesis and J Tull but not of these albums !!!
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 16:15
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 21:45
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Tales from Topographic Oceans may be overlong, and the only song I really love on the album is The Revealing Science of God... but that one is better than anything on the other two albums for me... so Tales.
What? Have you listened enough Passion & Lamb? I think theyīre both really great, to me Lamb is the greatest album by Genesis.

Actually, I must admit I have barely heard A Passion Play, but of the few times I did, I didn't find it so great, nor did I find any hooks to make me want to listen to it again and give it another chance... but I do know that might be a mistake and I should give it more listens... still I haven't bought it yet, so I guess I'll get to it later. The Lamb really doesn't do much for me, I think it was a step or two down from their previous albums, they just lost the touch and the atmosphere and so on... going mostly into shorter songs... just like Pink Floyd with The Wall (though I like The Wall much better than The Lamb).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 22:34
^Both albums grow me really slow, but when they hit, they hit really hard! I really remembered when bought a Passion Play after listened Thick As a Brick, Aqualung, Benefit, Stand Up, This Was, Warchild and Songs From the Wood and they all have hit almost immediately. Naturally expected a Passion Play be as great, but I think because itīs much more darker than Thick as a Brick, I just didnīt get into it at first. But now itīs really one of the greatest Tull albums to me. Also one thing noticed my first version was eighties re-issue, many years later bought the original and it has really much greater sounds! 

Also Lamb was the first Genesis album to me, I think I was 11 years then, the tittle song hit me immediately, but really not the whole album. But I kept on listening it and some years ago after that it hit really hard! I think Genesis were quote revolutionary that time, when Yes had just done overlong Topograph (I think that album is one reason to proghaters) they decided to put out concept double with short songs. All that really works me, really like also that a little bit paranoidic atmosphere and sounds in the album.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 00:48
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I trimmed the Lamb down to a single album. Some tracks don't interest me much. Some of the vocals are unbearable. Back in NYC sucks lol. The title song and It start well then the horrible vocals ruin them

Slipper, Cage, Anyway are definitely the best tracks. Scree, Lamia, Lifeless, Cuckoo, Chamber, Supernatural are other good ones

Hah, different strokes for different folks. I guess Gabriel's vocals don't bother me that much :)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 10:54
Tales
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 12:51
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

There was a hush along the Fulham Road...

Definitely, particularly with the release of A Passion Play - Extended Performance. Throwing in the great Skating Away and Solitaire certainly outweighs the half of Lamb that's any good.

The new sounds to be heard over the album, the extension to foot of the stairs and the great sound improvement to Big top, Left right and Audition make this release 25% better now
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 15:10
Yes, then Genesis
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 22:18

^Both albums grow me really slow, but when they hit, they hit really hard! I really remembered when bought a Passion Play after listened Thick As a Brick, Aqualung, Benefit, Stand Up, This Was, Warchild and Songs From the Wood and they all have hit almost immediately. Naturally expected a Passion Play be as great, but I think because itīs much more darker than Thick as a Brick, I just didnīt get into it at first. But now itīs really one of the greatest Tull albums to me. Also one thing noticed my first version was eighties re-issue, many years later bought the original and it has really much greater sounds! 

Also Lamb was the first Genesis album to me, I think I was 11 years then, the tittle song hit me immediately, but really not the whole album. But I kept on listening it and some years ago after that it hit really hard! I think Genesis were quote revolutionary that time, when Yes had just done overlong Topograph (I think that album is one reason to proghaters) they decided to put out concept double with short songs. All that really works me, really like also that a little bit paranoidic atmosphere and sounds in the album.

For me Tales is the one I keep expecting to end up hitting me hard. I really only love Revealing Science of God, the rest is patchy at best... enjoyable, but I don't really love it (at some points, perhaps not even enjoyable). But I still believe that is an album greater than just a rock (or even prog) album, something more... but still, I can't come to love it. When discussions about it appear around here, sometimes I'll get curious and put it on again... and yes, sitting or laying down and listening the the whole of it in one go really helps to enjoy it much better, but in the end I think Yes has much better songs... at least in a more traditional rock / prog sense.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 22:40

For me Tales is the one I keep expecting to end up hitting me hard. I really only love Revealing Science of God, the rest is patchy at best... enjoyable, but I don't really love it (at some points, perhaps not even enjoyable). But I still believe that is an album greater than just a rock (or even prog) album, something more... but still, I can't come to love it. When discussions about it appear around here, sometimes I'll get curious and put it on again... and yes, sitting or laying down and listening the the whole of it in one go really helps to enjoy it much better, but in the end I think Yes has much better songs... at least in a more traditional rock / prog sense.
I really love the Remembering too. It would be dynamite album with those two songs. On the other hand hard to think it that way when knowing itīs a double, I always listen it as whole (but not listen it often). Really shame there isnīt any live versions of Remembering, they played it only about half year after released the album, then never played it again.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 02:30

I really love the Remembering too. It would be dynamite album with those two songs. On the other hand hard to think it that way when knowing itīs a double, I always listen it as whole (but not listen it often). Really shame there isnīt any live versions of Remembering, they played it only about half year after released the album, then never played it again.

For what it's worth, even after the first couple time of listening to Tales, it stuck with me. I remember "breaking in" that record on long stretches of road between towns/band rehearsals. The way those absolutely perfect 70's synths hit during the intro to "The Revealing Science of God" is burned into my soul. I've never felt the album was too long. Perhaps I'm just predisposed for unconventional stuff, and thus why Yes really clicks with me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 11:31
Well, these three right here are my top 3 prog albums of all time XD

I'll give the vote to A Passion Play, since it's the most underrated of the bunch and it will get less votes.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 21:39
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

For what it's worth, even after the first couple time of listening to Tales, it stuck with me. I remember "breaking in" that record on long stretches of road between towns/band rehearsals. The way those absolutely perfect 70's synths hit during the intro to "The Revealing Science of God" is burned into my soul. I've never felt the album was too long. Perhaps I'm just predisposed for unconventional stuff, and thus why Yes really clicks with me.

I guess we are all at least a little bit predisposed to unconventional stuff, otherwise why are we at a prog forum willing, and even eager, to find new unconventional stuff. The thing is how unconventional we like our music, and which kinds of unconventional each one of us likes.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 22:10
We need some Tull fans in this GeneYes fan club. Tales of boring oceans should be last LOL

Edited by dr prog - February 10 2018 at 22:12
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 13:59
I voted for 'Lamb', but FWIW I consider all of these albums to be from bands after they peaked - albeit narrowly, in every case.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 22:37

I guess we are all at least a little bit predisposed to unconventional stuff, otherwise why are we at a prog forum willing, and even eager, to find new unconventional stuff. The thing is how unconventional we like our music, and which kinds of unconventional each one of us likes.
I really started to go into unconventional stuff when started to listen prog in my early teens. I have two elder brothers who really havenīt ever been in prog. Before my progperiod I listen same music as they (southern rock, Country, Blues, old Rīn`R). But after prog hit me, I have really wanted to search the odd ways in the music. Over ten years ago I even started to like really experimental & avantgarde stuff. But In Tales I just think they havenīt got enough ideas to whole double. To me it sounds they`ve added to much ideas in Revealing (yes, I am thinking too itīs great) and then havenīt got enough ideas to second album. But, some odd reason, when I am in certain mood, the whole album works really well to me. It has happened only twice, second time was last time I listened it.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 02:19

Yes, of course; I thought that was implied but perhaps I didn't articulate enough. There's a clear divide between the "types of weird" people enjoy here, that's for sure Cool

Tales is/was unconventional for the time due to its sheer volume of music. It was a herculean task at first listen!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 05:23
Went with the hare today, but it's really a tie between the lamb and it. My fave studio Tull album together with Stand Up.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 05:28
^ I love Stand Up, I thought I was the only one who had this album as a favorite :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>