Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Explain Your Avatar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Explain Your Avatar
    Posted: February 07 2018 at 11:04
There are a lot of interesting images under peoples names on this page. Many of them seen straight forward , a favorite album or artist, some are more obscure . For me it's an image from the inside of a Yes album I remember from my youth. Long before I knew anything about prog rock I use to flip through my brothers album collections and look at the artwork. The image I use is something I stumbled upon on the internet , something I hadn't seen in many years but I stuck in my head so I used it.

So , what's the story behind your avatar or other images or phrases you incorporate in to your posts?
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 11:16
Mine is a rotating gif of the image in this link
From the Rush album, Counterparts
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 11:18
Mine was a doodle that I did in college while I was smokin' weed and chillin' to some prog.  I kept drawing, erasing, re-drawing, and re-connecting these interwoven pathways with the intent of having a single, Moebius-like structure.  But having finished it, I realized it was actually two pathways knotted together.  I later entitled it "Knot Right".  The play on words seemed fitting.  The colored background was added when I started using it as an avatar, because B/W didn't stand out enough.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 11:20
A dude who found footprints in the snow.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 11:32
this should be in general non-music related section of PA ithink

my Avatar is showing iconic Disney ccharacters, i in general love Donald Duck..also honoring Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Walts first antropomorphic animated character

Edited by Icarium - February 07 2018 at 11:34
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 11:43
It's just me, playing on a gig that went very well, and my wife took that shot of me.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 12:07
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Mine was a doodle that I did in college while I was smokin' weed and chillin' to some prog.  I kept drawing, erasing, re-drawing, and re-connecting these interwoven pathways with the intent of having a single, Moebius-like structure.  But having finished it, I realized it was actually two pathways knotted together.  I later entitled it "Knot Right".  The play on words seemed fitting.  The colored background was added when I started using it as an avatar, because B/W didn't stand out enough.

Original art work, very cool!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 12:17
Yes...thread belongs in off topic not prog music section.....but avatar is of course......dr wu....an eastern sage and wise old man.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 12:32
I live in a lake.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 12:33
Friede and I use the same avatar, the cover of the first album of our band Bald Angels, "The Goat and the Donkey". it was produced in a limited edition of 500 copies only which we sold at our restaurant. the cover shows the two of us depicted by a befriended artist with Friede on the left and me on the right.

the cover of our second album "It's a Dog's Life", also in a limited edition of 500 copies, is extremely daring, so we chose not to use that one

Edited by BaldJean - February 07 2018 at 12:42

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 12:36
Mine is a cropped image of the Gentle Giant album cover In a Glass House. 

Usually this image is featured in a blue/black inverted hue, but I recently upgraded it to the much-rarer non-inverted image, scanned right from the Alucard CD edition booklet.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 12:37
But Dr Wu.....are you really just a shadow of the man that I once knew? Are you crazy, are you high, or just an ordinary guy?
Anyway...my avatar is rather obvious.....although it is also just how I feel after I teach my Year 11 bottom set on the last lesson on a Friday afternoon......Just a pool of tears!

Edited by Squonk19 - February 07 2018 at 12:40
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 12:43
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Friede and I use the same avatar, the cover of the first album of our band Bald Angels, "The Goat and the Donkey". it was produced in a limited edition of 500 copies only which we sold at our restaurant. the cover shows the two of us depicted by a befriended artist with Friede on the left and me on the right.

the cover of our second album "It's a Dog's Life", also in a limited edition of 500 copies, is extremely daring, so we chose not to use that one

Good to know, thought you were Bene Gesserit witches. *phew*

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 12:49
The site has an issue with censorship needing to cover nipples to keep 'the powers that be' happy so we end up marring perfectly good art. My avatar was a protest against that, I like it so I kept it.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 12:56
here is a slightly bigger image of our album cover:

if anyone is curious about the cover of our 2nd album I'll be glad to show it in a PM

Edited by BaldJean - February 07 2018 at 13:01

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 13:15
Mine is the picture of a drummer.......He is yelling at Alex "blah-blah-blah...blah!"

Edited by Catcher10 - February 07 2018 at 13:17
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 13:16
My Avatar is 'the long man of Wilmington', possibly/ probably a Neolithic (though this is still disputed)chalk-hill figure cut into the Windover hillside near Willmington in East Sussex. There are numerous other ancient Chalk hill figures including the White Horse of Uffington in Oxfordshire (Depicted on the front cover of XTC's fantastic 'English settlement' lp) and my actual first choice for an avatar, The Cerne Abbas giant in Dorset (more my neck of the woods) but I think that it would be censored due to its.. er.. 'rampant' depiction of an erect phallus.. I might give it a go and see what happens...

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 13:17
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

The site has an issue with censorship needing to cover nipples to keep 'the powers that be' happy so we end up marring perfectly good art. My avatar was a protest against that, I like it so I kept it.

I always wondered why you blurred the cows udder.Wink
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 13:19
Mine is an album cover featuring Catcher10's said drummer and aforementioned Alex.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 13:22
My avatar is a filtered photo (I used the Prisma app) of me in National Park The Veluwe holding a steeltonguedrum.

Here's the original:

Edited by Kingsnake - February 07 2018 at 13:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>