14 [21.88%]
11 [17.19%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 11:42
I love Turn of the Cards but come on....The Yes Album obliterates it.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 17:23
I have and like both albums, but vote Yes. It's my second favourite Yes album -- I actually enjoy Yes' Time and a Word the most.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 18:25
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Turn Of the Cards as I absolutely can't stand Jon A. Wink

This, and in any case Yes will win this easily. So might as well vote for Turn of the Cards.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 21:46
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I don´t like Tarja Turunen. I think opera-style vocals belong to opera, not in popular music. Otherwise I really love personal style vocals in all music.

Now, why did Tarja come into the discussion. However, given that it was brought in, I do like Tarja well enough, and soprano singing in rock or metal or whatever doesn't bother me at all... it really brings some identity to the band. The most important thing is the music anyway, and how the elements are used. However, I do like Annie Haslam much more than Tarja. However, if you do happen to like Nightwish's music but would prefer a less operatic aproach, you might want to try out the albums with Floor Jansen... they got at least 2 live albums with many songs originally released with Tarja, but sung in a less operatic way (though she uses both styles anyway, but won't go operatic all the song). I still think Tarja's voice is more special, or unique, but Floor's is more versatile.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 01:45
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I voted for the finest Yes album ever made.
Easy choice as I can't stomach Annie's vocals for more than a couple of seconds at a time. 
These days I actually have a harder time with John Anderson's vocals. When I'm not in the mood I struggle to understand why I own all these Yes-albums. But the next day it may all fall into place again. 

I too had issues with Annie's so perfectly pristine, precious and pretty voice. But I think loving both the Mary Poppins and Sound of Music movies and OST's has helped a lot. Compared to my usual preferences none of this makes much sense but Turn of the Cards for me. All the songs are wonderful. While even on a good day I never felt The Yes Album being anywhere near the level of the bands following couple of classics.  

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 02:03
Never liked turn. So Yes.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 02:44
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I voted for the finest Yes album ever made.
Easy choice as I can't stomach Annie's vocals for more than a couple of seconds at a time. 
These days I actually have a harder time with John Anderson's vocals. When I'm not in the mood I struggle to understand why I own all these Yes-albums. But the next day it may all fall into place again. 

I too had issues with Annie's so perfectly pristine, precious and pretty voice. But I think loving both the Mary Poppins and Sound of Music movies and OST's has helped a lot. Compared to my usual preferences none of this makes much sense but Turn of the Cards for me. All the songs are wonderful. While even on a good day I never felt The Yes Album being anywhere near the level of the bands following couple of classics.  

Beneath the appearance of being too precious, Annie's voice has an appealing undertone of melancholy which is just naturally there (and not affected to manipulate a feeling into existence).  Most prog rock singers don't have it and certainly not Jon Anderson whose supposedly Eastern-like 'chanting' does nothing for me.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 02:57
I've actually never thought of that before, but yes Annie does have a Julie Andrews like "quality" to her vocals. I don't like her either...well I do but I prefer her talking not singing.
It's just...too pretty for it's own good. A singer that sports many of the same facets to her style yet manage to captivate me is Lisa Gerrard. I absolutely adore Lisa.

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 11 2018 at 03:10
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 03:02
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Beneath the appearance of being too precious, Annie's voice has an appealing undertone of melancholy which is just naturally there (and not affected to manipulate a feeling into existence). Most prog rock singers don't have it and certainly not Jon Anderson whose supposedly Eastern-like 'chanting' does nothing for me.
Yes that's true. Guess I can't claim the same about Julie Andrews. I think a song such as Cold Is Being would be an unbearable listen performed in that manipulative use of voice, but with Annie it comes across deep-felt in a very "straight forward" way. Still Jon Anderson occasionally works like magic... well to me he does. Listening to his vocal contribution on Lizard makes me wonder if it would have worked better delivering other lyricists darker edged words - similar to Greg Lake on Kc's two first records.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 03:03
And I get bored to death by Lisa Gerrard LOL; that's why we all have different tastes.  Speaking of the way Annie talks, it has a certain animated vivaciousness coupled with the odd helping of British humour neither of which really translate to the music.  Not her fault to the extent she doesn't write the music (but even left to herself, she has pretty square taste in music, I am afraid). LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 03:16
Well there you go
Some times though, very rarely, I jump ship. I used to hate olives fx. Today I love em.

I also prefer Jon's cameo on Lizard to pretty much any other bit of vocals he's done in his life. Then comes Heaven & Hell.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 03:17
ACk! Cannot decide, cannot decide.  
Maybe lean a little more toward Yes, but Turn of the Cards has too many fantastic tracks! Voted both.

Z
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 03:18
Yeah...no
Heh...I usually try out a Renaissance album whenever these talks come up...and no just no. Seriously her voice hurts my teeth.

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 03:23

Yeah...no
Heh...I usually try out a Renaissance album whenever these talks come up...and no just no. Seriously her voice hurts my teeth.

As you said, it's the way most people react to James LaBrie. I totally get the feeling though I don't get it with Annie's voice. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 08:47
yeah but Annie's feet rule over LaBrie's hair....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 13:48
Annie's my fave but I do enjoy Annet's from Nightwish as well Embarrassed
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 13:50
I'm also inclined to agree that "Prince Rupert Awakes" was a perfect vehicle for Jon Anderson's voice, though I also love his work on "In High Places" with Mike Oldfield
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123