Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Explain Your Avatar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 04:31
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

It's been fun reading through people's responses here so far. Mine isn't too significant, just a detail from the cover of Herbie Hancock's Sextant that's centered in on a happy, carefree guy dancing his heart out in some sort of cosmic psychedelic vista, which I see as being not completely unlike me in real life. 

All of my past avatars on the site have also been album covers or cropped sections of album covers, usually with some sort of face in the forefront so as to be a bit more avatar-y. For the most part, they haven't had any real significance other than being favourites of mine for their vivid colour schemes (with a couple of notably uncolourful ones thrown in the mix). Anyone who's interested can look through them here; this is another fun thread in itself that I'd recommend for people to read through:

Killer record, and my favorite of the Mwandishi "trilogy".

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Skala View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 04:41
Mine is a part of the artwork I created for my musical project Unnote.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 05:26
Simply the album cover of Lifeforms by The Future Sound of London. Love the album, and love the artwork, and thought it more original than a prog rock album cover, for this forum, although the music is very progressive in its own way.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 05:34
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I call mine, "space nebula guy" and he appears on a few of my Mutiny in Jonestown album covers.  He began life as one of the "Dance on a Volcano" characters originally found on the back cover of the Trick of the Tail album.  About 30 years ago I redrew him holding a guitar instead of a cross ("Crosses are green and crosses are blue your friends didn't make it through...") and added the space nebula design I put on some of my instruments adopting him as my bands unofficial mascot Wink

StarECCE MIJ HOMO !Star
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 05:52
My feet in the air.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 06:26
This of course is the wizard from King Crimson's In the Wake of Poseidon. It's one of The 12 Archetypes or The 12 Faces of Humankind, painted by Tammo De Jongh. The 12 faces were painted individually, but apparently Tammo was asked to splice them together for the album cover, painting in transitions from one to the next, creating a very prog-like composition from several smaller compositions. You can see the boundaries of each painting despite the attempt to conceal them.

I think it's unfortunate, because each of the individual portraits is fantastic, but when they all got stuck together, each with equal importance, it became a rather bland composition.

My favorite has always been this - The Logician (Air and Fire). I think this should have been the cover, with The Enchantress (Water and Earth) on the back, but that would have broken up the set of 12 and wouldn't be right either.

Edited by stegor - February 11 2018 at 14:43
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 06:50
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

My daughter calls me "Beaver". 

Your current avatar reminds me of Tony R's:

[/QUOTE]

And she calls you beaver because you chew down trees in the back yard? LOL
I love that two legged horse as well. For some reason the site has never let me upload animated gifs.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 08:34
Mine's Kate Bush, what more can I say?
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 08:44
^ This was one of the one I was wondering about. I thought that was Kate but I wasn't sure.

Edited by Argo2112 - February 08 2018 at 08:45
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 09:05
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

And she calls you beaver because you chew down trees in the back yard? LOL

No, she knows well enough that I am too clumsy to build my own lodge Embarrassed. Moreover, unlike my grandma back in the day, I don't have long front teeth in my upper dentures. So I will not chew down the only tree in my backyard: a magnolia tree which I planted some 18 or 19 years ago.

Edited by someone_else - February 08 2018 at 09:19
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 10:52
Nothing to do with Gentle Giant. I once played soccer as goalkeeper, but I wasn't very good, so I have only half the arms that I should have.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 14:47
My avatar is from a scanned photograph of several scientists standing near the symbolic Doomsday Clock.

My signature is in response to Kellyanne Conway's "alternative facts" comment which she uttered 40 years after the Tom Baker Doctor Who episode which I quote from aired.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 15:06
^. ...and when the very powerful and the very stupid are the same person, sh*t gets scary.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 15:20
doc: I was a seasoned strategist
dopey: I enjoy looking at the stars in the night sky, listening prog
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 17:24
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

It's just me, playing on a gig that went very well, and my wife took that shot of me.
The gig went well but the picture didn't.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 17:50
Cos the album is cool Big smile

Edited by dr prog - February 09 2018 at 17:50
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 19:12
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

StarECCE MIJ HOMO !Star

Handshake
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 12:21
The three individual photos of Bruford, Fripp, and Wetton that were later used in the composite that graced the best album cover of 1974 - that's all.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 09:54
My previous avatar was cat who went missing and is presumed dead, so I changed my avatar to this pic of my Les Paul Classic Plus. My Les Paul was stolen early last summer, though, along with some high dollar guitar synths and effects devices. I've replaced many of the effects and synths, but I will be getting by for awhile with half way decent but cheap guitars. I'd like to get a Les Paul Classic Custom one day, but my next guitar will probably be a Gibson SG whenever I can swing the cash or credit. I haven't updated my avatar yet. I'm in no hurry, I suppose
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 10:05
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

^. ...and when the very powerful and the very stupid are the same person, sh*t gets scary.

Indeed.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>